Towing two ships?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Bishop149
x3

Towing two ships?

Post by Bishop149 » Wed, 7. Jul 10, 14:44

I have quite few capped ships lying around that I need to get to a shipyard. There a quite a few and I'd rather not mess around with shipping them all jumpdrive etc, beside the towing trips will me a chance to do some empire maintance on route!

So several ships have multiple turrets which can mount a Tractor beam, thinking Heavy Nemesis (as I have one lying around) on both left and right turrets.

Can I tow 2 ships at once?

Anyone tried it?
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 7. Jul 10, 15:07

I don't think so. At least in X3R you can have only one "beam cord". For example, I fire a frontal TB to get a lock on Mine and then turn 180 before accelerating. The beam does not originate from the weapon hardpoint, but from the center of my vessel.

And when I then fire the TB again, ship bow now pointing to void, the existing cord vanishes.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 7. Jul 10, 15:27

Hmm. If you equip 2 ships with TBs, can you hook one up to a ship hulk and then change ship while still maintaining the tow (probably not I guess)? If so, perhaps you could then tow one ship towing another?

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Wed, 7. Jul 10, 16:01

jlehtone wrote:I don't think so. At least in X3R you can have only one "beam cord". For example, I fire a frontal TB to get a lock on Mine and then turn 180 before accelerating. The beam does not originate from the weapon hardpoint, but from the center of my vessel.

And when I then fire the TB again, ship bow now pointing to void, the existing cord vanishes.
Yes but you only have the beam on one turret, no? Fireing the same beam again always disconnects it (unless you still have it pointed at the target obviously). But another beam?

I'll try it, the problem I anticipate is that as you say the beam always originate from the center of the vessel and the towed ship always ends up directly behind you once you start moving.

I've I have two ships towed I reckon they'll try to move to the same point directly behind me and collide.

Guess I'll have to suck it and see.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 7. Jul 10, 16:06

Bishop149 wrote:Yes but you only have the beam on one turret, no? Fireing the same beam again always disconnects it (unless you still have it pointed at the target obviously). But another beam?
Forgot to add that bit.

Playing X3R, the Mines have a tendency to spin, losing the touch. Rather than 180 and re-lock, I then fire TB from back turret. And when the Mine reaches destination, I do fire the front gun to void in order to break the beam created by the back gun ...

patient zero
x3tc

Post by patient zero » Wed, 7. Jul 10, 18:56

Alan Phipps wrote:If you equip 2 ships with TBs, can you hook one up to a ship hulk and then change ship while still maintaining the tow?
I tried this in X3R and it didn't work. Exiting your ship will automatically disable the tow beam. Haven't tried it in TC.
This is only a virtual reality.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Wed, 7. Jul 10, 22:26

Yep doesn't work.

Right turret Tractor beam on tow target I

Left turret Tractor beam on tow target II

Second bem disconnects 1st one, oh well it was a nice idea.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”