[TC] Drones & Final Fury

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

SirDeity
x3tc

Drones & Final Fury

Post by SirDeity » Tue, 9. Nov 10, 00:04

How do I use drones? I have a couple fighter MK IIs but I have no idea how to use them.

Also, on the final furry mission, is the Vidar a strong enough ship to handle the part of the mission where you are sent to xenon sector to defend a station? I got blown up pretty fast. Is a capital ship required?

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Tue, 9. Nov 10, 00:16

Just eject the drones and you can command them like any other fighter.

Depends on skill and load out.

jwigeland
x3tc

Post by jwigeland » Tue, 9. Nov 10, 01:16

For Operation Final Fury I would definately recommend getting a capital ship that can mount Flak guns. You may not need it now but you will absolutely need it later in the campaign.

SirDeity
x3tc

Post by SirDeity » Tue, 9. Nov 10, 23:14

Okay... weird... I guess I assumed ejecting them would be like ejecting anything else (they'd be tossed out the airlock in a crate). Anyway, now I'm having trouble getting my drones back in my ships. I went to issue it orders to return home or return back to freight bay or whatever but couldn't find it. Do I have to issue a stop command and fly through them in order to get them back in my cargo?

StarTroll
x4

Post by StarTroll » Tue, 9. Nov 10, 23:37

SirDeity wrote:Okay... weird... I guess I assumed ejecting them would be like ejecting anything else (they'd be tossed out the airlock in a crate). Anyway, now I'm having trouble getting my drones back in my ships. I went to issue it orders to return home or return back to freight bay or whatever but couldn't find it. Do I have to issue a stop command and fly through them in order to get them back in my cargo?
Yes, you have to make them stop and run over every single drone to get them back to your cargo bay.
SCUM : They may exceed you in number, but not in value.

nefas
x4

Post by nefas » Tue, 9. Nov 10, 23:39

Just make them stop and scoop them up with your ship just like any cargo container.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Wed, 10. Nov 10, 01:15

Unless your ship has a hangar, then they can be ordered to dock at your ship.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 10. Nov 10, 01:53

Technically, you give them the 'protect me' command, and providing there are no enemies in scanner range of any of your assets, they'll automatically dock.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Wed, 10. Nov 10, 12:54

That how that works? Interesting.

Paladin-Solo

Post by Paladin-Solo » Wed, 10. Nov 10, 21:10

Nanook wrote:Technically, you give them the 'protect me' command, and providing there are no enemies in scanner range of any of your assets, they'll automatically dock.
Don't you have to be OOS for this too?

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 10. Nov 10, 21:13

No, I don't think so, but it does help with collision detection.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

RandomBandit
x3tc

Post by RandomBandit » Thu, 11. Nov 10, 06:04

Accept the fact that drones are a 'throw away' asset and you will like them much more later on :)

I ran FF mostly in a Thresher with a Nova wingman and a wing (5) of various M4s...I used a TON of drones though (I had a small factory making them by that point). If you spit out 20 drones before things get bad, you can usually distract the enemy enough to make the fight VERY easy. When s**t just plain goes arse-up...you launch 350 drones and kiss the sector goodbye.

Before I had the infrastructure needed to turn my ship into a Keris-faucet, I used to only launch 3-5 drones at a go. At that point they are not really killing much, but they can take a lot of fire off you for a minute while you beat some baddies up.

I did have my first Mk2, that I kept snatching up before it ran outa gas...it got smoked by a Paranid shockwave generator :cry:

I <3 Drones (and ranting)
<X3tc 2.0> patched up to 3.1 (No BonusPack)
<X3ap>
I do not use scripts/mods.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”