Grilled Yaki.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

[SOLAR]INFERNO
x4

Grilled Yaki.

Post by [SOLAR]INFERNO » Mon, 18. Oct 10, 23:59

I wonder why it came about that a faction was called Yaki I had a look online on a dictionary which found this:
Teppanyaki||teppan'yaki is a style of Japanese cuisine that uses an iron griddle to cook food. The word teppanyaki is derived from teppan , which means iron plate, and yaki , which means grilled, broiled or pan-fried. ..

I know it does have a Japanese theme to it but,I don't think grilled, broiled or panfried describes the Yaki. :lol:

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Re: Grilled Yaki.

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Tue, 19. Oct 10, 00:02

[SOLAR]INFERNO wrote:I know it does have a Japanese theme to it but,I don't think grilled, broiled or panfried describes the Yaki. :lol:
As long as no one hits you with a frying pan, dude. These are lethal weapons in the hand of a true master :doh: :lol:
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

Eternall_00
x3tc

Post by Eternall_00 » Tue, 19. Oct 10, 00:07

Yakisoba is yum :P

BeardyDan
x4

Post by BeardyDan » Tue, 19. Oct 10, 00:08

They do use a lot of PBG though, Flame grilling is close. :P

ephemeron
x4

Re: Grilled Yaki.

Post by ephemeron » Tue, 19. Oct 10, 00:16

There's a cliche about the Mafia using Italian restaurants as front businesses. Do the Yakuza do something similar?

Smacksim
x4

Post by Smacksim » Tue, 19. Oct 10, 00:41

From Grilled --> Racially Billed

"Who killed him?"

"He was YAKI man.... totally Yaki!"

"I overheard these guys talking about how Bert was killed by Yaki"

"Oh, those murderous scum must be the Yaki".

I think I'll call PBGs "Yakinators" from now on :)

The Captain

Post by The Captain » Tue, 19. Oct 10, 00:45

Maybe referring to an arm of the Yakuza?

Derkylos
x3tc

Post by Derkylos » Tue, 19. Oct 10, 01:06

"Yaki" also refers to a type of hair extensions, and is widely used in relation to hair extensions/replacements (it appears to be a method of weaving the hair together to make such items).

"a Wiki-like CMS written in Python" (http://code.google.com/p/yaki/),

Yaki-Da, a Swedish pop group.

The word features in a number of restauraunt names (presumably related to the Japanese translation).

Michael Yaki is a San Francisco attourney (ok, that is a rather random one, but it is clearly used as a name).

As you can see, the inspiration may well be nothing to do with the Japanese word (although, relating a pirate organisation to some kind of wig may not be a good move...)

And that was just a quick web scan...
Sum, ergo cogito.

palenaka
x3tc

Post by palenaka » Tue, 19. Oct 10, 03:25

Eternall_00 wrote:Yakisoba is yum :P

^

pushy
x4

Post by pushy » Tue, 19. Oct 10, 05:17

Derkylos wrote:As you can see, the inspiration may well be nothing to do with the Japanese word
True...but that logic kinda goes out the window when you see the heavy Japanese influence in the Yaki ship names :P

Whether the choice of "Yaki" (given the translation) was intentional, who knows. It could possibly have been a choice made simply because the word sounds Japanese, or possibly even an in-joke if someone at Egosoft was fond of Japanese cuisine (as has been mentioned there's stuff like teppanyaki, yakisoba, teriyaki, yakitori...all of which would be commonly seen on the menu in Japanese restaurants)...but the fact that the name is derived from Japanese one way or another is rather obvious :)

Derkylos
x3tc

Post by Derkylos » Tue, 19. Oct 10, 17:01

pushy wrote:True...but that logic kinda goes out the window when you see the heavy Japanese influence in the Yaki ship names :P
Not really, seeing as none of the Argon or Boron ships are named after Tolkien characters, yet both "Argon" and "Boron" are Tolkien characters, nor is there any relation between random letters of the alphabet and a noble gas. Names of related objects do not themselves have to be related.
Sum, ergo cogito.

The Captain

Post by The Captain » Tue, 19. Oct 10, 17:04

Argon, Boron, Xenon - gasses. Not sure Egosoft was thinking of medieval fantasy when they came up with the race names...

clevider
x4

Post by clevider » Tue, 19. Oct 10, 17:57

The Captain wrote:Argon, Boron, Xenon - gasses. Not sure Egosoft was thinking of medieval fantasy when they came up with the race names...
I'd wondered about the gas names but could never decide if it was intentional or not. It's odd that they would use 3, but not more or less.

The Argon supposedly take their name from Mr. R. Gunne, but whose to say that Egosoft didn't think up Mr. Gunne's name after they named the race. The Xenon, I imagine, were named from the Greek or Latin word for stranger, "Xenos" (presumably the Xenon have a different name for themselves). The Boron...I dunno.
//-- ...Signature line decrypting: 1%... --\\

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Tue, 19. Oct 10, 18:01

Xeno- is a prefix based on the Greek word "Xenos", meaning stranger.
Xenophobia = Fear of strangers.

Also been used quite a lot in Sci-fi to denote Aliens or Others.
R.e. Xenocide by Orson Scott Card

Derkylos
x3tc

Post by Derkylos » Tue, 19. Oct 10, 18:34

NB: "Xeno" also translates as "friend" :P
Sum, ergo cogito.

The Captain

Post by The Captain » Tue, 19. Oct 10, 18:36

It's the Boron who swayed my opinion towards the gasses being the source of the names. As far as I know... there's nothing else aside from the gas named boron...

Derkylos
x3tc

Post by Derkylos » Tue, 19. Oct 10, 19:11

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boron_%28disambiguation%29

For a few...and, yeah, most of them are proper nouns.
Sum, ergo cogito.

imperium3
x3tc

Post by imperium3 » Tue, 19. Oct 10, 22:16

Derkylos wrote:
pushy wrote:True...but that logic kinda goes out the window when you see the heavy Japanese influence in the Yaki ship names :P
Not really, seeing as none of the Argon or Boron ships are named after Tolkien characters, yet both "Argon" and "Boron" are Tolkien characters, nor is there any relation between random letters of the alphabet and a noble gas. Names of related objects do not themselves have to be related.

Argon and Boron are not Tolkien characters. Unless you're thinking of Aragorn and Boromir but the connection is a bit tenuous. Compared to the chemical element explanation which seems much more likely.

Derkylos
x3tc

Post by Derkylos » Tue, 19. Oct 10, 22:51

imperium3 wrote:

Argon and Boron are not Tolkien characters. Unless you're thinking of Aragorn and Boromir but the connection is a bit tenuous. Compared to the chemical element explanation which seems much more likely.
The Tolkien wiki begs to differ.
Sum, ergo cogito.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”