SQUASH mines

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

thebigJ_A
x3tc

SQUASH mines

Post by thebigJ_A » Sat, 18. Sep 10, 09:18

Ok, I'm sick of these Qs. I'm laying SQUASH mines by the gate, it only leads to their core anyway.

Exactly how much damage do these puppies do? Do I have to space them out? That is to say, will one going off set off the lot if they are too close together? At what range do they go off? Why isn't any of this info in their description? How many questions can I ask in a single paragraph? Is it even considered a paragraph if it's all questions? :P

Also, when I'm done with them, if there are any still about, can I pick them back up, or do I just shoot 'em?

Aro
x4

Post by Aro » Sat, 18. Sep 10, 09:29

Unless you happen to stay in the sector with the mines they don't really do too much. You can pick up any unused mines, be sure to deactivate them first or you may go boom.

Similar with Laser Towers. Work incredibly well while you watch them then not so hot after leaving the sector.

Best cure for the common Q is a big ship. Or a few of them. A couple of Osaka's parked near a gate set to defend position should be able to decimate anything that comes out while you are busy elsewhere.

Can also go with a swarm of fighters. Used 50 Spitfyre's in one game. They did the job. Had to replace a few every hour.
[ external image ]
The end of a trilogy does not mean an end to a series.
| Vanilla with strawberries? [List of Vanilla safe mods.] | Tired of the plots? [Plot Skipper Tool v0.5] |
| X3: R & TC Minimaps |

thebigJ_A
x3tc

Post by thebigJ_A » Sat, 18. Sep 10, 09:43

Yeah, my money situation isn't good enough for anything like that. And it's hard for me to leave to go earn more, because I get a fresh attack every half hour or so.

So they don't go off OOS?

Aro
x4

Post by Aro » Sun, 19. Sep 10, 01:01

They seem to go off while OOS.
Not sure how a number of them in a small area will work. Don't think a lot of testing has been done :gruebel:

garv222

Post by garv222 » Sun, 19. Sep 10, 02:35

If you're looking for area of denial tactics and don't mind modified tag, there was a mod that changes the behaviour of laser towers OOS to make their performance similar/close(better?) to in-sector combat. I think it was called, "ring of fire".

I remember reading a thread a while back similar to your discussing the effectiveness of squash mines. I believe the damage varies greatly depending on the distance to the explosion, but in general they were NOT worth using except possibly as a kind of bomb to drop behind you when being pursued. I believe the general idea was that the time/money/damage done did not warrant the constant management of replacing mines on a large area or at least that was the last parts that I had read.
Duke's Buccaneers... I hate you so much... I am sooo demolishing your HQ when our business is finished....

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”