Wingmen - I'm this close to shooting them down on general principal

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

KaptainObvious

Wingmen - I'm this close to shooting them down on general principal

Post by KaptainObvious » Thu, 25. Nov 10, 02:22

My first attempt to have wingmen tag along for capping corvettes and M3+'s.

My issues:

When I attach myself to a wing I get man-handled by autopilot when assigning targets. It keeps overtaking my stearing.

When I don't assign myself onto a wing but assign a wing to me there seems to be a sense of "we will do what we want to, when we want to". Sometimes they will attack my target (using Shift + 6). Sometimes they just circle each other and the "Attack My Target" Shows up for a second and then changes back to "Follow Me."

I am also confused as to what screen to give orders from. From the Orders Screen i.e. Protect Me? Or the Wing Command Counsel? Which one should I use?

From the Wing Command Counsel I will order my Wing to Attack Shields. Always without fail they will lay on the trigger until the target is destroyed. And it's not from a heavy trigger. I only have two wingmen and they will fire on a corvette until it is destroyed.

I must be missing something.

Also, is there a way to set Hotlkeys for changing from Attack Target / Attack Enemies / Attack shield etc? Right now I am scrambling through screens trying to change orders while in a fire fight.

Catra

Post by Catra » Thu, 25. Nov 10, 02:53

1) default behaviour, the player isnt supposed to be in a wing.

2) wings travel in formation, and are probably trying to get back into the assigned formation.

3) er, dont think it matters.

4) ships dont take into account shots that are "in the air", so youll need to cutdown on the amount of firepower you put on em if you want shield suppression duty(1 ship with a IRE / PAC / PBE is usually sufficient for this)

Shrekken
x3tc

Post by Shrekken » Thu, 25. Nov 10, 03:12

What I do is assign a number of ships (usually around 3 or 4) to be my wingmen on the command console for each ship:
Wingman <<Yes>>
Then they can be given orders from my ships command console ('>> Broadcast' then '>>Broadcast: Wingmen) 'Protect me' etc., or from their own individual menus.

Don't assign them to a wing (blue wing for example). Leave the different colour wings to carry out other tasks.
For example I have three wings homebased to my Raptor, so if my Raptor is attacked, they launch and defend. I can also order wings to attack, protect etc., from the wing command menu (Press 'R' then select 'Wings' tab, or by selcting the command console when a wing member is your target.

Treat wingmen like your own personal body guards and your wings as your main fighter force. It basically keeps it all simpler and easier to understand.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Thu, 25. Nov 10, 04:19

Wings are not surgical instruments. And they're only for use on AI ships.

A wing of M5's is great if you're doing station defense missions. Order them to attack all enemies and they'll usually pair off and stomp into the ground the attacking fighters.

Or distract the turrets of a bigger ship.

Attack shields is mainly meant for a single ship, or fighter drones.

For personally followers, Shrekken is right. Use Wingmen instead. Then you've got two hotkey's, Protect Me, and Attack my target.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”