Tormented Teladi and the right way to do it.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Progress-M
x3tc

Tormented Teladi and the right way to do it.

Post by Progress-M » Sat, 20. Nov 10, 06:43

I've seen a few "yea I made the money in 1h 50 min lol ez kthxbye" posts, but I have to say I'm a bit at a loss. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not whining, just wondering about this a bit.

You start with no money, S cargo ship and little reputation. That's fine, did that in Nostalgic Argon but there was no time limit.

Now, to get money, you need to either trade or do missions. To get missions, you need some reputation, to get decent rewards from missions you need trade rank or fight rank.

Now, I'm alright with getting started, I'm able to find a place where I can raise my trade rank and race rep a bit in a couple hours of game time(this time around I found a Rimes Fact 5 and a Wheat Farm 5 km's apart and raised my trade rank to Apprentice Trader).

However, people talk about getting a couple of MORTs from used ship purchases and transporting passengers while operating the MORTs...now, as far as I can see you need to be pretty darn lucky to find a couple of cheap ships in time! To have ships on offer you have to have race rep, getting race rep takes time when you're flying a tiny slow rig with no jump drive and all that.

I guess I'd need to find some better trading opportunities or something, space weed would be great probably. Who buys space fuel and space weed besides IBL forges and barter opportunities, though?

Still, I'm finding it hard to accomplish this within the time frame, am I doing something wrong or do I just need to get a bit luckier?

...and before you say it, no, not going to go for the abandoned ships, kthx.

Regards

Progress-M

KextV8
x4

Post by KextV8 » Sat, 20. Nov 10, 08:14

My advice would be as follows:

Head immediately south to the little corner of Boron space. In my experience, Boron rep raises fairly quickly down there. There are often Passenger Transport, and station defense missions in those two core sectors(Queen's Retribution and Queen's Harbor), and over in Faded dreams there is a nice Military Outpost that tends to have a nice supply of missions to choose from.

Check every sector upon nearing gates/entering/exiting for the purchase symbol for ships. For this to work, you will need to of course upgrade your ship to Medium cargo so you can actually do the transport missions :P. A good jumpstart for some cash would be to take the abandoned ship missions and simply sell the ship off. The rep will come back rapidly if you keep doing missions. Also, occasionally split/boron patrols clash in the area and can drop you some nice missiles to loot. Once you can get to a TP and get it kitted out including jump drive from the nearby Atreus Headquarters in QH, the money from doing those transport missions(and boron rep) should roll in easily fast enough to complete the Tormented Teladi quest.

All that said, it is probably going to be quite luck based. You will need to get a good spawn of missions, you will need to probably get a lucky ship(Can often get a TP on the cheap there if you are lucky enough), and it would be nice if you got lucky and one of those capital patrol battles was occuring.

Edit: Also the nearby pirate Sector can provide you with a place to plink helpless dolphins that the Boron are so fond of, so you can make them eject potentially valuable goods :D, or their ship, even in your Harrier.

Edit again: If you are feeling particularly mean, you might get lucky by hiring the Boron TL, having it dock in Queen's Retribution Shipyard, then go over there and have it undock while you are in sector. A large amount of the time it collides with the shipyard, potentially providing you with free loots!

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 20. Nov 10, 08:30

My priority with this start is always to raise one or more of my race ranks, and the best way to do that is by taking missions. At low fight ranks you can complete station defence missions and the like with the pathetic little pop-guns you have available, so don't discount those as potential rep earners (although you shouldn't do too many because it will push your fight rank too high); return ship missions that you actually complete rather than stealing the ship work, too. The idea is to get my race rank to the point where people start offering me second-hand ships, because buying, repairing, and selling those on is extremely profitable. Following this approach I was able to get the required funds to complete the starting mission in about 7 hours of game time, which is well within the time available.

Kryten
x4

Post by Kryten » Sat, 20. Nov 10, 09:57

...and before you say it, no, not going to go for the abandoned ships, kthx.
If you allready know how to beat this scenario why ask how to beat it ?

I,ve restarted TC so many times that I don't mind exploiting every trick there is. If you where not ment to claim ships then they'd be surrounded by squash mines. Well one of them is but I never bother with that one :lol:

You allready know how to complete this the hard way so I won't mention a certain mining operation to make things go extremely easy :roll:
X2 Vet
X3 Recruit
[ external image ]
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

razorhead
x4

Post by razorhead » Sat, 20. Nov 10, 11:05

I completed this start just two days ago. My plan was most similar to pjknibbs. Got some rep with both Teladi and Argon first (mainly doing missions around Belt of Aguilar and Interworlds, Grand exchange-Bright Profit with respect to the Teladi. With this I managed to quickly equip the ship to its max speed and guns, fight command MK1 is vital.

After that it was just carrying out combat missions. Managed to capture a pirate elite, which was quite helpful in terms of credits. I never actually captured another M5 throughout the ordeal so I never changed ships, was stuck to that teladi harrier the whole time.

With this I was done in about 7 hours In-game.

Progress-M
x3tc

Post by Progress-M » Sat, 20. Nov 10, 15:07

Well, I get more satisfaction from the game if I beat it with other ways than n-mining/abandoned ships. Each to their own. :)

Then again, I've only done a couple of TC starts...but so far I actually like the nitty-gritty piss-poor stage of the game, how I get excited about being able to finally afford a second-hand wreck of a ship held together with chewing gum, duck tape and fishing line etc.

I'm not sure how this is going to go, got like 3.5 hours left in the clock but I've got 2 TS's, one TP and an M5 at the moment doing MORTing while I'm looking for more ship deals and good taxi missions.

Progress-M
x3tc

Post by Progress-M » Sat, 20. Nov 10, 17:53

[ external image ]

19 minutes and 400k credits spare too!

NUKLEAR-SLUG
x3tc

Post by NUKLEAR-SLUG » Sat, 20. Nov 10, 18:44

That's a speedy one too.

Progress-M
x3tc

Post by Progress-M » Sun, 21. Nov 10, 03:08

Yes, I'm quite happy...it might be not the best M3 in the game, but at a quick glance it looks pretty satisfactory, especially with the lucky overtuning.

It was challenging enough for me to get it that I think I'm going to have it as my personal ship for a bit, play the Teladi merchant role and all.

erebrus

Post by erebrus » Wed, 8. Dec 10, 22:20

I've only been playing the game for a week, but so far, apart from taking advantage of spoilers (e.g. abandoned ships), the fastest way to make money seems to be selling ships, either by capping them or buying them damaged ships and selling them repaired.
The problem is that the lack of money plus the lack of flight mk2 sw makes these approaches complicated at the start. That brings us to the other way of selling ships...getting mission to claim them and then selling it before the cops get to you. I did this a couple of times to get some initial money and from then on it was easy. My first upgrade was to a buzzard and then I faced 1 harrier, 2 elites and 1 nova raider. The challenge was that I only had IREs. The reward was a nova raider and an elite. Just that was 1.7M.

Smacksim
x4

Post by Smacksim » Thu, 9. Dec 10, 01:12

Progress-M wrote:[ external image ]

19 minutes and 400k credits spare too!
Cutting it a bit close there Progress! I like the pic too, like a Teladi Centerfold for gearheads.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”