outfit M6

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

thebigJ_A
x3tc

outfit M6

Post by thebigJ_A » Mon, 13. Sep 10, 06:42

Hey all. I've saved up 30+mil and I'm looking to buy my first M6, preferrably a Skiron. (Well, technically it's not my 1st. I have a Vidar, but my race rep w/ the Terrans is so low, even after finishing the plot, that I can't even arm the turrets. I wonder why it's so low?)

Up to now, I've only worked with fighters and transports. Any tips on how to properly outfit a Skiron? (Or any other M6 if you think another is better, I'm open to suggestions.)

Thanks.

canshow
x4

Post by canshow » Mon, 13. Sep 10, 07:03

My last M6 was equipped with PRGs on the turret slots, and CIGs on the front weapons.

Everyone is different tho, but i found that that set up worked pretty well for me.

However, I'd recommend you save for an M7 (They are much better than an M6) and the equipment costs are a little under 4mil

Just do some more missions and if you have UTs trained up already, then it will make it faster for you to get that 54mil.

Your choice though.
[ external image ]
Stargate Junkie

Twest09
x3tc

Post by Twest09 » Mon, 13. Sep 10, 07:12

canshow wrote: However, I'd recommend you save for an M7 (They are much better than an M6) and the equipment costs are a little under 4mil.
Uhhh, hate to tell you but the only M7s that can be considered better than an M6 have a need to be mounted with IBLs and Flak and you can most certainly NOT arm them for under 4 mil if you want it to actually BE better than a Springblossom or a Hyperion with max armament which is considerably less than buying and outfitting an M7.

Even a PPC mounted Thresher is going to be EXPENSIVE.... close to 10 million in armaments.

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Mon, 13. Sep 10, 07:21

TBH, with 30M already on hand you might as well add abit more to that and grab a Teladi Shrike. Already have the cash to buy the bare hull, so you just need abit more to purchase guns, sheilds, missiles and ammo.
[X3] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots
[X3T] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots in Terran Conflict

The mercenary code
There is no right or wrong.
There is no good or evil.
There is only the will of the client, and how much they're paying.

Drewgamer
x4

Post by Drewgamer » Mon, 13. Sep 10, 07:23

I've had great success mounting a full rack of HEPTs in the front guns and having PRG's in the turret slots.

Killing heavily shielded M6's is a little slow, but it rips through anything smaller (and less shielded M6's).

As for missiles, I'm not a huge fan of them, but I keep a good amount of Mosquito Missiles for the Mosquito Defense script

Darkwolf_187
x4

Post by Darkwolf_187 » Mon, 13. Sep 10, 08:01

He probably means an M7M. I find it quite believable you could equip one of those for 4 million.

However, an M7M hemorrhages money if you're using it as a main ship, plus it is limited in where it docks so you'll need tenders.

In terms of M6 to pick, I'd strongly recommend a Springblossom. But you'll need to work on your Terran rep first (do transport missions for them in a TP).

Barring that, a Heavy Centaur is pretty decent. CIGs up front, PRG's elsewhere.

thebigJ_A
x3tc

Post by thebigJ_A » Mon, 13. Sep 10, 08:04

I'm sick of flying my fighters (even though I have some very good ones) And really just want something more powerful, but still fast as a personal ship. So long as it's over, say 120, that's fast enough. Teladi ships are too slow for my tastes.

I'd love to use missiles more, but they're so rarely in stock, even with all my UTs tooling about. So, I end up just using what I pick up after a fight, which isn't much.

I was thinking I'd put some HEPTs on it, but I'd also like something with more punch. Which means, if I get the Skiron, either CIG or IPG. But, not having used either, I have no idea which. Or how many.

thebigJ_A
x3tc

Post by thebigJ_A » Mon, 13. Sep 10, 08:09

@Darkwolf

If I felt like working on my Terran rep, I'd deck out my Vidar. But Terran space is awful! The sectors are huge and jumpdrives don't work, so getting around is mind-numbing. The stations are huuuge, and autopilot seems to have a phobia of them, always taking the long way around. I have a few sector traders there, I was hoping to passively get my rep up like that while I do other stuff, but I swear the Terrans just don't like me or something!

HawK53
x3tc

Post by HawK53 » Mon, 13. Sep 10, 08:20

Plenty of taxi missions in terran space
take a fast TP with a docking computer (for fast docking).
You will soon be able to get the weapons (suggest 6 M-AM + 10 empc).
Then you have the best M6 which is more fun then any stupid M7 :twisted:

dalin80
x3tc

Post by dalin80 » Mon, 13. Sep 10, 08:28

Grab a kestrel from the PTNI shipyard and equip it with a cargo life support system, then head up to asteroid belt and do a few taxi missions.

You may have to save before each mission to ensure you dont lose rep if the person to taxi is fussy about mode of transport, but asides from that you can go from not being able to buy a m3 to being offered shiny m2's in the shipyard within a handful of missions.
Pilot of the Purple Elephant

garv222

Post by garv222 » Mon, 13. Sep 10, 08:51

M7 are a pain to use as a main ship, but they are definitely more awe-inspiring to use as a combat ship. While both m6 and m7 can equip CIG, ISR, IPGs, M6 cannot use these weapons very effectively past a single decently shielded target.

I suggest getting a skiron or take a look at the nemesis/dragon variants from paranid/split. All carry decent/good speed, but the skiron is probably the best over-all in terms of turret coverage, shielding and speed. I suggest using HEPT for main guns and carrying some typhoon missiles for anti-corvette. PRG work fine for turrets. M6s can be used to fight m7 ships with guns, but it's generally slow going and not recommended.

If you do choose to save up a bit more, the teladi shrike is probably the best bang for your buck for an m7. I'd say equipping any m7 effectively should cost around... 10-15 mil. You'll want at the very least, a full battery of 8 CIG in front on any m7 as well as flak weaponry on the top and sides as well. The shrike can mount 4 gauss cannons in total which is good. You'll also need either freight drones, a falcon hauler or a nearby cargo ship to ferry goods between the m7 and smaller stations.
Duke's Buccaneers... I hate you so much... I am sooo demolishing your HQ when our business is finished....

Bobucles
x3tc

Post by Bobucles » Mon, 13. Sep 10, 13:54

An M7M is even MORE expensive to equip than a standard frigate. The glactic missile market is too small to ever equip more than one "barely used" missile frigate. To reliably use an M7M, you need a missile complex that can easily cost in the 10's of millions of credits. There's no way OP can afford that right now.

If you want an M7M, wait until it pops up on a "return my abandoned ship" mission. As for keeping the ship when the police arrive... that's a spoiler you'll have to figure out. :D

Abandoned missile frigates tend to have half a cargo hold full of missiles ripe for the picking, but it takes some luck and patience to stay supplied that way.

Twest09
x3tc

Post by Twest09 » Mon, 13. Sep 10, 14:11

garv222 wrote: If you do choose to save up a bit more, the teladi shrike is probably the best bang for your buck for an m7. I'd say equipping any m7 effectively should cost around... 10-15 mil. You'll want at the very least, a full battery of 8 CIG in front on any m7 as well as flak weaponry on the top and sides as well. The shrike can mount 4 gauss cannons in total which is good. You'll also need either freight drones, a falcon hauler or a nearby cargo ship to ferry goods between the m7 and smaller stations.
Actually if we are just talking credits then the Agamemnon is the best bang for your buck. It's a war-machine and only costs the training of 10-20 marines.

Twest09
x3tc

Post by Twest09 » Mon, 13. Sep 10, 14:14

Bobucles wrote:
If you want an M7M, wait until it pops up on a "return my abandoned ship" mission. As for keeping the ship when the police arrive... that's a spoiler you'll have to figure out. :D
That's not really a spoiler... just transfer a jumpdrive + ecells to it and jump it into a piratexenon sector that you have mapped and jump back and forth across the map until the police are dead.

biggie1447
x3ap

Post by biggie1447 » Mon, 13. Sep 10, 14:50

i think he was refering to the
Spoiler
Show
Unfocused Jumpdrive

garv222

Post by garv222 » Mon, 13. Sep 10, 19:47

Twest09 wrote:
garv222 wrote: If you do choose to save up a bit more, the teladi shrike is probably the best bang for your buck for an m7. I'd say equipping any m7 effectively should cost around... 10-15 mil. You'll want at the very least, a full battery of 8 CIG in front on any m7 as well as flak weaponry on the top and sides as well. The shrike can mount 4 gauss cannons in total which is good. You'll also need either freight drones, a falcon hauler or a nearby cargo ship to ferry goods between the m7 and smaller stations.
Actually if we are just talking credits then the Agamemnon is the best bang for your buck. It's a war-machine and only costs the training of 10-20 marines.
Are we including the stress factor of frying weapons off, launching marines via space walk and the myriad of possible reloads? I think if we're going to discuss ship options for the OP, we should treat it according to his current situation.

On a personal note I wish people would stop saying 10-20 marines for boarding ops for m7+. I feel like it encourages new people to think they can take a destroyer with 10 basic marines and leads to desperate threads of frustration.
Duke's Buccaneers... I hate you so much... I am sooo demolishing your HQ when our business is finished....

Paladin-Solo

Post by Paladin-Solo » Mon, 13. Sep 10, 20:10

garv222 wrote:
Twest09 wrote:
Are we including the stress factor of frying weapons off, launching marines via space walk and the myriad of possible reloads? I think if we're going to discuss ship options for the OP, we should treat it according to his current situation.

On a personal note I wish people would stop saying 10-20 marines for boarding ops for m7+. I feel like it encourages new people to think they can take a destroyer with 10 basic marines and leads to desperate threads of frustration.
Boarding is not the optimal way to advance in this game IMO, i took 5 marines 2 were 4 star fighters and at least 3 star in everything else, the other 3 were 2 star fighters and at least 3 in everything else, boarded a heavy dragon and i lost all the 2 star fighters, lol. I don't get it, whats the point of marines below 3 star fighting if you can't even do a boarding op to level them cause they will die in the process.

garv222

Post by garv222 » Mon, 13. Sep 10, 20:16

That's m6 boarding ops, which are in a whole new level of difficulty compared to boarding larger ships. It's caused mostly due to the boarding difficulty vs max marines allowed for the boarding op. I would never consider boarding to be an answer to the OP because it would take too long to train his marines and I'd still have to recommend using a m7m to launch said marines. Sure people can use TPs, but I think using a TP is chosen for preference/fun rather than practicality.

Catra

Post by Catra » Mon, 13. Sep 10, 20:56

I would never consider boarding to be an answer to the OP because it would take too long to train his marines
this is not the xenon / terrans were talkin about, you do NOT need extensive training on marines to capture anything commonwealth.
Sure people can use TPs, but I think using a TP is chosen for preference/fun rather than practicality.
or to cheaply acquire that m7m that just wondered into teladi / pirate / hostile(IE: a argon going into paranid territory) space.
jus sayin.
:pirat:

canshow
x4

Post by canshow » Mon, 13. Sep 10, 22:43

Yeah, equipment is not 4mil, its more around 10mil for a full loadout for an M7. M7M you just need shields and missiles for basics.

Catra wrote: this is not the xenon / terrans were talkin about, you do NOT need extensive training on marines to capture anything commonwealth.
Thats true.

All you probably need are just mechanical, engineering, and hacking at 4-5 stars. You only get into a fight if there are internal lasers and/or marines onboard. So a few marines should be able to clear anything, even a capital ship if theres no resistance.

You just have to know where the enemies blindspots are and where your boarding pods (or marines) come from your ship (back, front, top, bottom, etc.)
[ external image ]
Stargate Junkie

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”