[R] Confused about nav satellites...

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Jaysu

[R] Confused about nav satellites...

Post by Jaysu » Mon, 13. Dec 10, 07:00

TLDR version: What exactly requires nav satellites to function?

Longer version:
I just placed my first factory, and having the bonus pack installed (most of which I don't yet understand), I set up my station manager and told it to add a couple ships. Frankly, I didn't expect the ships to go anywhere, simply because I have no nav satellites put up (and my understanding is that the station manager will only send ships to locations where nav satellites already exist).

... except for cases where you have a SHIP in the destination sector... In this case does it matter whether the ships in remote sectors have trade extensions or not? All of my UTs have trade extensions so I can occasionally check on price across the verse.

Aaaaaand... if UTs can go about their business without a single nav satellite in service, why is it that station ships can't?
Last edited by Jaysu on Mon, 13. Dec 10, 08:52, edited 1 time in total.

Simoom
x4

Post by Simoom » Mon, 13. Dec 10, 07:54

Are you playing X3R or X3TC?

I think in X3R the CAGs required nav sats to function, but in X3TC they don't. There's an option to toggle whether or not you want them to trade in sat-only sectors, but the default is off and they operate just fine with a satellite network.

btw you don't need to equip trade extensions on any ship other than your own.... all the trade extension does is allowing you to see the prices outside of your sector and buy/sale remotely. As long as you have a ship or satellite in the said sector, you can see the ware prices in that sector, and buy/sale remotely.

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Mon, 13. Dec 10, 07:58

I assume X3R, if the OP is using Station Manager.

Jaysu

Post by Jaysu » Mon, 13. Dec 10, 08:53

Sorry about it, edited to add [R] to subject line. X3R...
As long as you have a ship or satellite in the said sector, you can see the ware prices in that sector, and buy/sale remotely.
Ooohhhhh.

Oops :oops: :oops:

Thanks though!

Jaysu

Post by Jaysu » Mon, 13. Dec 10, 16:56

Hmm. Been working on a wheat farm and solar power plant. Finally got them both profitable.

However, I've already lost a couple freighters... I know how to set up UTs so that they chuck drones and try to escape... but how do I set up a freighter with similar self defense capacity when it's just going to be doing the bidding of the station master?

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Mon, 13. Dec 10, 17:20

Use CAGs instead.

Jaysu

Post by Jaysu » Mon, 13. Dec 10, 17:33

Are CAGs terribly effective when stations are quite a ways apart? (for example my wheat is in herrons and power plant is at cloudbase se)
I've been looking at the bonus pack info, and the functional distinction between cag/logistic 1/logistic 2.

I'll look into cags tonight though , thanks for the heads up.

Jaysu

Post by Jaysu » Tue, 14. Dec 10, 00:55

Still curious about the questions I asked about CAGs and about getting a "pilotless" freighter (ie. not a UT) to defend itself with drones. I've looked at Apricot's software guide, and a few other resources about using software, but...

Musicker
x3tc

Post by Musicker » Tue, 14. Dec 10, 01:05

Simoom wrote:Are you playing X3R or X3TC?

I think in X3R the CAGs required nav sats to function, but in X3TC they don't. There's an option to toggle whether or not you want them to trade in sat-only sectors, but the default is off and they operate just fine with a satellite network.

btw you don't need to equip trade extensions on any ship other than your own.... all the trade extension does is allowing you to see the prices outside of your sector and buy/sale remotely. As long as you have a ship or satellite in the said sector, you can see the ware prices in that sector, and buy/sale remotely.

This is not altogether true, as I was painfully made aware of in an argument with someone last year that I completely embarrassed myself in. I thought the same thing, that the trading extension only allowed you to control trading in your other ships in the universe, but it does enable one other function if it is installed on your other ships - the Manual Trade Run function.

Just fyi - so you don't run into the same embarrassing argument I ended up in..

CHeers!
i9-12900K 8P/16 + 8E 3.20GHz
2TB Seagate® FireCuda® 530 Heatsink (PCIe Gen4) NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 7300/6900 MB/s
64GB (32GBx2) DDR5/5600MHz Dual Channel Memory
GeForce RTX™ 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6X

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”