Hunting Spaceflys

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Baddieus
x4

Hunting Spaceflys

Post by Baddieus » Thu, 26. Aug 10, 21:52

Question about hunting spaceflys, which is the better way?

Sit still and wait till they find you?

Get a fast ship and chase after them?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 26. Aug 10, 22:13

There is anecdotal evidence that they appear after space battles (because of all the energy expended there) and that they also can particularly hang around near large asteroid clusters. Or it could just be random (in which case moving about fairly slowly or sitting still while doing random IonD zaps when safe to do so could actually be more effective than zipping about and missing seeing them even if they are nearby).

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 26. Aug 10, 22:38

I'd go with option A since all the spaceflies I've encountered in TC have been the result of sitting still for a bit. I think they'd be pretty hard to spot, given their rarity, from a fast moving ship.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Storm666
x3tc

Post by Storm666 » Thu, 26. Aug 10, 23:20

Option A as Nanook says, but use your SETA, when it stops you've found one!

Aro
x4

Post by Aro » Thu, 26. Aug 10, 23:37

The best method I've found so far is staying still in a sector with asteroids. They normally fly past within a few mins.
Spotting them from a distance is possible though highly unlikely, only done so a few times.

Not sure if a relation exists between the ship used at the time, was normally in a larger ship like an M6.

Ozkar
x3tc

Post by Ozkar » Sat, 28. Aug 10, 03:03

The only times I had found spaceflies in any number is when I am trying to fry the dangerous software off a TM/M6. So I would say sitting still firing the IonDs would be the best way to draw them out.

I don't know if its the slightly faster speeds in TC than R, but it seems random spacefly sightings are less common in TC, and they are harder to spot, perhaps the models is smaller/less luminous?
Give me a mamba or give me death!

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Sat, 28. Aug 10, 03:13

There are some hunting guides around, iirc (try the guides sticky or the [url=http://forum.egosoft.com/search/index.html?template=default&style=default.css][b]Li[/b]nk[b]Li[/b]st[/url]).

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”