[TC] Hyperion vangared load out

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

froger
x4

Hyperion vangared load out

Post by froger » Wed, 23. Jun 10, 20:10

i have 4 ion shard rail guns and concusion cannon mounted any thing i shoud have that i don,t no guns on turrets.Thanks in advance

Shootist
x4

Re: Hyperion vangared load out

Post by Shootist » Wed, 23. Jun 10, 20:35

froger wrote:i have 4 ion shard rail guns and concusion cannon mounted any thing i shoud have that i don,t no guns on turrets.Thanks in advance
I went with 6 ISR front w/tractor beam, PACs in turrets 1 and 2, EBC in 3 and 4..

Dis Astranagant
x4

Post by Dis Astranagant » Wed, 23. Jun 10, 21:06

Hepts on the front turrets (set on attack my target), pacs on the back (set on missile defence), EBC/PBG/PBE in the main (the combo changes dependent on situation).
You shouldn't mount M6 weapons on Hype cause you'll drain energy fast which may become a problem in prolonged fights.
EBC and PBG are the best for the main battery cause they drain NO/very little energy so your front turrets can also fire almost non-stop.
Killing things goes very quickly that way.

Kryten
x4

Post by Kryten » Wed, 23. Jun 10, 21:53

If you'r flying it yourself or using it for in sector fighting then 8 hepts on main guns and pacs everywhere else. With this setup and turrets set to attack all enemies then you should only really need to use the main guns for the occasional m3 and M6 and above.

I tried the ion shard rail guns, wasn't impressed that much.#

With hepts and pacs a hyperion can take out a large Kha'ak cluster on automatic controls. Its easily the best M6 for novice players although inititially getting one isn't so easy :o
X2 Vet
X3 Recruit
[ external image ]
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

yann_leei
x3tc

Post by yann_leei » Thu, 24. Jun 10, 00:58

problem with isr's is that they're horribly inaccurate. can't reliably hit anything smaller than an m6; has trouble with m6's at max range for that matter

really it depends on what you're hunting. HEPTs are among the more energy efficient weapons when it comes to shield damage, but CIGs give you a bit more front-loaded damage as well as more hull damage. on the other hand, the CIG's ability to spin around fighters actually gets in the way against m3's, which are tough enough to not be one-shotted but light enough to still be spun around, making it harder to land the finishing blow

i'd say if your prey is m3's and smaller, pure HEPTs in your main bay, then PACs on all turrets. if your prey is corvettes and the occasional frigate, i'd say 2-4 CIGs with the rest HEPTs in your main, and PACs in all turrets. although the front turrets can mount HEPTs as well, i tend to use them to swat m4's & m5, while m3's and larger deserve the attention of my main battery

Shootist
x4

Post by Shootist » Thu, 24. Jun 10, 02:33

yann_leei wrote:problem with isr's is that they're horribly inaccurate. can't reliably hit anything smaller than an m6; has trouble with m6's at max range for that matter

really it depends on what you're hunting. HEPTs are among the more energy efficient weapons when it comes to shield damage, but CIGs give you a bit more front-loaded damage as well as more hull damage. on the other hand, the CIG's ability to spin around fighters actually gets in the way against m3's, which are tough enough to not be one-shotted but light enough to still be spun around, making it harder to land the finishing blow

i'd say if your prey is m3's and smaller, pure HEPTs in your main bay, then PACs on all turrets. if your prey is corvettes and the occasional frigate, i'd say 2-4 CIGs with the rest HEPTs in your main, and PACs in all turrets. although the front turrets can mount HEPTs as well, i tend to use them to swat m4's & m5, while m3's and larger deserve the attention of my main battery
To me ISRs are a pure anti-fighter weapon, and with auto aim on, my Hyp eats small fighters and fighter drones like they're lunch. The bullet has 500km speed and 3.3km range, IIRC, and when bunched in the nose of the Hyp its like a shotgun blast for anything in the way. A fleeing fighter will almost always die.

And I cannot hit much of anything smaller than a M6 with HEPT. The round is too slow. Personal taste I suppose.

yann_leei
x3tc

Post by yann_leei » Thu, 24. Jun 10, 03:23

your numbers are right, but the problem with the ISR is that it doesn't shoot straight. even with autoaim on, shooting with boresight, it makes no difference if the projectile doesn't fly straight

sure, with 8 of them, you'll down a fighter fairly quickly, but only after wasting 90% of your shots and a boatload of your energy reserves.

i did a quick test. my hyperion, target is my stationary tenjin, directly behind the target. distance, 2.00km. single fire, auto-aim on, boresight firing

first, ISR
took 29 shots before i hit the target. now of course, there's some randomness to this, but just keep this number in mind.

next, HEPT
out of 30, i hit 17 times. roughly half the shots hit, basically.

next, CIG
CIG was a bit of a pain in that each hit spun around the target, making it harder to remain true to the 'directly behind' aspect. still, out of 5 shots, 5 hits. i didn't see the need to continue to 30

next, i decided to fire in clusters. 5 shot groupings. 4 tries
ISR. 0/5, 0/5, 0/5, 1/5
HEPT. 3/5, 3/5, 2/5, 2/5
CIG. well, here's where the CIG has issues, spinning the target around makes subsequent shots harder to land.

now, against moving targets the game changes a little given the ISR's higher projectile speed, but again that's meaningless in light of how the projectile doesn't actually go in the direction auto-aim predicts is necessary (based on the targets' current speed and direction) to land a hit

tl;dr ISR sucks at hitting fighters.

yann_leei
x3tc

Post by yann_leei » Thu, 24. Jun 10, 03:49

oh, an addendum
against fighters, some of the best guns out there for corvettes are PACs, PBEs, and PRG's (not counting PALCs for rarity, PBGs for aoe, and flak for size reasons)

PBE's are great, but their range is limited, and they gobble energy
PRG's are one of my favorites, but the hyperion can't mount them
PAC's therefore are probably your best anti-fighter option for the hyperion. load up your turrets with them and you can forget about fighters for the most part, unless there's a dozen of them at once

now, back to CIG/ISR/HEPT. ISR's consume 1.5x the energy of the CIG, which already uses a lot for the hyperion's generators. their added projectile speed isn't actually fast enough to counter fighters' maneuverability; in the end, be it CIG/ISR/HEPT, you're going to be scoring most of your hits when the target is moving in a straight line

now, the ISR's faster projectile means the fighter has to be moving in a straight line for less time, but its small projectile profile and proven inaccuracy means that, you may need a smaller window of time to get your best chance of hitting, but your best chance of hitting is still awful.

the CIG on the other hand, means you need a larger window of time, but you *will* hit it once you have that window. and the CIG's front loaded damage often means, with m4's and 5's at least, a 1-shot kill

CIGs give you versatility, popping small fighters and frigates alike. ISR's take 1.5x the energy for marginally more shield damage *if* you even hit, which is a big if for anything smaller than m6

Shootist
x4

Post by Shootist » Thu, 24. Jun 10, 04:17

I must aim differently than you.

froger
x4

Post by froger » Thu, 24. Jun 10, 05:00

i am use ing the hv 'aka hyporien'to cap other m6,s easy to take with one marine :)

yann_leei
x3tc

Post by yann_leei » Thu, 24. Jun 10, 16:38

Shootist wrote:I must aim differently than you.
perhaps. i should also mention, i'm playing on 2.7, pure vanilla. i don't know, perhaps some of the weapon mods out there improve the ISR's accuracy.

if you're also playing 2.7 vanilla though, go ahead and try it yourself. you probably never realized how many shots you were wasting by virtue of employing 8 at a time (if it took ~20-something shots to score 1 hit with 1 ISR, then with 8, it'd only take ~3 to score a single hit with one of the eight). but take the time to try it yourself. park a fighter ~2km away, enable a single ISR, line yourself up perfectly with video enhancement goggles, and peck away with autoaim/boresight and count the hits and misses

edit: test repeated with the xenon M. boresight firing has a tendency to aim at turrets, and given the tenjin's turret layout, a rear profile may be one of the harder to hit (i wasn't the one who mentioned fighters fleeing though). so this time, tried it with the M. m4 fighter, no turrets, side profile and thus easiest to hit. screenies included:

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/7161 ... n00002.jpg
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7879 ... n00003.jpg

this time, the ISR's accuracy significantly improved. 1 hit every 5-8 shots. still lots of misses, and very WIDE misses at that. on the other hand, the HEPT's accuracy improved to 1 MISS every 5 shots. CIG, of course, still 100%.

so again, ISR is probably one of the least accurate guns out there

mm, not even close
http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/8840 ... 00004e.jpg
again, this shot would've missed some corvettes
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/8962 ... n00008.jpg
FINALLY a hit (notice i've crept up to 1.98km in the time it takes to actually hit the darn thing
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/5666 ... n00010.jpg

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”