Large Mine what size asteroid

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Palladin888
x3tc

Large Mine what size asteroid

Post by Palladin888 » Fri, 16. Jul 10, 03:36

So i am planing to buy a large ore and silicon mine. What is the advisable yield for the asteroid to base such mines on?

Allan F
x3ap

Post by Allan F » Fri, 16. Jul 10, 03:37

As big as possible. Not below 26.
Maverick: Requesting permission for flyby.
Air Boss Johnson: That's a negative ghostrider, the pattern is full.
Goose: No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.
Maverick: Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz a Split.
Split: Split now give you .... Aaaarrriiiigh.

Palladin888
x3tc

Post by Palladin888 » Fri, 16. Jul 10, 04:03

WHats big though. Largest i foundso far is a 70 yeild silicon roid...I ploped a large min on it.

The largest ore i have found is 58ish

Solomon Short
x4

Post by Solomon Short » Fri, 16. Jul 10, 04:46

There's 2 things to consider here, Duration of Production Cycle, & Output per Production Cycle.

Asteroid yield is inversely proportional to Cycle Duration (i.e. Higher Yeild = Shorter Cycle).

Mine Size determines Cyclic Production (i.e. M produces less per Cycle than L).

The general consensus of the boards seems to be that it is wasteful to place mines on Asteroids of <26 yeild (as the previous poster) mentioned, though going lower just means they take longer to "break-even".

Also, using M mines is inherently less economical, except for placement on Asteroids you wish to permanent remove from the map (Place mine, Self Destruct Mine, Asteroid permanently gone, no respawn), as they produce less than an L mine each cycle (remember cycle length is the same), & can't be removed. So L mines cost more to start with, but are pretty much all you should use.

NUKLEAR-SLUG
x3tc

Post by NUKLEAR-SLUG » Fri, 16. Jul 10, 05:19

You should only ever really use L size as you can't upgrade from an M but in terms of yields ignore any advice to avoid lower than 26. Provided you're making use of the production then any yield is of value. 26 just happens to be a convenient figure for balancing complexes but you can just as easily tie two yield 13 together to get a 26, the output will be the same.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Fri, 16. Jul 10, 18:43

The lowest yield that I accept for scale L Mines is 0. :teladi:

If there was no other reason to despise the plot in these games, then the X3R plot forcing one to build a mere scale M Mine was enough a reason. :shock:
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

DreamsofanEagle

Post by DreamsofanEagle » Fri, 16. Jul 10, 20:30

there is no good reason for not using say a 25 or so yeild, or for that matter even lower roids. Just because there are some high yeild roids in other sectors, it can make it difficult to exploit those, micromanagment wise, thus negating your efforts. What point is having a 70 yeild roid sitting halfway across the galaxy if you can't keep it stocked or products flowing into your complex.

Micromanagement can realyl suck sometimes.

Palladin888
x3tc

Post by Palladin888 » Fri, 16. Jul 10, 20:43

SO far i have ploped a large mine of a 70 yeild roid in asteroid belt the only jump sector in the Terran area.

There are some other good roids in the deeper unknown sectors in the back of the Terran area but I'm probably not going to use them cause JUMP drives do not work back there.

Reimu Hakurei
x3tc

Post by Reimu Hakurei » Fri, 16. Jul 10, 21:01

Palladin888 wrote:SO far i have ploped a large mine of a 70 yeild roid in asteroid belt the only jump sector in the Terran area.

There are some other good roids in the deeper unknown sectors in the back of the Terran area but I'm probably not going to use them cause JUMP drives do not work back there.
Spoiler
Show
After the Aldrin Expansion plot, a gate will be constructed between Neptune and the new sectors, which also have gates between themselves. You could use the Neptune gate to get to the back of the Solar system more easily.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”