[TC] what does the " system override software" do?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Daggaroth
x3tc

what does the " system override software" do?

Post by Daggaroth » Thu, 4. Nov 10, 10:26

I found a friendly pirate base in a paranid sector , decided to dock up and check it out and i found they sold the " system override software" i bought it but i dont know how to get it to work.

anyone have any ideas?

thetack
x3tc

Post by thetack » Thu, 4. Nov 10, 11:41

it allows you to claim ships from your ship rather than a space walk , but it still needs you to get stupidly close to do it which i find easier as a walk when you can also do some repairs.
Note it is illegal to have and system police will take it very badly if you have one , you can either get a signiture scrambler from the duke to cover this but as it costs 1m crdits on top of the system overide software price its a costly waste of time to have, or get the system overide fitted to a docked m5 where the police wont spot it, still i have never found the need for it ever.

Daggaroth
x3tc

Post by Daggaroth » Thu, 4. Nov 10, 12:01

so it only works on abandoned / derelict ships , not active ships?

Thunders

Post by Thunders » Thu, 4. Nov 10, 12:15

Exactly.

I used the Hub to get Duke's HQ within the range of a hack-station mission NPC and bought their software for two ships (current capital ship - Titan back then, Tyr nowadays - and a back-up, faster ship - Springblossom) and looted a lot of Cargo Bay Shielding from the Duke's HQ itself and pirate/yaki boarded ships.

TBV
x3tc

Post by TBV » Thu, 4. Nov 10, 18:42

As thetack says, it's usually easier to go for a space-walk. But it does come
into it's own when you want to claim a ship in a very hostile enviroment, like say Kha'ak-space.

Close distance - claim - beam over docking computer - beam over self - autodock.

Thunders

Post by Thunders » Thu, 4. Nov 10, 18:48

And the larger the ship you're flying, the bigger the range on this software extension. For example, if you equip an M2 with it you'll only need to be ~1 km away from the ship you wish to claim.

Progress-M
x3tc

Post by Progress-M » Thu, 4. Nov 10, 23:04

TBV wrote:As thetack says, it's usually easier to go for a space-walk. But it does come
into it's own when you want to claim a ship in a very hostile enviroment, like say Kha'ak-space.

Close distance - claim - beam over docking computer - beam over self - autodock.
This works well if you're into doing very hard return ship-missions too...I had a good time in my last game doing this, it's fun running against the clock.

I had a Chokaro with a docked Kestrel for speed and a Kea for extra cargo space (Pirate Blastclaw Prototype or Enhanced Kea would be even better), which left one hangar slot open.

All ships loaded with goodies, including docking computer, jumpdrive and ecells on docked ships.

1. Get mission, jump to target sector

2. Upon entering target sector, hop to Kestrel immediately and start rushing towards target ship, command Chokaro to follow you

3. Claim ship using override software

4a. If ship is M3-M5,
-order it to follow Chokaro
-transfer docking computer to claimed ship, fly to Chokaro with Kestrel and when at 5 km range, transfer docking computer from Chokaro to Kestrel: you'll be transferred to the Chokaro's cockpit
-fly towards claimed ship and once close enough, change ship to claimed ship and immediately ctrl-d to get back to Chokaro
-immediately ctrl-J to engage jump engine and while charging, change docking computer from claimed ship to Chokaro
-jump to zone, fly to the vicinity of the target station and launch claimed ship to fly to station (not too close, as AI ships need to do the whole docking procedure thingy
-jump off to let the docking commence OOS

4b If ship is not M3-M5:
-if you can carry enough ecells on Kestrel(target station is near), transfer jumpdrive and enough E-cells to claimed ship and order it to jump to sector, then to dock at target station
-if you can't carry enough ecells, transfer jumpdrive and order claimed ship to follow Chokaro. Once close enough to Chokaro, transfer rest of ecells to claimed ship and jump it to target sector and order it to dock
-dock Kestrel to Chokaro, jump Chokaro to target sector, transfer Chokaro's jumpdrive to Kestrel and grab the claimed ships jumpdrive back

Works like a charm(each step saves precious seconds) and it can be quite a fun little operation actually. Call me strange but I really had fun with my little Retrieve-a-Ship company :)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”