[TC] Spacefly hunting - any way to make your IoD back turret attack spaceflies around you?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

kurush
x3tc

Spacefly hunting - any way to make your IoD back turret attack spaceflies around you?

Post by kurush » Thu, 29. Jul 10, 21:35

Splits are supposed to hunt spaceflies, right? Why none of their ships appear to be suitable for the spacefly hunt then? Some of their TS and TP can mount IOD on their back turrets but how you are supposed to use it when attacking spaceflies? Is it possible to set them to enemies somehow so that the turret will attack?

Aro
x4

Post by Aro » Thu, 29. Jul 10, 21:57

Could hop in the turret to fire but forward guns normally stun a bunch of them anyway. Takes a while just to collect the already stunned ones while zapping them once in a while to keep them there.
[ external image ]
The end of a trilogy does not mean an end to a series.
| Vanilla with strawberries? [List of Vanilla safe mods.] | Tired of the plots? [Plot Skipper Tool v0.5] |
| X3: R & TC Minimaps |

Reimu Hakurei
x3tc

Post by Reimu Hakurei » Fri, 30. Jul 10, 10:44

It is indeed odd that they're unsuitable... but then again, I think the Split do mostly rely on pirates to do the work. They're known for PBGs but Blastclaws can mount IDs too.
There's no default command that makes a turret shoot spaceflies; you might have better luck asking in the scriping & modding section. There is a spacefly hunting script I know of that you can give AI ships, and apparently it's very effective, but that's only been made for X3R.
Aro wrote:Could hop in the turret to fire but forward guns normally stun a bunch of them anyway.
There don't appear to be any Split ships that can use IDs up front, and I think only the Raptor and Iguana can use them anywhere at all.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 30. Jul 10, 21:22

The Boa and some of the TS's can also use ID's in their turrets. But that's about it. No Split fighter can use them in it's main guns. Maybe that's why the Split like to steal and fly Boron ships. :twisted:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 30. Jul 10, 22:15

The Iguana is the spacefly collector of choice for the Split, I think--that was the idea back in X2, where it was the *only* Split ship with Ion Disruptor capability, and I think it's been brought forward. High-ranking Split like to cruise in a bit of luxury when they're hunting defenceless creatures, after all! :-)

OmegaKnight
x3tc

Post by OmegaKnight » Mon, 2. Aug 10, 04:15

True back in X2 the Iguana was the only Split ship with Ion D's as main (cockpit) guns, a few others had them on turrets, which made the Iguana the ideal Spit ship for hunting.
Indeed back in X2 the Iguana was my favourite ship. (or the Paranid Demeter, K killing with a mining laser or Helix of Doom as I like to remember it :twisted: was so much fun! but I digress...)

But things have slowed in the universe since then, in both speed and turning. (Turning: X2 ~15, X3R ~10.5, X3TC ~6.5 IIRC)

So if the Iguana is still supposed to be the Split's Space fly hunter of choice, pjknibbs (or anyone else in the know),
why in TC did the Iguana's (and Vanguard variant) main (cockpit) guns get switched for a front turret and then take away Ion D compatibility from this new front turret? (now has frag' bomb launchers instead)

If Split VIPs like to go out hunting I don't see them operating a catch and release policy :lol:, so being able to shoot them with the rear turret, isn't too good when they will have most likely flown off again by the time the Iguana turns around, it's no better than the Caiman now :( and worse than a Boa :(.

So, if I may be so bold as to make a little request, in the next patch (assuming there is going to be one, of course :)) could the Iguana Vanguard (as it's a fairly rare ship and so it wouldn't have such a large impact on game balance) have it's front turret switched back to main (cockpit) guns, given Ion D capability in these guns once again, and if your feeling really generous, up its steering by 1 or 2. To make it into the Space fly hunter it once was, Please.

Twest09
x3tc

Post by Twest09 » Mon, 2. Aug 10, 07:33

I concur, the Iguana is completely out of touch with the X Universe in X3TC... I've been contemplating this for some time now myself. Really it shouldn't be hard to fix the Vanguard version back to having Ion D Main Gun compatibility so as to have it actually fit the dang Universe story.... and it wouldn't be imbalanced at all considering you "can" go spacefly hunting in already better ships...

Aro
x4

Post by Aro » Mon, 2. Aug 10, 07:34

Not used an Iggy much since X2, they don't make 'em like they used to. It was a fine personal ship back then.

Forgot to mention the usage of M6's for a few spacefly hunts done. Was visiting UFJD space so wanted a bit of extra protection.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”