[TC] Tractor Beaming a Silcon Mine

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Soljah
x3tc

Tractor Beaming a Silcon Mine

Post by Soljah » Sat, 11. Sep 10, 09:14

Hey guys

Ive searched all over, im using a Vidar to tow stations, ive successfuly towed stations for ages, my first time towing a Mine though, its in Tears of Gear, Field of 70 so its a Large roid also im not using any cheats so its plain Vanilla

Iive heard you can tow mines in forum posts, as im after moving this kind of roid abit closer to my new complex that im setting up as the roids currently 60+km away, neway when i click the tractor beam(Once) it latches onto the Silicon Mine(Green) and then suddenly rapidly looses its shields and hull and its destroyed, thats even before im moving( im at 0 m/s) ive heard u can move mines so am i doin something wrong or can you not move one of this size?

Thanks for the help

Catra

Post by Catra » Sat, 11. Sep 10, 09:17

something is probably occupying the same space as the mine, thus causing it to explode due to extreme collision damage.

unless you got a save before you placed the mine, its unlikely you can move it.

Taniniver

Post by Taniniver » Sat, 11. Sep 10, 09:45

You can certainly tow mines, including large ones - I know I have moved at least a yield 72 one, and I have towed some well over 100km.

Unlike in X3 where it was very difficult due to the mines starting to spin around and often disconnecting the tractor beam (or hitting your ship and killing you!) it works well in X3TC.

How I do it is - first place my ship where I want the mine to be after towing. Then fly straight at the mine, zoom in using video enhancement goggles to get the centre. Fly until I am very close - usually 3km away, which puts you near the actual surface, given the size of the things. Turn 180 degrees, attach a tractor beam from the rear turret. Fly to the destination, the max speed of 80 is fine for getting there if it's a long distance. Slow down when I get near where I want it to be, using the sector map to check it's position. Eventually when about 0.5 km from where it will sit, slow right down to about 4m/s, so I can get the position perfect. Come to a dead stop then disconnect the tractor beam once it's in the right place.

As for what you are doing wrong, that's harder to say. Catra probably has it right, something must be hitting the mine, but I would have thought anything already in contact with it would hit it and either be destroyed or destroy it even without attaching a tractor beam. Are it's shields at 100% and not going down before you tractor it? It might also be worth flying around it and actually looking for stuff that could be touching it. If you find anything, destroy it.

It is possible to tow mines through small asteroid debris, they hit it and get destroyed, but move slowly and keep a close eye on the shields. Once they get down to 50% or so, stop and let it regenerate fully before moving again. If you have an actual full size asteroid in the way along where you want to tow it, go around instead. It is possible to change direction when towing, but do so in small amounts at a time to give the mine chance to change direction too after your ship does.

Dareliisko

Post by Dareliisko » Sat, 11. Sep 10, 12:42

if you have a save before the creation of the mine you may want to load it, and inspect the area before-hand and Taniniver it doesnt get damaged until you mess with it, ive build a mine (which expands the volume of the mine) which partially encompassed a station i had near it, both are fine, tractor beam and the mine blows up

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Sat, 11. Sep 10, 13:20

Towing mines when there are a lot of large 'roids in the way can be
a bit tiresome, because if they touch your mine it can explode.

You can tow it safely through fragments if you go slowly, but not through
actual 'roids.

If you really can't go round without hitting something, you could always
use a mining laser or a hornet missile to blow the offending 'roids out
of the way and then drive slowly through the debris.

Alternatively it's possible to build a large complex out of smaller
complexes without actually moving the mines if you are very careful
where you places the complex construction kits.

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Sat, 11. Sep 10, 14:06

There are some nice silicon 'roids in Tears of Greed that are directly on top of each other; if you build a mine on one and try to move it, it will go boom (even if the movement is just rotation, which you'll get uless you line up the TB perfectly). The way around this is to build a mine on one rock and blow up the other. You can then tow the mine very slowly out of the debris field; it will still take damage from colliding with the smaller rocks but with a bit of care it should be okay.
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sat, 11. Sep 10, 19:46

Open the map. Slowly flick through the asteroids. One of them might well be under your mine.

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Station debris

Post by Bill Huntington » Sat, 11. Sep 10, 21:24

Soljah, Catra and Rapier have good info for you. But there is a little more to it. There are variable position asteroids in Tears. They can be in different positions, including on top of each other. If it is on top of the other, putting a mine and blowing it will free one mine for you. But you probably have to wait for a game day. 'Station debris' remains after you blow a station. It fades after a game day or so. It can be a navigation hazard, and it can cause collision damage. Since it is probably inside the remaining asteroid, you can expect that. So you might get the remaining asteroid out with shield damage, and you might not, if you move it right away.

Good Luck with your project!
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”