[TC] Scanning small mobile-mining-size asteroids.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Paranidoid

Scanning small mobile-mining-size asteroids.

Post by Paranidoid » Fri, 23. Jul 10, 19:01

I haven't bothered with mobile mining until now but I kind of want to give it a shot since I started over and want to try new things. I have a particular question but any tips are welcome.

I'm not sure how mobile mining actually works but I presume you brake up the smaller asteroids, the ones that you can't put a mine on, and scoop them up in your ship. I have the prospector mod but I'm still early in the game so I can't afford an automated prospector just yet. I also read on the forum that while OOS mobile mining can be infinite and provide a continuous source of income so I don't feel like having this brake my start experience just yet.

What I want to do right now is explore the universe and try out new things like doing some missions or mobile mining while on my flyabout.

My question is how do I know what "yield" or type of ore the smaller broken asteroid fields are since I can't seem to be able to scan them. I have the mineral scanner but the commands I've found so far only scan the big mineble asteroids, not the smaller ones. Are the smaller ones just clutter and I should brake up a big asteroid that I've scanned then mine that?

Thank you.

Laden Swallow
x3tc

Post by Laden Swallow » Fri, 23. Jul 10, 20:43

To start mobile mining, the minimum amount of equipment you would need is a TS with a turret mounted laser (any will do for 'debris rocks'), a mineral scanner and special command software. With this you can get your freighter to mine and trade minerals (under the trade sub-menu) and it will mine a most profitable mineral locally and automatically sell the mineral to nearby factories and resume mining when finished. With this done the freighter becomes a continuous supply of money for a fairly cheap cost, yet at the same time a fairly standard rate of return on investment.

I'm not sure what the prospector scripts can do, but I rely fairly heavily on mobile mining in my games and, between the stock scripts and the bonus pack, can manage some fairly nifty mobile mining tricks.

To scan 'debris rocks' all you need to do is fly very close to them (<5km usually) and select them using the 't' key with the rocks in your boresight. If you then press 'i' you should see a box appear next to the sidebar with the mineral type. Yields don't seem to have a significant part to play in the game since v2.1 which is the point that they introduced respawning 'debris rocks'.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”