Flail Bug

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Dem0n_Dude
x3tc

Flail Bug

Post by Dem0n_Dude » Sun, 17. Oct 10, 01:23

Has any1 else experienced a bug where flail missiles fly straight through their target and just spin around it? I've been tryin to cap ships and it's been difficult as the missiles just seem to randomly hit but most self destruct after continuously flying through the target.

Catra

Post by Catra » Sun, 17. Oct 10, 01:42

thats not a bug. :P

breytac
x4

Post by breytac » Sun, 17. Oct 10, 02:06

Flail missiles will do exactly what you're describing while you're using SETA.

Dem0n_Dude
x3tc

Post by Dem0n_Dude » Sun, 17. Oct 10, 23:08

but i'm not in seta, and flails aren't meant to fly through things? correct me if i'm wrong ofc but when u fire a barrage at an m1, and u see every missile bar one or two pass straight through the ship, somits goin wrong :/ :S

bonalste
x4

Post by bonalste » Sun, 17. Oct 10, 23:09

Maybe they've got the windows open on the M1?

Deeparth
x4

Post by Deeparth » Sun, 17. Oct 10, 23:17

bonalste wrote:Maybe they've got the windows open on the M1?
:lol:

Dem0n_Dude
x3tc

Post by Dem0n_Dude » Sun, 17. Oct 10, 23:21

:lol: who knows xD :P

Shootist
x4

Post by Shootist » Sun, 17. Oct 10, 23:45

Dem0n_Dude wrote:but i'm not in seta, and flails aren't meant to fly through things? correct me if i'm wrong ofc but when u fire a barrage at an m1, and u see every missile bar one or two pass straight through the ship, somits goin wrong :/ :S
Flails also act this way late game when the Universe is really busy. Look around, there are probably NPC ships that don't move, as well.

There may be (are) some Mods that will help ameliorate these issues.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 18. Oct 10, 12:43

@ Dem0n_Dude: What you are seeing is possibly the result of using Salvage Insurance while the missiles are already in the air. I have noticed that missiles (all sorts of types actually) generally behave well in a straight combat but if you save while they are in flight and then reload, the missiles flying lose their target lock and have to reacquire, sometimes doing so on several different turrets on the target ship and sometimes going into a no-collision loop that involves flying right through the target ship. Anyway they don't all land together, and some not at all.

Moral of the story, save before launch.

silenced
x4

Post by silenced » Mon, 18. Oct 10, 12:54

I've had a few Tomahawk looping around a station they should destroy instead of shooting photos ... but it happens occasionally when they're on a course where they simply cannot hit the target anymore. The 'autopilot' for missiles doesn't recalculate the course anymore if they're in a loop, at least not for static not moving targets.

If the target is moving then there's a chance, but if it's SLOW then ... well, not really. Lucky punch most likely.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

DGagov
x3fl

Post by DGagov » Mon, 18. Oct 10, 14:42

X3R Flack bug sounds familiar, anyone?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 18. Oct 10, 18:00

DGagov wrote:X3R Flack bug sounds familiar, anyone?
No, not really, considering missiles are not the same as flak and don't behave in the same way.

AgamemnonArgon
x3tc

Post by AgamemnonArgon » Mon, 18. Oct 10, 20:34

I prefer to fire a Tomahawk or four.... they make most things disappear
Argon Patriot and Battlemaster
Peace - Through Superior Firepower

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Tue, 19. Oct 10, 01:07

Actually there is a bug IF you are doing the "return my stolen ship mission."

I have reported this bug before, but somehow it does not get looked at.

Basically the target ship first appear as a commonwealth ship, say, a Paranid M6 ship. If you scan it, it then becomes a Pirate Nemesis. So you bring up the ship menu and change Pirate to hostile (only if you are friendly to pirate, then you have to change pirate to Foe in order to launch flails). If you then launch your flail, the ship will happily launch them. IF YOU HIT F3 to bring up the target ship on screen, (or use salvage insurance), then your missiles won't hit. Subsequent launch of Flail would not go, UNLESS YOU MANUALLY CHANGE Paranid race to Foe.

I believe the game engine got confused whether the target ship is a Pirate or a friendly Paranid ship.

This is FoF bug in the "Return My Stolen Ship" mission. I have reported this bug before, but don't remember where.

I just reproduced this bug in 3.0, mind you.

Dem0n_Dude
x3tc

Post by Dem0n_Dude » Sun, 24. Oct 10, 23:09

i've tried leavin the game a while, or stayin in game and doin somit else, but every time i try flails either fly through capitals or circle fighters( If u think about the structure of an atom, it kind of looks like the flails are the electrons :/). This is really annoying cos my m7m is my main method of flattening enemy fleets or making large amounts of money through capping:/

kotorone1
x3tc

Post by kotorone1 » Mon, 25. Oct 10, 06:16

AgamemnonArgon wrote:I prefer to fire a Tomahawk or four.... they make most things disappear

Only four? I use 100, it make all things go boom. Try using it on HQs, its a wonderful fireworks display :lol:

Rive
x3tc

Post by Rive » Mon, 25. Oct 10, 09:33

How much is your average combat frame rate?

Can you reproduce the problem with Hurricane or Wasp missiles?

DGagov
x3fl

Post by DGagov » Mon, 25. Oct 10, 12:02

The problem happens when saving/loading alot (mostly while boarding). Flails and FAA start missing about 80-90% of the time .

Missiles pass trough the target doing noting, just 1 or 2 hit every second.
FAA still hits, but not nearly as effective as it usually is.
Framerate is fine.

Jumping to another sector doеs not seem to fix the problem, restarting the game does it for me.

I've never used wasps much, so I can't tell if it happens to them too.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 25. Oct 10, 16:26

As I mentioned in a post above, don't save while crucial missiles are in flight. Save before the important salvo launches.

Oh and one other thing. Don't launch many more missiles than you really need. With too many missiles in the air you can reach a stage where each individual missile gets such a small slot of guidance processing in its turn that the whole lot become inefficient.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”