Invert mouse direction

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Poacher886
x4

Invert mouse direction

Post by Poacher886 » Thu, 28. Oct 10, 20:49

Hi,

I've decided on using the mouse for a controller, but i don't like the way you move up to go up, i you follow.

I would perfer this the opposite way round a'la joystick....the only option i can find for this in-game, is the "Invert mouse pitch" button, but this seems to have no effect..

Is this a bug or am i missing something here??

Thanks

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 28. Oct 10, 21:13

Taking a guess, you may not actually be setting the value in the menu. I seem to remember that if you click a button to change the value and hit Enter it reverts to its original setting, because Enter actually changes the value on that screen.

Poacher886
x4

Post by Poacher886 » Thu, 28. Oct 10, 21:31

I've had another fiddle...

It seems there are some limitations when using the mouse as your primary controller..

1. As stated, you cant invert mouse....though im getting used to it.

2. Unfortunately, you cant look around to your left / right ect.

3. You cant permently disable that naff option bar on the left...you can when in flight mode, but as soon as you come out of that to select something on screen, back it comes.

4. It would also seem that regardless of if you have semi aim on or off, it still provides you with an aiming marker?

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Fri, 29. Oct 10, 00:16

Which game is this?( I am guessing TC as you mention the side bar menu )
There are five available atm
I have played since X2

!. I have been able to invert the mouse through the game control menu ,but not tried in BTF or X-Tension. X2 through to TC has been no problem.

2 . You can use the number pad to look around...key 5 brings you back to forward facing view.
3. Annoying yes.but most of the time you hardly notice it.Especially if you use wide-screen settings.There is a setting to reduce the use of the side bar menu.

4. Semi etc refers to to the the ships equipment assisting your accuracy.Nothing to do with the actual cross-hairs being visible.

==================
Edited typos.
Last edited by TTD on Fri, 29. Oct 10, 09:15, edited 1 time in total.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 29. Oct 10, 00:59

4. And if you have Fight Cmd I or II installed, you can toggle between 'Off', 'Semi' or 'On' using the 'k' key, giving you varying degrees of aiming help.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

DGagov
x3fl

Post by DGagov » Fri, 29. Oct 10, 12:45

Are you using Classic flight mode? If not, try switching it on (Shift+N I think).

My mouse is inverted, no problem with that.

Poacher886
x4

Post by Poacher886 » Fri, 29. Oct 10, 15:19

Thanks guy's. Im talking TC here)

I've tried switching the "Invert mouse" to "Yes", and then coming out of the menu screen, but there is no change, there doe'nt seem to be an Apply button, but it does ask you if you want to save new profile, which i obvously answer yes to. Even when i go back into the menu screen the option is still turned to "yes" for invert mouse, thus it is not switching back!!

I've noticed that "Classic view" loses the task bar, but as soon as you switch mouse controls to click on other things, the space bar snaps it back to cursor mode again. I.e you have to keep turnning it on manually.

I did'nt realise i needed FLT Cmd software to lose the aim help, thanks i'll purchase and lose it ,as i like to learn the skill of aiming without any help

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 29. Oct 10, 19:10

Poacher886 wrote:...
I did'nt realise i needed FLT Cmd software to lose the aim help, thanks i'll purchase and lose it ,as i like to learn the skill of aiming without any help
You don't need it to lose it, you need it to enable all three levels. If you don't want to use autoaim, simply toggle it to 'Off' using the 'k' key. You don't need Fight Command software to do that.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

TBV
x3tc

Post by TBV » Fri, 29. Oct 10, 19:30

Poacher886 wrote:as i like to learn the skill of aiming without any help
Good man.:thumb_up:

You might like shift->h as well.

DJ Splendid
x3ap

Post by DJ Splendid » Tue, 17. Jan 12, 00:34

Hold on Hold on..

I too, cant get the mouse pitch to be inverted.

Are we going to pretend that Egosoft don't need criticising for this?

I am sick of buying games to find I cannot control things arbitrarily, especially deep games with many user functions, especially PC games where there is simply no excuse, especially after twenty years of being able to do this without issue.

WTF?

EDIT: And I'm only trying to get the mouse to work to my preference because - in direct contrast to the marketing - I cannot natively use my Xbox 360 controller, either.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Tue, 17. Jan 12, 00:51

while necromancing,look back a bit further and you find this...http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=166169...but I realize I told you that in another post. :oops:

Although many features of older games either remain the same or the principles are the same,many things have changed over the past 12 years or so.
Thus older posts may not always be up to date.

That is one reason why the mods don't like old topics being resurrected. :)

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 17. Jan 12, 01:14

Note:

Using a mouse also means you can't overcharge weapons. There is no "hold down the trigger and overcharge the weapon" feature in mouse control.

If there really is, please someone post it!

DJ Splendid
x3ap

Post by DJ Splendid » Tue, 17. Jan 12, 01:42

I appreciate the link TTD but I had noticed it before, hence stating "natively".

It is totally unacceptable for a software house to sit back and expect customers to fix issues with 3rd party software, espcially when the problem is such a trivial engineering challenge while being such a deal-breaker in terms of gameplay.

In the spirit of trying something before seeking a refund, I had a look at XBCD, Xpadder and Pinnacle. The first is dead/not trust worthy and the second two are not free.

------------

A little more info on the mouse pitch deal:

The menu option for inverting the mouse DOES work but only for the classic flight mode. The variable is ignored in the default interface (where most people will want to play).

Aaaaand apparently you lose weapon functionality if using the mouse interface.

------------

Come On! I'm speaking as a fellow engineer and this kind of thing is simply NOT acceptable.

It irritates me all the more because I *really* enjoyed X:BTF all those years ago (with a correctly detected/interpreted gamepad).

Vyrebird
x4

Post by Vyrebird » Tue, 17. Jan 12, 07:46

Morkonan wrote:Note:

Using a mouse also means you can't overcharge weapons. There is no "hold down the trigger and overcharge the weapon" feature in mouse control.

If there really is, please someone post it!
Weapon overcharge worked as normal for me, both in mouse control mode (ie the spacebar toggle) and 'classic' mode (shift+N). Hold down one of the keys associated with firing (right mouse button or left control by default, iirc), and it will start to charge. It will fire on its own when maxxed, or you can release it partially charged by releasing the fire button earlier. For weapons that lack an overcharge, holding fire releases a stream of projectiles.

Justed tested to be sure, in TC, with PPCs in a Boreas' front turret (for the overchargeable case) and HEPTs in a Hyperion's main battery (for the non-overcharge case).

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Tue, 17. Jan 12, 10:12

I appreciate the link TTD but I had noticed it before, hence stating "natively".

It is totally unacceptable for a software house to sit back and expect customers to fix issues with 3rd party software, espcially when the problem is such a trivial engineering challenge while being such a deal-breaker in terms of gameplay.

In the spirit of trying something before seeking a refund, I had a look at XBCD, Xpadder and Pinnacle. The first is dead/not trust worthy and the second two are not free.

Whereas I see your line of argument..

Remember that the XBox controller was not designed to work "natively" with the PC.
People saw the advantage of making it work with a PC ,hence third party controller software.

Some players even try other controllers that were not even meant for Microsoft based machines.

I think the devs have enough to do,trying to make the game playable on the majority of Home PCs,considering how many variables there are.
The chances of someone else having the exact combination of equipment/components as my is not high enough for me to consider betting on it.(if I was a betting person).

Skinmeister

Post by Skinmeister » Tue, 17. Jan 12, 10:20

Last edited by Skinmeister on Sat, 18. Feb 12, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.

Vim Razz
x4

Post by Vim Razz » Tue, 17. Jan 12, 10:31

Then perhaps suggest it to them -- and what it would entail as you understand the details.

Even if they answer, "no, they have no intention of changing the current configuration", then at least you would know it from them, instead of a bunch of speculation from us.

No one on this forum is in a position to give you the answers or solutions that you seem to be looking for.

Skinmeister

Post by Skinmeister » Tue, 17. Jan 12, 10:37

Last edited by Skinmeister on Sat, 18. Feb 12, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.

Vim Razz
x4

Post by Vim Razz » Tue, 17. Jan 12, 10:45

ok, well... good luck with your efforts, then.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Tue, 17. Jan 12, 22:06

@ Skinmeister

ok.
I eat my words.

I based my statement on the Curry's Sales Team advice to me some time back.
I was told it was was not fully compatible for playing PC games.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”