[TC] Are advanced satellites really necessary?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

SirDeity
x3tc

Are advanced satellites really necessary?

Post by SirDeity » Sun, 21. Nov 10, 04:05

I have a merchant fleet of 25 ships, most of which are universal traders. They seem to be working just fine on trade command software MK3, generating several million per hour. I'm curious though, would they generate more income if I were to deploy a satellite network throughout various systems? To be more specific, would they have less downtime (standing bye..) if satellites were available or are they just as able to find good trade deals with or without satellites?

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sun, 21. Nov 10, 04:41

UT's don't use Sat Networks. CAG's do, and they improve your ability to trade remotely, as well as find enemies to hunt, and ships to board. Plus in sector they let you use a camera to see where things are.

AgamemnonArgon
x3tc

Post by AgamemnonArgon » Sun, 21. Nov 10, 08:50

The camera facility helps with placing stations, I used it recently to line up several equipment docks to park some Capital ships for resupply.
Argon Patriot and Battlemaster
Peace - Through Superior Firepower

Kryten
x4

Post by Kryten » Sun, 21. Nov 10, 09:07

If you do a lot of station placements then they are essential especially if you make huge complexes and need the stations places very close together, although they are more expensive you'd probably need them so might as well just start out with them. They also seem to very easy to get in TC, those military bases just love to stock them.
X2 Vet
X3 Recruit
[ external image ]
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

SirDeity
x3tc

Post by SirDeity » Sun, 21. Nov 10, 10:10

I don't understand how using a satellite could possibly affect station positioning. I just use my tractor beam and drag my stations where I want them with my cruiser ship. Once stations are "tight" and in a position of my choosing I connect them to the main complex using a construction kit.

How would a satellite make this easier?

silenced
x4

Post by silenced » Sun, 21. Nov 10, 10:24

SirDeity wrote:How would a satellite make this easier?
If you press 'k' with an Advanced Sat in the same sector you see the 3D-Environment in the map directly, which makes station placing quite easy, still not perfect but better than nothing, just note how far away the station is from the previous one and placing adjacent ones of the same type is really fast.

Towing stuff is kinda ... sorry, retarted? (Except for Ore/Silicon mines)

I also got a few Busters flying around with 'Deploy Satnetwork' as command, and one Mistral freighter with CLS buying new satellites all the time and refilling the Busters constantly anywhere in the universe, works like a charm.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Simoom
x4

Post by Simoom » Sun, 21. Nov 10, 12:13

An alternative, if you don't mind a ***modified*** tag, is to use the Factory Complex Constructor - every complex builder's best friend. :D

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sun, 21. Nov 10, 14:00

It gives a 3D wireframe view of the stations. Use the Home and End keys to zoom in to see the station.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”