Beyond my Boreas

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Entos

Beyond my Boreas

Post by Entos » Thu, 14. Oct 10, 20:56

I've saved up for ages to buy a Boreas and decent loadout to finish final fury plot. Now I've finished the plot I'm kinda wondering what I should do now with this very powerful ship? I've got around 20 UT's working away to fund more/better weapons and a lust for extreme violence, any suggestions?

Also, anyone know the best looking ship in X3? Now I've got the money might as well go for pure looks as the Boreas is a bit of a minger.

Stu Austin
x4

Post by Stu Austin » Thu, 14. Oct 10, 21:03

I would keep it. Place it in Bala Gi's Joy and it will keep the Pirates from attacking your freighters (most of the time) that go to that sector for energy cells.
In my game I have found that Bala Gi Joy is a magnet for Pirate ships to transverse thru.
stu
Transcend Mod Team - AP, TC, Reunion

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Thu, 14. Oct 10, 21:09

Kill all the Xenon cap ships and shipyards outside Core 023. Then fly from Zyarth's Dominion/Grand Exchange to Core 023.
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Beyond my Boreas

Post by Nanook » Thu, 14. Oct 10, 23:29

Entos wrote:...
Also, anyone know the best looking ship in X3?...
Umm, that sounds like a highly subjective opinion you're asking for. Seems to me that's up to the eye of the beholder. You'd be best advised to simply look around and make your own choice. :P
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Fri, 15. Oct 10, 01:19

Smashing Xenon sectors into tiny pieces in a Boreas is my happy place :)

When it comes to M2s I love how the Tyr looks. Looks like a warship, and is a beast too.

you_rebel_scum
x3tc

Post by you_rebel_scum » Fri, 15. Oct 10, 01:22

Infekted wrote:Smashing Xenon sectors into tiny pieces in a Boreas is my happy place :)

When it comes to M2s I love how the Tyr looks. Looks like a warship, and is a beast too.
I agree, i wouldnt personally use the boreas as OOS against xenon though, ud need a ship with 12gj of shields for that.
Die-Hard...Suicidal Squid DiD
I was born free, but now I'm expensive!

breytac
x4

Post by breytac » Fri, 15. Oct 10, 02:12

You could always download the Military Base Response Revamp and turn the universe into a warzone. You can either join in the fun or profit from all the destruction (someone's gotta provide weapons and missiles for all those ships :)). I've never flown the Boreas, but from what I hear, it sounds like it could handle sector invasions.

gandy|UKCS|
x3tc

Post by gandy|UKCS| » Fri, 15. Oct 10, 08:41

its a great ship for mapping the xenon sectors if you are not in a hurry :twisted:
Gaming PC
Mobo - Asus P8Z77-V - CPU - i5 3570K @ 4.2ghz
HSF - Corsair H100 - GFX - GTX-470
Memory - 8gig Corsair Vengence Black DDR3 @ 1600mhz
Monitor - BenQ 2400HD 24"
Case - CM Storm Stryker

crgray

Post by crgray » Fri, 15. Oct 10, 08:50

I've actually parked up my Boreas and been using a Panther instead. I find it's more capable than the Boreas due to it's greater agility. I've had the Boreas take serious damage when a Q jumped in behind me and it's not fast enough to turn it's guns on the Q (big guns on the front, flacks everywhere else), whereas the Panther can take down several capital ships without even getting it's own shield dented.

Twest09
x3tc

Re: Beyond my Boreas

Post by Twest09 » Fri, 15. Oct 10, 09:34

Entos wrote: Also, anyone know the best looking ship in X3?
Some of my favorites;

- Terran/ATF -

* Tyr - It is beast.
* Odin - It looks beast, but bugged.
* Skirnir - It looks pretty cool and is a missile frigate.
* Aegir - It is a very capable player warship.
* All ATF fighters look sweet.

- Paranid -

* Agamemnon - It looks like a modern day stealth bomber.
* Hyperion - It looks like a modern day stealth fighter.

- Goner -
* Aran - It's huge and can dock ANY ship.
* Truelight Seeker - If you look at it head on... it looks like a smiling monkey.... what has been seen can not be unseen.

Deeparth
x4

Post by Deeparth » Fri, 15. Oct 10, 10:44

If there was a female human equivalent of thr Hyperion, she would be the strongest and the most beautiful woman in the universe. ;p

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Fri, 15. Oct 10, 11:58

crgray wrote:I've actually parked up my Boreas and been using a Panther instead. I find it's more capable than the Boreas due to it's greater agility. I've had the Boreas take serious damage when a Q jumped in behind me and it's not fast enough to turn it's guns on the Q (big guns on the front, flacks everywhere else), whereas the Panther can take down several capital ships without even getting it's own shield dented.
You are not doing it right then. A) Side banks should take anything thats mostly behind you with a small bit of turning. They have almost got a full 180 degree field of fire. B) Back, bottom and top banks full of flaks should shred a Q in seconds. c) Worst comes to the worst a hotswap of PPCs into the back solves any problems back there. D) You should take hardly any damage if you strafe/change vector a lot, even if said Q is behind you and close.

XanII
x4

Post by XanII » Fri, 15. Oct 10, 12:40

Why park them away? Do missions, multiple missons in the same sector.

Standard issue tactics for me seems to be that from one gate comes in me in a M4/M3/M6 and then maybe a M8 or M7 or two. From another gate M2 or similar. M2 can take care of themselves. They dont catch up their targets very well but the do work as great doorstops while you as a player do your magic with other hardware.
X3:TC Heavy M6 guide : : : Let's pretend you are an addict, lets pretend that you are a X-games player... but i am repeating myself here.

Sn4kemaster
x4

Post by Sn4kemaster » Fri, 15. Oct 10, 14:33

Infekted wrote:
crgray wrote:I've actually parked up my Boreas and been using a Panther instead. I find it's more capable than the Boreas due to it's greater agility. I've had the Boreas take serious damage when a Q jumped in behind me and it's not fast enough to turn it's guns on the Q (big guns on the front, flacks everywhere else), whereas the Panther can take down several capital ships without even getting it's own shield dented.
You are not doing it right then. A) Side banks should take anything thats mostly behind you with a small bit of turning. They have almost got a full 180 degree field of fire. B) Back, bottom and top banks full of flaks should shred a Q in seconds. c) Worst comes to the worst a hotswap of PPCs into the back solves any problems back there. D) You should take hardly any damage if you strafe/change vector a lot, even if said Q is behind you and close.
Agreed, the Boreas is a cap ship killer 1st and foremost...if it can fit PPC then fit it!

PPC front, Left, Right, Rear. (32 PPC)

Flak, up, down (8 Flak)

When your in a sector flooded (ie over 20+) with fighters then just swap the rear PPC for Flak

With PPC fitted all around, ive seen even a AI Boreas destroy multiple Q's and K's at the same time when surrounded after coming through a gate.

As for the looks, well its not my favorite and it took me a while to appreciate it but, but in some ways it looks like a real battle star-ship would, very stripped out and minimalistic (keep the density down and the inert weight), and all the guns are positioned well away from the hull giving them all a huge firing ark's......i actuality think the front turrets look very menacing as well....although again its all subjective.

this is something the other races M2's actually don't do, some may look prettier but the turrets would not actually work!
Last edited by Sn4kemaster on Fri, 15. Oct 10, 14:36, edited 1 time in total.

Graphil
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x3tc

Post by Graphil » Fri, 15. Oct 10, 14:35

I've got 10 of them parked at the various xenon gates and they are doing a good job of keeping the xenon from getting into the sectors.
Graphil

There are two secrets to life: 1) Don't tell everything you know...

crgray

Post by crgray » Fri, 15. Oct 10, 19:58

Infekted wrote:
Must admit I've not had a play with the loadout on it yet. I disabled an LX in very unfriendly territory so got in the Panther to go and retrieve it and love the Panther so much I've stayed in it, not found anything it can't handle yet (I'm only Battlemaster so far though) and prefer speed to firepower.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”