[TC] Defending Asteroid Sectors

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

littlel
xr

Defending Asteroid Sectors

Post by littlel » Sat, 28. Aug 10, 12:40

So I have taken over several asteroid sectors and have multiple mini complexes in them. But I keep getting Kha'ak and Pirates appearing in middle of roids.

My main problem is in Ore Belt. I have 3 laser towers at the gates, so i do not think they are getting in that way. And its not M2 or even M3 ships attacking its M5's like 10 -20 at a time... and by the time i scramble my m3 to get to them (from a carrier in sector) they manage to pick off several traders in system....

So how do I defend against them ? :) I tried having 40 M3 patrol the sector but that was worse as they then manage to attack the m3 when they are all spread out and they reach them 1 at a time... and they make short work of them...i lost a wave of 60 m4 patrolling to 20 m5 as my m4 where attacking in drips and drabs as they arrived at them....

This is happening all over my empire.. all in main race controlled sectors... Do Kha'ak and pirates spawn in main race sectors ? :)

Thanks In advance

ll

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Sat, 28. Aug 10, 12:51

Kha'ak clusters can spawn anywhere.

Pirates can spawn at pirate bases, Teladi shipyards and in Pirate sectors.

OOS, 3 lastertowers won't do anything much, and ships actually appear a few km from the gate - so if the LTs are on the gate they'll likely be out of range.

An M6+4xM3 patrol should handle Kha'ak clusters without much problem. Xenon patrols are much harder to counter.

StarTroll
x4

Post by StarTroll » Sat, 28. Aug 10, 13:11

First of all, 3 LTs will do next to nothing against 10 - 20 M5s, maybe kill one or two then go down. Also it may depend on the command you gave to the M3s, and if they are on wings or not.
I recommend a mix of M6+M3s or a few well shielded M6, like some heavy variants. The best would be a M7 as it has the speed, shields and firepower to last.

If you want LTs to work you'll need at leats 50 for a single gate, and even then you'll have to replace them frequently.
SCUM : They may exceed you in number, but not in value.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sat, 28. Aug 10, 13:54

My standard defensive configuration for sectors not expecting anti-capital defense:

Tango Group
2x Heavy Centaur, flight leader HC 1. Arm with HEPT’s/PAC's, sector patrol.

4x Eclipse, arm with HEPT’s, protect HC’s.
2x Nova Raiders, arm with HEPT’s, protect HC’s.
4x Buster Raider’s, arm with PAC’s, protect HC’s.
4x Discoverer Vanguards, arm with Dragonfly Missiles, protect HC’s.

The Eclipse's can crush heavy fighters, the Nova's and Buster's are fast enough to catch and kill most M5's. The Disco's should survive well if set to 100% missile fire.

Dead_Goon
x4

Post by Dead_Goon » Sat, 28. Aug 10, 15:53

where ever i have a plex, i leave a pair of Deimos patrolling the sector, with the holds packed with a choice assortment of missiles. it used to be a pair of fast M6's with fighters, but i still managed to loose ships from time to time. haven't lost a ship for a long while now.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sat, 28. Aug 10, 17:10

You could liberally sprinkle your complex with lasertowers. =)
They have about 6 km laser range so they get good coverage and they don't move off their position in the defense grid.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Sat, 28. Aug 10, 17:15

Gazz wrote:They have about 6 km laser range so they get good coverage and they don't move off their position in the defense grid.
Do they actually engage at 6km when OOS?

I haven't actually checked in TC, but in X3R they certainly didn't seem to (without RoF anyway, which made them extremely lethal OOS).

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sat, 28. Aug 10, 17:16

No idea.
I don't even know if they use a real fight script or some hardcoded hack.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

StarTroll
x4

Post by StarTroll » Sat, 28. Aug 10, 19:22

Firingg range becomes 3 Km for everything OOS IIRC.

efernal
x3tc

Post by efernal » Sun, 29. Aug 10, 06:00

I'm going to suggest a different approach than some others here. I would suggest using the Yaki TM as a local trader. Give it some fighter protection docked inside of it. Might also want to drop an argon trade station in the middle of the sector with a few laser towers homebased to it. Give it at least 2 M6 and all the fighters you want for an insector defense force that only goes out when you command it to do so.

Also set up a few nave and adv. nav sats through out the system (cheap and a great early warning system should they not be one shooted to death thus resulting in betty not telling you).For a 1 sector patrol I would stick with 3-4 groups. 1 M6 with no less than 5 M3 ships M3+ if you can afford it. Also have an M6/M6+ with 2 TM's loaded with M3/M3+ ships homebased to the Complex. That will give you 11 ships on protection duty while only using 3 slots on the plex.

Added bonus of the trade station is that you will have unlimited fighter docking. A great place to send capped fighter to. It can also be used as an in between drop-off/pick up location for freighters. And my new favorite trick placing one in an argon core sector and have a few fast haulers deliver space fuel to it from an unknown sector. Then sell the fuel from the trade station. Bust smugglers, Take fuel back to trade station and repeat. ( you will most likely have enough cash by this point to not want to be doing this).
Those Damn alien bastards are gonna pay for blowing up my ride!
--Duke Nukem 3D

biggie1447
x3ap

Post by biggie1447 » Sun, 29. Aug 10, 07:08

i have found the best oos anti pirate defense to be a m2/m1/m7 sitting right in front of the gate. (not on top but about 2 km or so in from the gate to catch those fast little buggers)

doesnt need to be fully equiped. just give him enough shielding and weapons to withstand several m3s and that should be enough.

littlel
xr

Post by littlel » Tue, 31. Aug 10, 19:54

Bumping this back up because still having a bit of a night mare now of a different kind :) Micromanagement nightmare....

I have about 20 sectors full of stuff all over the uni and probably another 20 with about 10+ facts etc in them... and I have tried different combos of fighter wings and different m6 m7 m8's etc with ample m3 added for measure but i am losing say 20 a hour across empire which spread over a couple of hours means i have to spend ages sending top up fighters ... etc.. :(

So I am back for more advice :) I have seen orbital defense platforms in several sectors... I am assuming these can;t be purchased ?

Anyone got ideas... i really appreciate the mixture of fighter wings and they work well to repulse most attacks but topping them up it taking time!! :)

TiA

ll

travisdh1
x3tc

Post by travisdh1 » Tue, 31. Aug 10, 20:02

littlel wrote:Bumping this back up because still having a bit of a night mare now of a different kind :) Micromanagement nightmare....

I have about 20 sectors full of stuff all over the uni and probably another 20 with about 10+ facts etc in them... and I have tried different combos of fighter wings and different m6 m7 m8's etc with ample m3 added for measure but i am losing say 20 a hour across empire which spread over a couple of hours means i have to spend ages sending top up fighters ... etc.. :(

So I am back for more advice :) I have seen orbital defense platforms in several sectors... I am assuming these can;t be purchased ?

Anyone got ideas... i really appreciate the mixture of fighter wings and they work well to repulse most attacks but topping them up it taking time!! :)

TiA

ll
Well, if small fighters aren't working maybe you need to bring some bigger better shielded ships in, say a Tyr near each gate?

Mateus090985
x3tc

Post by Mateus090985 » Tue, 31. Aug 10, 20:27

Its not exactly in topic but have to do ... and I dont want to open a new topic only for it... How do I set a wing leader? Cant find in game and did not found in FAQ.

biggie1447
x3ap

Post by biggie1447 » Tue, 31. Aug 10, 20:47

IIRC it is in the main command console of the ship you want to be wing leader (arround where the hombase selection is)

Twest09
x3tc

Post by Twest09 » Tue, 31. Aug 10, 22:43

To be honest unless they are coming from an M1/Panther NPC fighters are rubbish and this includes player owned fighters. In large swarms from multiple M1/Panthers they can be considered additional/destroyable weapons turrets capable of longer range and higher dps and that is how you have to look at them.

When I buy fighters with the intent to put them to military use they always are mass bought and armed/upgraded and then set to a carrier. I have OOS Carrier setups and IS Carrier setups (Mass Driver fighter spam :wink: ).

StarTroll
x4

Post by StarTroll » Tue, 31. Aug 10, 23:44

Load an Aran with 30 TLS armed with full PPC or mixed PPC / IC and watch the red dots disappear. Of course you'll lose some (read as many) TLSs but it is something to be worked on, though they are better as a disposable strike force against swarms of destroyers and frigates.

Mateus090985
x3tc

Post by Mateus090985 » Wed, 1. Sep 10, 00:45

biggie1447 wrote:IIRC it is in the main command console of the ship you want to be wing leader (arround where the hombase selection is)
Is the option "Wingman for Player"? I always tought that this option enabled the ship to be your "partner" (english is not my native language). Can I assig one for each wing and give the orders only for then?

Twest09
x3tc

Post by Twest09 » Wed, 1. Sep 10, 00:51

Mateus090985 wrote:
biggie1447 wrote:IIRC it is in the main command console of the ship you want to be wing leader (arround where the hombase selection is)
Is the option "Wingman for Player"? I always tought that this option enabled the ship to be your "partner" (english is not my native language). Can I assig one for each wing and give the orders only for then?
He is talking about the leader for a "wing" what you are talking about is a personal wing lead by your ship (you being the leader, your wingmen being the "personal wing").

Mateus090985
x3tc

Post by Mateus090985 » Wed, 1. Sep 10, 01:06

Twest09 wrote:
Mateus090985 wrote:
He is talking about the leader for a "wing" what you are talking about is a personal wing lead by your ship (you being the leader, your wingmen being the "personal wing").
I want a AI leader for a AI wing. Is the same option? My personal ship is in no wing but all the ships that are in wings are in the cargo of my ship. The only option that I found is "eingman for player..." Oh God...

EDIT: When I open the individual menu for the ship that I want to be the leader there is a "wingman" option. Is this one right? Is it horrible as we look so many times for something and it is in your face =)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”