[TC] where to position my ship to cap that damn hyperion? (with spacewalk)

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Ixpha
x4

where to position my ship to cap that damn hyperion? (with spacewalk)

Post by Ixpha » Thu, 25. Nov 10, 07:09

Just started out trying to cap the hyperion today with my vidar, tried with springblossom first but i found it lacking in defence to hold out the needed time to get the shields down and wait for the marines.

The problem ive had tons of times today is i just cant get all 5 of the marines to land, its always just 2-3 wich makes it fail. The best way i found to get them easy placed where i wanted was to ram the hyperion abit to 50-40 ish % since i could place myself easily when he had the patrol speed to eject my marines, but still so many attempts ive tried from front,left,right, above.....there always is 2-3 marines that goes poof the opposite way of the target ship.

Frustrated!

Where is the "sweet spot" to spacewalk the marines from? ive read so many guides but none of them tell me where to place my ship when i eject them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also i didnt know about the fight skill on marines when i first started to train some and i have a TP full of 1-2 star fighting skill marines wich i had trained to max...what is considered the easiest target to cap for me to train the fighting skill on these guys?

Thanks in advance :)

Kryten
x4

Post by Kryten » Thu, 25. Nov 10, 07:34

Spacewalking was broken in 2.7 and hasn't been fixed. you need to use an M7M to board ships these days...
X2 Vet
X3 Recruit
[ external image ]
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Ixpha
x4

Post by Ixpha » Thu, 25. Nov 10, 08:37

Kryten wrote:Spacewalking was broken in 2.7 and hasn't been fixed. you need to use an M7M to board ships these days...
man, i gotta watch those dates on the guide replies, noone have said that in any post ive read :x

So its no point with spacewalking at all?

Kryten
x4

Post by Kryten » Thu, 25. Nov 10, 08:58

nope, not even on abandoneds ships, most marines will bounce off. On the up side, they said its just a numbers game so capturing with boarding pods should be very easy if you send more than you normally would.
X2 Vet
X3 Recruit
[ external image ]

Kapakio
x4

Post by Kapakio » Thu, 25. Nov 10, 12:39

That's an overstatement Kryten. Spacewalking boarding is more difficult now because the boarding teams are split in smaller groups. With that in mind, you can perfectly figure out how to improved the odds and be successful. So, yes, you can still board an Hyperion with spacewalking, just be sure that ALL marines are well trained.

Kryten
x4

Post by Kryten » Thu, 25. Nov 10, 12:45

overstatement? over 30 tries and all ending in bouncing marines, I wouldn't call that an overstatement. It worked perfectly before 2.7 so I see that as broken and not fine tuned :lol:
X2 Vet
X3 Recruit
[ external image ]

Rive
x3tc

Post by Rive » Thu, 25. Nov 10, 13:05

Spacewalk works as usual. Just for fun I've tested it a few days ago (against a Hype, with a TP. )

To the OP:
- The Springblossom is not optimal for spacewalk boarding - those tailblades makes things much harder. Chose something else, which has less stuff behind the cockpit.
- Use drones and the shields will down, the turrets will be busy for all the OP.
- Choose something else for first target.
- If you have marines with low fighting then don't go with an M6 - the sixth marine will be essentially.
- Use 'additional ship commands' instead of 'Piracy'
- Check the vid below.

Eisenkalle
x3tc

Post by Eisenkalle » Thu, 25. Nov 10, 13:49

vbruzual wrote:That's an overstatement Kryten. Spacewalking boarding is more difficult now because the boarding teams are split in smaller groups. With that in mind, you can perfectly figure out how to improved the odds and be successful. So, yes, you can still board an Hyperion with spacewalking, just be sure that ALL marines are well trained.
As far as I read (I play v2.1 because of this!!!) you have a chance to spacewalk, but the problem is, the marines split into different groups. They won't enter the ship as one group, like in v2.1. So you have 10 marines (when you are crazy enough to board with TP), they split up in 3 groups @3,3,4 Marines. One group reaches the hull, comes thorugh, but gets wasted, next group too and the last one also. So the problem is, they are to few and they are asynchron. In v2.1 you let out 5-10 marines, if only one reached the hull, it was counted for the whole group and when they got through they fought as one group. That is the point... they are split into to many individual group with less fightingpower.

BTT: That is why you should use a M7M from v2.5 upwards. So you won't hassle with this strange spacewalk behaviour anymore. Nontheless it IS possible to spacewalk, but it is a high risk operation and mostly you will lose.

@Rive: Nice tutorials! Just enjoyed them both. Thanks! ;-) How did you take this video? Got a FRAPS key? I saw no Frames/Logo...
I am a Mistral Tycoon!

Poisoned Paranid Start (X3TC): Take a joyride in a Hyperion Vanguard (250.3m/s)! VANILLA Updated 2012-04-02 (new mediafire link)

Kryten
x4

Post by Kryten » Thu, 25. Nov 10, 14:19

Well just tried it 4 times with a scabbard and every time first group got kicked of then second group landed and got kicked off. That never happened before 2.7 and your guide was made prior to that patch, you can't really say its still relevant today. I'd rather go with an M7M than rely on 20 reloads for a successful operation.
X2 Vet
X3 Recruit
[ external image ]

Kapakio
x4

Post by Kapakio » Thu, 25. Nov 10, 14:31

Before 2.7, marines split in groups of 5 (never 10 or more), so it was more or less equivalent to boarding pods. Now the can be split in smaller groups (2 or 3). That's the only difference. With good positioning (to assure that everyone contact the hull at the same time) and all marines trained in mechanics (to assure all sub-teams break the hull) you can have pre-2.7 comparable rate of success.

I've capped a lot of ships with spacewalking after 2.7, but to be honest, it's easier to cap an M7M than an M6 with this techinique.

Rive
x3tc

Post by Rive » Thu, 25. Nov 10, 14:31

Kryten wrote:... and your guide was made prior to that patch, you can't really say its still relevant today. ...
Rive wrote:Spacewalk works as usual. Just for fun I've tested it a few days ago (against a Hype, with a TP. )
I'm trying to keep that guide up-to-date.
And at the end of the guide-topic there is an another story too.

Spacewalk boarding is (very) hard and (even more) tricky. I can quite understand if somebody don't even try it or just give it up. But it's not 'bugged' or 'broken'.

@Eisenkalle: FRAPS, but not on my machine.

Eisenkalle
x3tc

Post by Eisenkalle » Thu, 25. Nov 10, 14:51

@Rive:

Ah thank you. Hm I am looking for a freeware tool, but all tools I looked into so far, are more or less shareware (like FRAPS or dxtory).
I am a Mistral Tycoon!

Poisoned Paranid Start (X3TC): Take a joyride in a Hyperion Vanguard (250.3m/s)! VANILLA Updated 2012-04-02 (new mediafire link)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”