[TC] Hyperion refuses to be capped - advice please

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

laff
x3tc

Hyperion refuses to be capped - advice please

Post by laff » Sat, 23. Oct 10, 11:25

Im fairly new to capping, but have got a cobra and about 30 marines at 4-5 in trainable skills and 2-5 in fighting. 5 of the marines are 4-5 in fighting.

My target, though a cliche by now is a hyperion for my personal ship.

I have so far capped a Zeus and Agg..... but cant for the life of me cap a hype.

Ive tried so far:

Using a few hammers followed by flails - hard to judge how many will hit the target, and i keep blowing it up.

Using my skiron personally to strip the sheilds (works fine except AFTER the sheilds have gone the hype keeps suiciding itself with a big explosive missile) (it had at least a few torpedoes and a beluga amongst it weapons)

This particular hyperion seems to be a target for the vultures, a terran scimitar and pirate Kea have finished it off after the fails have started flying.

Despite this i have managed to get my top team of marines into the ship (the five 4-5 fighting guys), unfortunately they keep dying on me, usually pretty quickly.

The hype in question does not appear to have any defensive measures in place, any ideas?

Im not adverse to the odd reload and try again, but the marines arent even clearing a deck ( I dont know how many the hype has). On my previous 2 bigger ship boardings i havent lost a single marine.

Any suggestions? I do have enough game cash to invest in extra hardware if required.

fullmetal66
x3tc

Post by fullmetal66 » Sat, 23. Oct 10, 12:19

only thing i can think of is to have 6 marines on your M7M (the max a M6 can take) and fire two pods at the Hyperion.

The its matter of saving and reloading.
Save at each critical point, pods hitting ship, deck 1 clear etc. You know the score.
Also when boarding, its best to do it in a quiet part of the sector.
Finally having turbo boost fitted to M7M's makes solo boarding of faster ships much easier.

Thunders

Post by Thunders » Sat, 23. Oct 10, 12:38

Corvettes only have 2 decks, if I recall correctly. This might just be a simple coincidence, but every time I tried to board a Terran ship in sectors other than Asteroid Belt I failed. So maybe the same thing applies to certain Commonwealth ships. Try locating and boarding another Hyperion Vanguard in a different sector.
When I captured mine (now it's just a blueprint :roll: ), I only used an M7M. Also, you were probably unlucky enough to find one with marines on board. Did you have the bioscanner installed?

laff
x3tc

Post by laff » Sat, 23. Oct 10, 14:04

cheers for the responses guys, before i noticed you had replied my persistance has paid off 8) I now have the hyperion.

This time once my cigs had taken the shields down to 10% i switched to a PAC and Ion D with plenty of wasps gave the hull a bit of a kicking 60% which must have at least taken out the sentry lasers i claimed it didnt have.

A few things i have learned, they wont help the veterans but might help fellow green wouldbe privateers.

+Double check the number of marines your target can take - i was tying one hand behind the back of my men by deploying 5 instead of six

+Scan the target ship before you start shooting, not after a boarding has failed - this is how i missed the internal sentry lasers. :oops:

+Wasps really are as useful as a distractor as people have said

+The Skiron isnt great for dogfighting, but its ok against other M6 because..

+The AI cant dogfight for sh*t

cezarip
x3tc

Re: Hyperion refuses to be capped - advice please

Post by cezarip » Sun, 24. Oct 10, 12:04

laff wrote: My target, though a cliche by now is a hyperion for my personal ship.

I have so far capped a Zeus and Agg..... but cant for the life of me cap a hype.

Ive tried so far:

Using a few hammers followed by flails - hard to judge how many will hit the target, and i keep blowing it up.

Using my skiron personally to strip the sheilds (works fine except AFTER the sheilds have gone the hype keeps suiciding itself with a big explosive missile) (it had at least a few torpedoes and a beluga amongst it weapons)

This particular hyperion seems to be a target for the vultures, a terran scimitar and pirate Kea have finished it off after the fails have started flying.

Scan the Hyperion. It may have Internal Laser Sentries who will make mice-meat of your marines. Also it may have marines with high fighting skills onboard. If it has, then destroy it and hope it will re-spawn without. Also, throw at least 6 marines at the Hyp.
Provided that the laws of mathematics are
related to reality, they are not reliable. And if
they are reliable, they aren’t related to
reality.

Albert Einstein

pjknibbs
x4

Re: Hyperion refuses to be capped - advice please

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 24. Oct 10, 12:23

cezarip wrote: Scan the Hyperion. It may have Internal Laser Sentries who will make mice-meat of your marines.
Er, he already successfully boarded it *and* told us it had Sentry Lasers all along...

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”