[TC] In-Sector Boreas w/- Gauss?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Darkwolf_187
x4

In-Sector Boreas w/- Gauss?

Post by Darkwolf_187 » Thu, 2. Sep 10, 02:31

I got myself a Boreas last night, and I've been doing a lot of thinking about how to fit it. After doing some digging here, I notice a lot of people seem to go PPC in front/left/right, and Flak everywhere else.

Any particular reason why people don't go Gauss anywhere? Note, I'm not afraid of ammo-using guns, since I'm quite used to running around with a full rack of PMAML's on my Springblossom, so is there a specific reason why people pick PPC's instead?

What I was thinking of doing was packing the following;
Front: 8 x Gauss Cannon
Left: 8 x Photon Pulse Cannon
Right: 8 x Photon Pulse Cannon
Back: 8 x Flak Artillery Array
Up: 4 x Flak Artillery Array
Down: 4 x Flak Artillery Array

Spares:

8 x IBL (for up/down turret vs. capitals)
8 x PPC (for back turret vs. capitals)
Does this sort of fit seem... sane... for in-sector combat? I've seen some people suggest PPC front, CIG sides, FAA back and up/down. Is that typically for weapon recharge purposes, or is there a specific advantage to the CIG I'm missing that makes it more useful than the PPC's?

cswiger
x3tc

Post by cswiger » Thu, 2. Sep 10, 02:45

I can't think of anything a CIG would do for the Boreas that either a FAA or PPC wouldn't do better. :-)

Anyway, it is useful to swap in 4x or maybe even 8x Gauss towards the end of a heavy firefight, but you probably want to start out with 8xPPC (or 4xPPC / 4x IonC) everywhere that will take them, and switch to Gauss if you ever run out of juice.
Do you remember Shalebridge Cradle?
Beware! The Cradle *doesn't* forget....

Catra

Post by Catra » Thu, 2. Sep 10, 02:52

afraid of ammo-using guns
this, and i dont think people realize that the GC is better than the PPC due to double firerate. when i have 2 shots in the air by the time you have 1, that -4k DamagePerSecond difference between the PPC and GC suddenly looks insignificant.

as for the weapon fit:

try out Ion Cannon in the front, GC on the sides. absolutely tears through everything.
Last edited by Catra on Thu, 2. Sep 10, 19:57, edited 1 time in total.

burger2

Post by burger2 » Thu, 2. Sep 10, 04:44

I think one reason ppc over gc would be the extra range ppc = 6.623 vs gc = 4.786 . Gauss cannons work really well when you get in range.

Twest09
x3tc

Post by Twest09 » Thu, 2. Sep 10, 05:29

I always fit with PPC when I am going to use it for OOS area control only.

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Thu, 2. Sep 10, 08:30

80 crates of ammo will last 8 guns long enough. If you are feeling paranoid have a disposable Chokaro on standby that can resupply you in midfight with another 60-80 crates. Shouldn't need it, but it is always wise to plan for the worst.

BTW, 8x Gauss Cannons on a side turret(s) and 8x Ion Cannons on the front turret is a wicked mean combo. One gun crushes sheilds and the other crushes hull.
[X3] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots
[X3T] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots in Terran Conflict

The mercenary code
There is no right or wrong.
There is no good or evil.
There is only the will of the client, and how much they're paying.

littlel
xr

Post by littlel » Thu, 2. Sep 10, 10:59

I like the PPC for scalability....

Say you have 10 Boreas over 3 or 4 sectors... having to ship to them all the time is a pita... I find that so anyways :)

I get annoyed having to ship energy around so shipping ammo would add to my pain :)

Catra

Post by Catra » Thu, 2. Sep 10, 11:30

get an EQdock.
set supply ships.
set ammo setting on the boreas.
dock said boreas.
boreas auto takes any ammo there.
undock and continue.

also:

a boreas fully kitted for anti capital(IE: 16 IBL + 8 IC + 16 GC + shields) has room for 142 boxes of ammo, which is 28,400 rounds, that takes 20 minutes(88 rounds/min * 16 / # of rounds) of nonstop in system firing to deplete. and really, if youre finding yourself in combat for that long, you got bigger stuff to worry about. :P

OOS itll last for 1775 minutes (as itll be one shotting everything, so # of guns / # of rounds, or does it reduce 5 / 30 seconds worth of ammo?, either way itll probably last longer than in system).

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 2. Sep 10, 12:10

Catra wrote: this, and i dont think people realize that the GC is better than the PPC due to double firerate. when i have 2 shots in the air by the time you have 1, that -4k DPS difference between the PPC and GC suddenly looks insignificant.
When each of those shots do half the damage I'm not sure it makes any difference, and don't forget you can charge PPC shots if you're in the turret, which you can't do with Gauss!

To OP: I suppose people don't use Gauss Cannons much in a Boreas simply because the thing's enormous weapons power generator makes it easily capable of using PPCs instead, which are easier to get hold of and do slightly more damage.

DaveyP
x3tc

Post by DaveyP » Thu, 2. Sep 10, 12:18

Unless a cap ship spans right on top of you, a full PPC loadout will kill anything before it gets into GC range especially, as pjknibbs says, if you charge shots.
Dying stupidly since 2004

Catra

Post by Catra » Thu, 2. Sep 10, 12:30

pjknibbs wrote:
Catra wrote: this, and i dont think people realize that the GC is better than the PPC due to double firerate. when i have 2 shots in the air by the time you have 1, that -4k DPS difference between the PPC and GC suddenly looks insignificant.
When each of those shots do half the damage I'm not sure it makes any difference, and don't forget you can charge PPC shots if you're in the turret, which you can't do with Gauss!
what shots? and half damage of what?

youre going to get wrecked if youre in a turret for more than 1 volley.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Thu, 2. Sep 10, 13:05

CLS 2 makes it easy. A GC ammo factory, and a couple of CLS2 freighters delivering to those Boreas means you don't have to pay any attention.

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Thu, 2. Sep 10, 13:06

If I'm flying it myself, PPCs upfront rock. Due to the fact you can start firing at an oncoming M2 at roughly 10km and still get hits...
So PPCs up front, GCs down the side. If anything gets through your PPCs, it shouldn't have much shields left and the GCs will shred it.
Also with the Boreas you can mount full energy weps and not really run out of power even with all going at once.
Also dont use CIGs on an M2. It has rubbish range and power compared to its energy use, when compared to bigger weapons.

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Thu, 2. Sep 10, 13:07

You can start chucking charged shots downrange at ~8km while you're moveing at -10m/s. Can even wait till the last second to go back into the cockpit to start the WASD dance. Plenty of time to drop a chargeing K, or two, with charged PPC/PSP shots.
[X3] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots
[X3T] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots in Terran Conflict

The mercenary code
There is no right or wrong.
There is no good or evil.
There is only the will of the client, and how much they're paying.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 2. Sep 10, 13:48

Catra wrote: what shots? and half damage of what?

You seemed to be implying that GC's faster firerate over PPC was an advantage, and I'm not convinced it is. And you don't need to be in the turret for more than one volley--you fire one charged shot and then let the turret autofire; gives you an initial burst of extra damage.

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Thu, 2. Sep 10, 13:56

If you have the range, start firing early, go backwards at -10 you can get in a lot more than 1 over charged shot...

Catra

Post by Catra » Thu, 2. Sep 10, 14:00

pjknibbs wrote:
Catra wrote: what shots? and half damage of what?

You seemed to be implying that GC's faster firerate over PPC was an advantage, and I'm not convinced it is. And you don't need to be in the turret for more than one volley--you fire one charged shot and then let the turret autofire; gives you an initial burst of extra damage.
still aint makin sense....

@ ppl sayin you can fire at longer range:

alright fine. i concede, only if because im tired and dont really wanna get into it right now. :P

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Thu, 2. Sep 10, 14:13

Boooooo, more arguements please xD

Apart from range, I agree there are better weapons than PPCs. Those times you pop through a gate then get jumped on by 2ks, 2js and a million Qs for example.

StarTroll
x4

Post by StarTroll » Thu, 2. Sep 10, 14:28

BTW which weapon has the quicker alignement time ? PPC, GC or is it the same for every weapon category (light, medium and heavy weaons) ?
SCUM : They may exceed you in number, but not in value.

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Thu, 2. Sep 10, 14:35

Personally I have noticed no difference in turning between PPCs, GCs or Ion Cannons.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”