M8 Bombers X3TC

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Hyppe
x3tc

M8 Bombers X3TC

Post by Hyppe » Sat, 31. Jul 10, 20:48

Tried the search but couldn't find an answer... so, I haven't used this class before and I started wondering if these things work OOS?

And if they do, what's the distance to the enemy when they fire their missiles?

Just wondering if i can use M8s for killing stuff coming out of a gate :P

DDM_Reaper20
x3tc

Re: M8 Bombers X3TC

Post by DDM_Reaper20 » Sat, 31. Jul 10, 21:33

Hyppe wrote:Tried the search but couldn't find an answer... so, I haven't used this class before and I started wondering if these things work OOS?

And if they do, what's the distance to the enemy when they fire their missiles?

Just wondering if i can use M8s for killing stuff coming out of a gate :P
OOS calculations are done completely differently. Were they done in the sammer manner as those for IS combat, the strain on the CPU would be much, much greater, and the game would be inplayable on any machine.

As it is, OOS, range is not a factor, neither are ROF and muzzle velocity. Firepower and shields count. The heaviest-hitting weapons are, therefore, preferable.

IIRC, firing missile(s) automatically ends a ship's turn. A destroyer set at 100% missile firing, and only loaded with Wasps, is therefore likely to lose a firefight against a destroyer armed with PPCs and no missiles selected, 'cause it'll only fire a Wasp, whereas the opposition will unload with PPCs. :D
Last edited by DDM_Reaper20 on Sat, 31. Jul 10, 22:40, edited 1 time in total.

efernal
x3tc

Post by efernal » Sat, 31. Jul 10, 21:40

they are worthless unless you have them parked at a distance and give them fire barrage commands. Or you are flying one yourself. Other than that they make for some good bails and really expensive UT's ( that is if you are crazy enough to use them for that). :P
Those Damn alien bastards are gonna pay for blowing up my ride!
--Duke Nukem 3D

Twest09
x3tc

Post by Twest09 » Sun, 1. Aug 10, 01:29

Actually I disagree strongly that M8s are useless, in fact if you have good micro management skills you can sit back and order them to pick off any target while you are in sector. But that is the extent of the usefulness, you have to use them while in sector. Also don't make them into a wing you have to use them individually and issue orders like that... which means you have to be an interface ninja... alternatively you can order one to attack and then quickly use the broadcast command to order the rest to do the same.

I took out Argon One and Argon Prime with 6 M8s and my Tiger.

Baddieus
x4

Post by Baddieus » Sun, 1. Aug 10, 04:00

you have to use them while in sector.
Not necessarily .... I have remote ordered an M8 to jump to a gate that was close, but not too close to a Q, then gave the birrage-x2 command from OOS, which successfully destroyed the Q. I never entered the sector during this process ... and the Borons never thanked me :) .

Hyppe
x3tc

Post by Hyppe » Sun, 1. Aug 10, 15:11

Thanks for the replies :)

I'll guess I'll get few and test how they work, they might be nice and cheap backup solution when everything else fails... :P

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”