[TC] Possible to capture a Carrack using a TP full of marines?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

wgentry99
x3tc

Possible to capture a Carrack using a TP full of marines?

Post by wgentry99 » Mon, 26. Jul 10, 17:55

I'm asking this question because in my Unholy Traitor start the sector i've been using to prey on Split and Paranid shipping has attracted the attention of 2 carracks. So is it possible? Or should I just tuck my tail between my legs and pack up camp? P.S. The marines i'm thinking of are just the beginning ones i can get out of the nearby Argon Military Outpost would it be possible with them or would they need to be trained up?

Rive
x3tc

Post by Rive » Mon, 26. Jul 10, 17:58

Theoretically speaking: it's possible.

Practically: forget it, especially with stock marines and without boarding practice.

Ps.: keep an eye on those Carracks - when/if they go boom by a military patrol they might drop some loot if you are IS.

wizrd755
x2

Post by wizrd755 » Mon, 26. Jul 10, 21:18

Another thing to watch out for is I've had Carracks self-destruct with my Marines on-board.... Not since v2.5, but I know 100% I had 2 self terminate with my marines on Deck 3...

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 26. Jul 10, 21:31

Sounds more like you just had some marines with poor Mechanical skill. The hull is taking damage during the entire boarding operation, and how much it takes depends on your marines' Mech skill--so a bunch of lowly skilled marines, along with perhaps an over-heavy trigger finger keeping the target ship's shields down, can easily result in the ship blowing up. Can happen to any ship, as well, not just Carracks.

Rive
x3tc

Post by Rive » Mon, 26. Jul 10, 21:55

Erm... Engineering?

StarTroll
x4

Post by StarTroll » Tue, 27. Jul 10, 00:42

Yep engineering, mechanical beinf the skill for hull cutting.
SCUM : They may exceed you in number, but not in value.

Chris0132
xr

Post by Chris0132 » Tue, 27. Jul 10, 01:00

Carracks are frigates aren't they?

If so, yeah it will be hard. Generally you start the marines on M6s and work up, and make sure to spend ages/a fortune training their skills as well.

TBH marines are kinda useless, you need boatloads of them and lots of training/practice to capture anything actually worth capturing, and probably an M7 with boarding pods to get them there, and several extra squads because some of them are likely to get shot down.

Basically a lot of time and effort for something you can buy for 100m credits.

They are only really useful if you're bored out of your mind and need something very inefficient to occupy your time.

StarTroll
x4

Post by StarTroll » Tue, 27. Jul 10, 01:13

Or to get ships you can't otherwise, or with some pain.
Can't get :
- ATF ships
- Xenon ships
- Pirate ships
- #deca
- Aran
- Aggy
- Hyperion Vanguard

Bothersome to get :
- Yaki ships
- Any ennemy main race

By the way you need marines to capture the Orca with the PHQ. They also serve well to cap capships to tock IBLs. And yes the Carrack is an M7, the smallest of the category and seems more like a M6++ with its small profile and overall stats.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 27. Jul 10, 01:59

Chris0132 wrote:....
They are only really useful if you're bored out of your mind and need something very inefficient to occupy your time.
Nonsense! You can make big bucks with decently trained marines and an M7M. 20 is all you'll ever need at one time once they get trained to a sufficient level. In my current game, I've been stealing TL's, M7's, M7M's, even M2's, right and left. I've got a total of 59 marines, most currently in training, but 20+ kept out for boarding ops.

So far in my current game, I've stolen 2 Albatrosses, a Hercules, an Orca, an Elephant, a Kraken, three Ares, a Cobra, 2 Deimos, 2 Threshers, a Ray and a Shark. Not bad for the loss of less than a dozen marines and maybe 30 million in training costs (so far). Add up the total value of all those ships and you're talking around 750 million credits. Not bad for something you call "something very inefficient to occupy your time". :D

Boarding is a skill the player needs to learn in order to do it efficiently. Until you learn that skill, mostly through trial and error, you will be inefficient at it. But let me tell you, it's very satisfying once you do learn it. :D
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

StarTroll
x4

Post by StarTroll » Tue, 27. Jul 10, 02:56

If you take a look here you'll see that Nanook gave an approximative total cost for a marine training, being 12 million credits. You have 240 million credits for a full batch, which can be repaid in only 6 captured M2 (selling them quite cheap too).

So far I capped over 70 ships, of which you have 3 Hyperion Vanguards, 3 Ares, 6 Zeus, 4 Odysseus, 2 Hercules, 3 Aggys, 8 Ryus, 6 Akuma, 4 Shuri, 2 Galleon, 3 Brigandine, 3 Carracks, 1 Pirate Osprey, 1 Raptor (with 30 fighters still in the hangar), 4 Atmospheric Lifter, 3 Tyr, 1 Odin, 4 Skirnir, 2 Aegir, 2 Vali and 3 Aran. I think my list is quite complete concerning all my caps...oh I forgot the plot Orca.
If you add to that all the acquired equipement like those 200+ IBL and 30+ PSP you end up with loads of credits, though I'm currently too lazy to calculate the overall value of all the said ships.

Pyre
x3ap

Post by Pyre » Tue, 27. Jul 10, 10:22

I know Carracks can mount Flaks on the bottom turret...Can they spawn with Flaks onboard?

If so... I wouldn't stick a TP anywhere near one.

StarTroll
x4

Post by StarTroll » Tue, 27. Jul 10, 14:36

I've killed a good number of them and I've never seen one with FAA in front, mainly CIGs, and a rare few times IPG.

bung_dorji
x4

Post by bung_dorji » Thu, 29. Jul 10, 08:28

Are you sure you want to board it using space walk ? Tell me if your TP can hold longer than 1 minutes :D because beside he is fast, he also shot you even your marine cannot get closer to pass the FAA just like mine . :evil:

Tell me if you already succed and also please tell me how many load do you need before you accomplished it :D
It is hard to live since the xenon and kha'ak patrol recentrly

sleepy_head
x3tc

Post by sleepy_head » Thu, 29. Jul 10, 13:37

Is it 'possible'? Yes, I suppose it is. Do you *want* to? Probably not. Spacewalking is broken beyond belief, if your target is a very slow or stationary ship like an Aran or one of those derelict from the Return Ship mission, yeah. But otherwise the design and the interface will put you through hell. It is much better to get yourself a m7m. But even then, prepare for lots of reloads and frustrations.

Pyre
x3ap

Post by Pyre » Fri, 30. Jul 10, 14:17

StarTroll wrote:I've killed a good number of them and I've never seen one with FAA in front, mainly CIGs, and a rare few times IPG.
I'm sure i typed in bottom turret :D

Sure, it's only down the bottom, but in space, your TP could approach from the wrong angle, and if a FAA's installed... your TP is toast before you know it!

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Fri, 30. Jul 10, 14:47

Chris0132 wrote:Carracks are frigates aren't they?

If so, yeah it will be hard. Generally you start the marines on M6s and work up, and make sure to spend ages/a fortune training their skills as well.

TBH marines are kinda useless, you need boatloads of them and lots of training/practice to capture anything actually worth capturing, and probably an M7 with boarding pods to get them there, and several extra squads because some of them are likely to get shot down.

Basically a lot of time and effort for something you can buy for 100m credits.

Once you get 20 decent marines and an M7M anything bigger than an M6 is free. With that you can get a ship worth 100mill every 10-15mins.
Its not a lot of effort, its not a lot of time and is rediculously lucrative. Plus there's the fact most of the best ships in the game you can only get by boarding.
So really I disagree with your post entirely.

[SOLAR]INFERNO
x4

Post by [SOLAR]INFERNO » Sat, 31. Jul 10, 16:41

I know it might sound a stupid question but can you capture s/m/l orbital weapons platforms?

Pyre
x3ap

Post by Pyre » Sat, 31. Jul 10, 18:22

Don't think you can board OWPs without scripts

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 31. Jul 10, 18:22

No, you can't.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”