Asteroid billiards.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

sw-880

Asteroid billiards.

Post by sw-880 » Sun, 22. Aug 10, 22:48

I'm going back a few years but in an earlier incarnation of the X universe someone hit upon the idea of nudging asteroids with your TL (a TL being the biggest ship you could own at the time) and causing them to collide with a station without any security hit.

Asteroids seem to be made of sterner stuff these days and don't budge like they use to. We do however have the tractor beam. If I were to tug a rock too close to a station that I didn't want to be there would I get a sec hit?

berth
x4

Post by berth » Sun, 22. Aug 10, 22:53

Well you can only tow asteroids once you have stuck a mine on them so I'd say you would lose rep because one of your assets has destroyed another race's asset.

Haven't tried it myself but I daresay somebody here has :)

Starlight_Corporation
x4

Post by Starlight_Corporation » Sun, 22. Aug 10, 22:55

As you can't tow rocks, that's a no. Tractorbeams can only tow stations you own & ships.

You can still destroy stations & ships without a rephit by launching a ton of missiles, then eject said ship & jump said ship out before the missiles strike the target.

eldyranx3
xr

Post by eldyranx3 » Sun, 22. Aug 10, 23:40

Lar Limpet once ran down a Boron Trade Station with an Ore Mine. It barely scratched the Trade Docks Shields, but destroyed the Mine.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Mon, 23. Aug 10, 00:21

eldyranx3 wrote:Lar Limpet once ran down a Boron Trade Station with an Ore Mine. It barely scratched the Trade Docks Shields, but destroyed the Mine.
I get the same happen when done by mistake.

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Towing

Post by Bill Huntington » Mon, 23. Aug 10, 06:10

sw-880, I did it by accident while towing a mine. It was a scrape and graze and destroyed the other station, and damaged mine. Since it was my station, there was a rep hit, but it was small. Death by collision counts only about a third of a normal death, I believe.

So the Tomahawk trick is definitely better, with no rep loss and also faster.

I like TC because pilots are always thinking. It might not be "new", but it is new to them. And sometimes there is a report of something new. Then those that follow this Forum have something else to try.
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Mon, 23. Aug 10, 13:51

I seem to recall there being a mention of the advanced tractor beam in Scripts and Modding being able to do something like this.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 23. Aug 10, 20:00

If you're using a modded game you might as well use LV's cheats and just destroy the station you want to get rid of anyway!

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Asteroid billiards.

Post by Nanook » Mon, 23. Aug 10, 20:03

sw-880 wrote:I'm going back a few years but in an earlier incarnation of the X universe someone hit upon the idea of nudging asteroids with your TL (a TL being the biggest ship you could own at the time) and causing them to collide with a station without any security hit....
That would've been early X-Tension, later patched out, as I recall. Was good fun, though. :D Or maybe it was X2 that removed that ability. :gruebel:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

silentmaster101

Post by silentmaster101 » Mon, 23. Aug 10, 20:40

or you could take a defend mission on that station, then wait until it gets destroyed. you will lose some rep, but if you have a good combat rank, the result of killing the station killers should put you back on track.

but the time it will take to wait until there is a defend mission on that exact station is probably going to be a looooooonnnnnng time.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Mon, 23. Aug 10, 21:44

Yes, we could just script kill, but that's not the fun way to do it.

Hmm... Do stations drift I wonder?

Mortis494
x3tc

Post by Mortis494 » Mon, 23. Aug 10, 22:12

If you really want a station gone with minimum rep hit without cheating, check its sheild & hull strength then (assuming you have the cash) buy a bigger station (with higher shields/hull) and drop it on top of the NCP one. The overlap will cause both stations to take damage and will be destroyed. Note that you must be IS for this to work.
Wanton Nukes and the Path to Galactic Conquest - Pilot of the 'Last Resort'
Who needs Facebook? We've got the X-Universe Forum :)

sw-880

Post by sw-880 » Tue, 24. Aug 10, 00:07

Nanook wrote:That would've been early X-Tension, later patched out, as I recall. Was good fun, though. :D Or maybe it was X2 that removed that ability. :gruebel:

It was indeed X-Tension, flying a Boron Orca I believe (though it has been a long time so i could be wrong). Seems like a lifetime ago that I played the mission that netted me my first TL, that ship helped me take over the universe :)

I've been told that if I take out a station it's just going to re spawn making it pointless to remove anyway.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 24. Aug 10, 00:21

sw-880 wrote:...
I've been told that if I take out a station it's just going to re spawn making it pointless to remove anyway.
That depends entirely on the station. 'Government' stations, such as shipyards, equipment docks and trading stations, do indeed eventually respawn in the same location. Not true of factories, however. There are a few that seem to be rebuilt in the same location, but the vast majority are gone if you destroy them. GoD may rebuild new ones in some other location if it deems they're needed for the economy, but otherwise, they don't respawn.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”