[TC] Hyperion Target - Hopeless?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

jwigeland
x3tc

Hyperion Target - Hopeless?

Post by jwigeland » Sun, 7. Nov 10, 07:38

Well, here I found what seems to be the last of two Hyperion Vanguards floating around in Paranid space. Set my scout to tail him so as not to lose track of it. Quick freight scan reveals... uh oh...

Advanced Firewall Software
Hull Polarization Device

Well, it could have been worse. LOL I have six five and four star fighting marines in training and a cobra waiting to deliver them via boarding pods. How high should I go on the skills? Or is this hopeless?

The last time I tried boarding (in a prior game) I spent five minutes roasting the Hyperion with Ion Disruptors and it did nothing. So, I'm not going to try that route again.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 7. Nov 10, 07:43

Five minutes? If you want to do any sort of significant equipment damage with IonDs you need to be prepared to go at it for half an hour or more, it's not surprising you didn't see good results from five minutes!

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Sun, 7. Nov 10, 10:50

I capped a Hyperion the other night with the same defense as your one. In my case I used a Hvy Centaur with 5 marines with 5 stars across the board, took two attempts to capture it, first attempt only 3 marines got onboard, second attempt all marine got onboard and I capped it with no losses. I did have to jump to the other side of the sector once marines were onboard as I had barely any shields left.

Progress-M
x3tc

Post by Progress-M » Sun, 7. Nov 10, 10:59

Fully doable, I'd say...but M6's are supposed to be real tough these days so you might need to be prepared for a loss/reload or two.

jwigeland
x3tc

Post by jwigeland » Sun, 7. Nov 10, 15:21

pjknibbs wrote:Five minutes? If you want to do any sort of significant equipment damage with IonDs you need to be prepared to go at it for half an hour or more, it's not surprising you didn't see good results from five minutes!
Geep! My bad... LOL

Okey doke, I'll give it a go once I've got some three and four stars in the trainable skills. I've no problem with reloading (heck, this is the only M6 I'll ever need). If it's obviously not going to happen I'll revisit the IDs too.

Thanks! I'll post results when I succeed!

Thunders

Post by Thunders » Sun, 7. Nov 10, 15:30

I captured a Hyperion Vanguard (now a mere blueprint) on 2.5 with a Cobra. Did you try boarding one with an M7M?

jwigeland
x3tc

Post by jwigeland » Sun, 7. Nov 10, 19:42

Oh yes, my prior post was not clear...

In my prior game I first tried to fry off the Hyperion's equipment with Ion Disruptors (but I wasn't patient enough), and then switched to an M7M and boarded without incident. However, this was under v2.1. LOL I figure I'm in for a harder fight this time around...

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Sun, 7. Nov 10, 22:40

jwigeland wrote:Oh yes, my prior post was not clear...

In my prior game I first tried to fry off the Hyperion's equipment with Ion Disruptors (but I wasn't patient enough), and then switched to an M7M and boarded without incident. However, this was under v2.1. LOL I figure I'm in for a harder fight this time around...
Well if it's got a firewall and hull plating you are going to need 5 stars in mech and hacking to have any chance of success. In my case I had to use the old space walk method, as I forgot to loadup on boarding pods with my M7M. :oops:

Thunders

Post by Thunders » Sun, 7. Nov 10, 23:02

SIMON POPPLEWELL wrote:In my case I had to use the old space walk method, as I forgot to loadup on boarding pods with my M7M. :oops:
Have a Springblossom deliver some emergency supplies. :wink:

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Mon, 8. Nov 10, 00:50

Thunders wrote:
SIMON POPPLEWELL wrote:In my case I had to use the old space walk method, as I forgot to loadup on boarding pods with my M7M. :oops:
Have a Springblossom deliver some emergency supplies. :wink:
Didn't think of that. :shock: I was in my Hvy Centaur keeping the shields down when I realized I'd forgotten to loadup pods on my M7M. Had to do an in system jump and transfer some marines over to my Centaur and do a spacewalk boarding. Next time I'm loading up on Flails/Hammers I'll have to check my pod supply next time. :)

jwigeland
x3tc

Post by jwigeland » Mon, 8. Nov 10, 13:41

LOL I went through the X-verse and scooped up every missile I could find. I ended up with 60 flails and 8 Hammers. Ouch...

Obviously I'll need a little missile-plex if I'm to take boarding seriously (without the cloning trick of course, which I'm trying to avoid).

At least I have enough for the Hyperion (plus a few pods as well). But my first marines just finished "advanced all skills" and only gained about 40 points. Meaning I have to send them all through again. Looks like the Hyperion is safe for a while yet...

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Mon, 8. Nov 10, 14:22

jwigeland wrote:LOL I went through the X-verse and scooped up every missile I could find. I ended up with 60 flails and 8 Hammers. Ouch...

Obviously I'll need a little missile-plex if I'm to take boarding seriously (without the cloning trick of course, which I'm trying to avoid).

At least I have enough for the Hyperion (plus a few pods as well). But my first marines just finished "advanced all skills" and only gained about 40 points. Meaning I have to send them all through again. Looks like the Hyperion is safe for a while yet...
A Flail/Hammer plex is a good investment if you plan on using an M7M. As for the Hyperion you might find one that doesn't have so many boarding defenses. A Hyperion passes through Desecrated Skies, Moo-Kye's Revenge quite often, a good ambush location. :pirat:

jwigeland
x3tc

Post by jwigeland » Mon, 8. Nov 10, 15:43

Yes... unfortunately that's the one I'm tailing right now...

The other one that I saw in Duke's Vision way too early in my game to do anything about it is now not in any of the Paranid sectors near there.

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Mon, 8. Nov 10, 19:56

jwigeland wrote:Yes... unfortunately that's the one I'm tailing right now...

The other one that I saw in Duke's Vision way too early in my game to do anything about it is now not in any of the Paranid sectors near there.
There should be two flying around Paranid sectors at any one time. Usually one in Paranid core sectors and another in Cardinal's Domain region. The two pirate sectors I mentioned are also a good ambush point for Aggamemnon and Zeus patrols also. Which makes me think they may sometimes get destroyed on route, just a theory though.

jwigeland
x3tc

Post by jwigeland » Mon, 8. Nov 10, 20:02

I'll keep looking for the other HV while I wait for my marines to train up but I've flown around all the sectors near Paranid Prime so many times that I should have run into him by now... Of course I've seen about seven Aggys. Oh well.

Maybe I'll get the one I'm tailing without too much fuss once I get some four stars in trainable skills. Fingers crossed! =)

jwigeland
x3tc

Post by jwigeland » Tue, 9. Nov 10, 06:56

SUCCESS!!!

Once four of my best fighting marines (one 5 and three 4s) had finished training advanced all skills (which gave them two stars each across the board), I said "what the heck" and jumped into Priest Refuge where the Hyperion was drifting along.

I had previously received a high-skill Boron marine (4 fight, 4 hack, 3 engineering, 2 mechanical) with a TM for sale so that made my fifth.

After many a mishap (usually over-use of Flails) I eventually got the hang of it. I used four hammers from 28km out to get the ship down between 0 and 50% (depending on how many it shot down), then peppered it with Flails to get its attention. Once it turned to chase me down voila - no missile defense! I was free to launch the pod and one flail every 3 or 4% shield increase.

Hull Polarization was no trouble ("The hull is thick - stand by for an update!"). All five marines made it through the decks without casualty. Finally the firewall was no problem either ("They have a new security algorithm - most unfortunate").

Best of all - there was only one lonesome Border control Pericles who happily accepted my appology. I didn't even lose a recognition rank.

All in all, a very happy boarding. Good luck to everyone! =)

POST 1100 - how cool is that? G'night!

Progress-M
x3tc

Post by Progress-M » Tue, 9. Nov 10, 07:27

Congratulations. :)

MarvinTheMartian
x4

Post by MarvinTheMartian » Tue, 9. Nov 10, 09:38

Awesome. I want one :D
Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!
X3AP 3.1 Printable Universe Sector Map

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Tue, 9. Nov 10, 11:48

Well done Jwigeland! :D With the best ship in the game you'll be unstoppable. 8)

jwigeland
x3tc

Post by jwigeland » Tue, 9. Nov 10, 12:50

LOL thanks! The only thing better that an HV is a supertuned HV. =)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”