Xenon M6 Is patroling my sector

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

kotorone1
x3tc

Xenon M6 Is patroling my sector

Post by kotorone1 » Tue, 10. Aug 10, 21:54

Is there any way i can keep xenon m7s from leaving X347 and heading towards Omicron Lyrae? Ive lost many ships to the Xenon Q. Any help would be appreciated
Last edited by kotorone1 on Wed, 11. Aug 10, 04:39, edited 1 time in total.

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Tue, 10. Aug 10, 22:13

Assuming you mean M7 and not M6*; If you have the money for an M2 or two, yes. Otherwise, you'll just have to set up some satellites and keep checking.

*The Q is an M7, the P is the Xenon M6.
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

Palladin888
x3tc

Post by Palladin888 » Wed, 11. Aug 10, 03:14

I had that problem in Black Hole Sun. The Q has a week spot ...it has no top mounted guns if you can get just above and in front of the tail fins you can take one down pretty easy. It can be done easiest with a M3.
X3TC Vanilla with bonus pack
Start: Terran Defender
Terran plot complete
Goner plot complete
New Home plot at 50,000,000 credits step
Operation Final Furry on last step.

Aro
x4

Post by Aro » Wed, 11. Aug 10, 04:20

Down side of the Q is an uncanny ability to kill even big ships while OOS.

So far I've found an Osaka can work (Tyr would be better).
Also a large swarm of M3 or M4's will work but the attrition rate can get annoying.
I'm thinking of trying a group of M8's at 100% fire rate the next game...
[ external image ]
The end of a trilogy does not mean an end to a series.
| Vanilla with strawberries? [List of Vanilla safe mods.] | Tired of the plots? [Plot Skipper Tool v0.5] |
| X3: R & TC Minimaps |

kotorone1
x3tc

Post by kotorone1 » Wed, 11. Aug 10, 04:41

Sorry but i have to ask a newbish question. what is OOS? And thanks for the tips!

Catra

Post by Catra » Wed, 11. Aug 10, 04:45

kotorone1 wrote:Sorry but i have to ask a newbish question. what is OOS? And thanks for the tips!
Out Of Sector (basically, every place your ship isnt :P ).

kotorone1
x3tc

Post by kotorone1 » Wed, 11. Aug 10, 04:51

and what ship would be best for killing xenon q's ive got 30m and can get about 10m more.

Catra

Post by Catra » Wed, 11. Aug 10, 05:09

kotorone1 wrote:and what ship would be best for killing xenon q's ive got 30m and can get about 10m more.
for the buyables:

an Osaka to be sure.
or
a boreas / phoenix if you wanna try your luck.

for unbuyables:

the ATF tyr.

40m isnt gonna get you any of those ships. ;)

for an IS(In Sector) fight, really any m6 or m3(or heavily shielded m4) would be enough to take it down handily, theyre not that tough.

kotorone1
x3tc

Post by kotorone1 » Wed, 11. Aug 10, 06:10

that sets my getting a panther back a few days but, saftey first

Aro
x4

Post by Aro » Wed, 11. Aug 10, 08:00

Could sit an M5 in range of the gate and set it to detect enemies. Don't recall off hand what software will give them the ability, perhaps Explorer or a combination of that and Fight software.

When the M5 finds an enemy jump yourself within Mr. Panther for some killy time :)
(The M5 will inform you of small fry so perhaps a few basic M3 ships to deal with them will be useful.)

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Wed, 11. Aug 10, 13:55

Why should it set back your getting a panther... considering you could buy one and that'd be strong enough to kill it IS. :P
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

texyuk
x3tc

Post by texyuk » Wed, 11. Aug 10, 13:56

..its not all bad news though - let it play havoc with freighters and then you collect all the goodies (keeping a good distance from him of course)!

Texy

Eisenkalle
x3tc

Post by Eisenkalle » Wed, 11. Aug 10, 14:41

Whatever ship you might use, use missiles. Lots of missiles. Missiles are easy to purchase or produce and are a lot "safer" for your health (distance). For Xenon Qs I prefer Hornets and/or Thunderbolts, with some Wasp company. Btw I use a M6 Hyperion to travel across the universe.

OOS I wouldn't bother with patrols or any sector defence forces against Xenon. Qs have the magnificent skill of instant killing any ship you use for patrols. From reports of others, I read that even Boreas or other M2 can't stand a chance against this instant killing. Nobody can explain it correctly, but there are many theories about the circumstances (who fires first, etc.).

I wouldn't waste my money for Xenonpatrolships. Anti-Pirate patrols are something else, I have some running. They patrol some of my bigger complexes (1xM7+2xM6). Just build stations where it is safe and also trade where it is safe. My whole tradingempire concentrates in the western universe and the southeastern parts around Cardinal's Domain/Queens Harbour. The jumprange for ships just stops one sector before a Xenonsecotor. For example I have a small Rastar-/Nostropproduction in Patriarch's Keep. Maximum jumprange is 3 sectors (includes PTNI). Green Scale Plate is not safe enough to deal with for my freighters, although my sector traders stop in PTNI.
I am a Mistral Tycoon!

Poisoned Paranid Start (X3TC): Take a joyride in a Hyperion Vanguard (250.3m/s)! VANILLA Updated 2012-04-02 (new mediafire link)

kotorone1
x3tc

Post by kotorone1 » Wed, 11. Aug 10, 18:11

ive killed a couple of Qs w/ my Gladiator, but died many times so ill give that one a couple of tries. and how do you get a Hyperion? ive looked everwhere for it and still cant find one.

I just got the idea of putting and mining base in front of the jumpgate so the q jumps into it. Anyone know if that works?

Eisenkalle
x3tc

Post by Eisenkalle » Wed, 11. Aug 10, 18:35

kotorone1 wrote:ive killed a couple of Qs w/ my Gladiator, but died many times so ill give that one a couple of tries. and how do you get a Hyperion? ive looked everwhere for it and still cant find one.

I just got the idea of putting and mining base in front of the jumpgate so the q jumps into it. Anyone know if that works?
Yeah a M8 with some missiles (and you sit in it) is quite the one-man-slaughter-house-in-a-tin. ;-)

If you want to block the gate, it "might" work, but with at least two restrictions (apart from the second condition, it is useless).

1. you must do it personally! Positionig the mine is quite tricky, if you want to position it directly in front of the gate.
2. you must be in sector! If you are out of sector, there isn't any collision detection. This means there will be no damage inflicted by ramming into the obstacle (your mining base), unless you are personally in the sector. So simply use a M8 or another ship with a good hold of missiles.

For the Hyperion, check the northern and southern paranid sectors (around Paranid Prime and Friar's Retreat). You can not buy it, you can only board it with marines. So you need at least a M6 and do a boarding operation. This means a little planning beforehand. I used a Centaur with 5 Marines (fully trained with 4 Stars in combat). A Hyperion has usually 1 GJ of shielding, so I used 5 Hornet missiles for stripping the shields. Than I used Pulsed Beam Emitters to keep the shields down and deliverd my marines safely.
I am a Mistral Tycoon!

Poisoned Paranid Start (X3TC): Take a joyride in a Hyperion Vanguard (250.3m/s)! VANILLA Updated 2012-04-02 (new mediafire link)

kotorone1
x3tc

Post by kotorone1 » Wed, 11. Aug 10, 19:22

Ive never actually boarded a ship, so ill go check out the guides. i have tried to put the mining base in front of the gate and, well it hit the gate and blew up...

Nyax
x3tc

Post by Nyax » Wed, 11. Aug 10, 19:30

Eisenkalle wrote: OOS I wouldn't bother with patrols or any sector defence forces against Xenon. Qs have the magnificent skill of instant killing any ship you use for patrols. From reports of others, I read that even Boreas or other M2 can't stand a chance against this instant killing. Nobody can explain it correctly, but there are many theories about the circumstances (who fires first, etc.).
As i understand it, it works something like this-

If the combat is ongoing in a OOS sector AND it's a sector you're not currently monitoring on the sector map, then the game only calculates things every 20-30 seconds or so. When it does that it calculates all the firepower the two ships fighting could have delivered in that time and then applies it to the target ship. If the firepower each has delivered is enough to destroy each other then the ship tagged as firing first wins and the other is destroyed.

Now the Q in 30 seconds can deliver enough firepower to destroy almost any ship, which is why it has an uncanny ability to take out destroyers if you're not keeping an eye on them. The main exception to this i'm aware of is the Osaka. in a straight one on one fight, It's 12GJs of shielding can take anything the Q can throw at it in the calculation cycle, so it's guaranteed to survive.
The same is not true for the Q, which will bite the dust.

That's why i use Osakas for my out of sector security.
mrbadger wrote:Anyway, it's Star Wars, this is important....

Eisenkalle
x3tc

Post by Eisenkalle » Wed, 11. Aug 10, 21:48

Nyax wrote:
Eisenkalle wrote: OOS I wouldn't bother with patrols or any sector defence forces against Xenon. Qs have the magnificent skill of instant killing any ship you use for patrols. From reports of others, I read that even Boreas or other M2 can't stand a chance against this instant killing. Nobody can explain it correctly, but there are many theories about the circumstances (who fires first, etc.).
As i understand it, it works something like this-

If the combat is ongoing in a OOS sector AND it's a sector you're not currently monitoring on the sector map, then the game only calculates things every 20-30 seconds or so. When it does that it calculates all the firepower the two ships fighting could have delivered in that time and then applies it to the target ship. If the firepower each has delivered is enough to destroy each other then the ship tagged as firing first wins and the other is destroyed.

Now the Q in 30 seconds can deliver enough firepower to destroy almost any ship, which is why it has an uncanny ability to take out destroyers if you're not keeping an eye on them. The main exception to this i'm aware of is the Osaka. in a straight one on one fight, It's 12GJs of shielding can take anything the Q can throw at it in the calculation cycle, so it's guaranteed to survive.
The same is not true for the Q, which will bite the dust.

That's why i use Osakas for my out of sector security.
A single Xenon K walked through Thyn's Abyss and killed my fully equipped Tyr in a hail of PPC potatoes I assume! Fully equipped with your mentioned 12 GJ of shielding plus a lot of PSP, M/AM-L and SSG (I had only 300 EC on board!). The Tyr was set to attack this specific Xenon K. I (respectivly my Tyr) spotted the Xenon K first AND I was monitoring the sector. Tyr lost... good thing I save before doing these OOS task force operations. Otherwise I would have eaten my table, spitting toothpick. I did the same thing IS, no problem at all Xenon K really never had a chance (at least IS).

That is why I know about your explanation, but it is rather one part of a big picture, nobody really understands (or can not explain). No offense and it might worked out so far with your Osaka. But there will be one random hour in your game, when you wonder where the hell your Osaka is gone. ;-) Checking your logs discovering 3 Ingame-hours ago, a Q has eaten your Osaka... it is just a matter of time. ;-)
I am a Mistral Tycoon!

Catra

Post by Catra » Wed, 11. Aug 10, 22:00

a xenon K can put out quite abit more than the Q can, also the rules change slightly when you watch the sector. ;)

its also been pretty confirmed / accepted that a Q's maximum potential is ~10GJ of damage in a 30 sec turn, so therefore it will never kill an osaka / tyr unless it has a little support.

Eisenkalle
x3tc

Post by Eisenkalle » Wed, 11. Aug 10, 22:05

Catra wrote:a xenon K can put out quite abit more than the Q can, also the rules change slightly when you watch the sector. ;)

its also been pretty confirmed / accepted that a Q's maximum potential is ~10GJ of damage in a 30 sec turn, so therefore it will never kill an osaka / tyr unless it has a little support.
I always thought it doesn't matter which ship M7/M2/M1 it, was that wrecked havoc, slaughtering my capitals. I will keep this in mind, when I have access to terran SY! ;-) THX.
I am a Mistral Tycoon!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”