Aldrin Help -- one simple question

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Khift

Aldrin Help -- one simple question

Post by Khift » Mon, 20. Dec 10, 02:19

I just got access to Aldrin, completing the Terran plotline for my first time, and after doing some taxi missions in Terran space to have the rep to buy the higher end Terran weapons I jumped to Aldrin and bought myself a Springblossom.

Trouble is, I can't figure out how to get it out of Aldrin. According to this post I've found most of these stations, only missing two energy stations and one of the tech stations. None of these stations are offering jumpdrives for sale. As far as I know you can't dock an M6 in another ship and ferry it out, and if it is possible to bring a jumpdrive to it I can't figure out what key to press to do it.

How does one get a Springblossom out of Aldrin?

Also, please, if at all possible no spoilers. Trying to keep as much unspoiled as possible. I'm enjoying this game waaaayy too much to ruin it.

Edit: Actually, while I'm asking easy questions, where in the bloody hell can you buy tractor beams and repair lasers? I would love to have both, but according to my in game encyclopedia I haven't even seen either item. I'm looking to build a complex with three silicon mines soon, necessitating a tractor beam to pull them together I understand, and in the Terran plot the marines that capped the Vidar absolutely TRASHED the thing, drawing it down to 25% hull and sticking me with a 6 million credit repair bill I would love to shirk.
Last edited by Khift on Mon, 20. Dec 10, 02:29, edited 1 time in total.

vr01
x4

Post by vr01 » Mon, 20. Dec 10, 02:24

Jump drives are not available in Aldrin.

Best way is to jump in a TM that has a couple of M4's or M5's aboard that can hold jump drives and freight exchange with your Springblossom.
Spoiler
Show
Aldrin joins the gate network once you complete the Aldrin plot. (Still doesn't have jump drives for sale though...)

Khift

Post by Khift » Mon, 20. Dec 10, 02:30

vr01 wrote:Jump drives are not available in Aldrin.

Best way is to jump in a TM that has a couple of M4's or M5's aboard that can hold jump drives and freight exchange with your Springblossom.
Eh? How can you hold jump drives? As in, in your cargo hold?

Kryten
x4

Post by Kryten » Mon, 20. Dec 10, 02:31

You must've had a jumpdrive to get to aldrin, just transfer it to the springy.
X2 Vet
X3 Recruit
[ external image ]
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Khift

Post by Khift » Mon, 20. Dec 10, 02:37

...so you can EJECT your upgrades. Hell, you can eject software. That doesn't make a lick of sense at all, but explains how this is done. Here I've been thinking upgrades were a physical part of that ship once bought. I think after I get the Springblossom out of there I'm going to go reclaim the Trade MK3's I've got on the CAGs I repurposed from UTs when I built my factory complex...

Thanks for the help, guys. That was the logical leap I didn't make.

vr01
x4

Post by vr01 » Mon, 20. Dec 10, 02:40

A Transporter Device allows you to freight exchange between ships as long as they are within 5km of each other. Saves ejecting. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Khift

Post by Khift » Mon, 20. Dec 10, 02:45

vr01 wrote:A Transporter Device allows you to freight exchange between ships as long as they are within 5km of each other. Saves ejecting. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
I did not know about that, I thought the transporter device was just for transporting people. It would appear I skimmed it a bit too fast!

Can you use a transporter device to have a TL trade with a station? Do both ships need a device, or just the one sending the goods?

vr01
x4

Post by vr01 » Mon, 20. Dec 10, 02:53

Khift wrote:Can you use a transporter device to have a TL trade with a station?
The simple answer is no. The complicated answer is that there are other methods (freight drones, homebased falcon haulers, CLS mk2) you can use to enable a TL to trade goods with a station. Some of those methods will make use of the transporter device, so it is a must have item for a TL.
Khift wrote:Do both ships need a device, or just the one sending the goods?
As long as one of the ships has the transporter device, you will be able to use the freight exchange command between the two ships.

Whisperer
x3tc

Post by Whisperer » Mon, 20. Dec 10, 03:26

as a side note to the previouse post, if you want to buy stations, you have no other choice but to dock since no other ship can carry these. Also once a station is loaded in a TL, there is no way to transfere it to an other TL. It will be stuck in your cargobay untill you build the station.

Khift

Post by Khift » Mon, 20. Dec 10, 03:29

vr01 wrote:
Khift wrote:Can you use a transporter device to have a TL trade with a station?
The simple answer is no. The complicated answer is that there are other methods (freight drones, homebased falcon haulers, CLS mk2) you can use to enable a TL to trade goods with a station. Some of those methods will make use of the transporter device, so it is a must have item for a TL.
Gotcha. I've been considering buying a TL, but I don't want to spend the money on it until I know what to do with it when not placing stations. I've considered buying an Elephant and using it as a carrier / mobile base for a squadron of Solanos, but I'm not very sold on that. You say the CLS mk2 can use a TL properly? I'll have to look into that. Might be worth it.

Whisperer
x3tc

Post by Whisperer » Mon, 20. Dec 10, 03:48

carrier TL? Hmmm, i'd say only do this when you are facing less than 10 fighters. Basicly the fighters on a TL are there to serve as a distraction. Throw them at the enemy while you bail your capital ship out of there. Also the cargobay is not that wonderfull plus the shielding is also somewhat comming short compared to say a Mammoth.

Having said that, the elephant will do great in carrieng jumpdrives to aldrin.instaall JD's on the fighters it's got docked and you've got your selve a whole bunch of JD's there! ;)

CuriosityKillsTheMADCat
x4

Post by CuriosityKillsTheMADCat » Mon, 20. Dec 10, 03:51

" Also once a station is loaded in a TL, there is no way to transfere it to an other TL. It will be stuck in your cargobay untill you build the station."

Someone wrote sometime ago that it is possible to unload a station from your TL into an equipment dock of yours. Don't know if that's true, but it would be nice if one could do that.

MFG

CKTMC
Fähiger Pilot wie DU sein...
"When ships to sail the void between the stars have been invented, there will also be men who come forward to sail those ships."
Johannes Kepler, Somnium, 1634 A.D.

Khift

Post by Khift » Mon, 20. Dec 10, 04:09

Whisperer wrote:carrier TL? Hmmm, i'd say only do this when you are facing less than 10 fighters. Basicly the fighters on a TL are there to serve as a distraction. Throw them at the enemy while you bail your capital ship out of there. Also the cargobay is not that wonderfull plus the shielding is also somewhat comming short compared to say a Mammoth.

Having said that, the elephant will do great in carrieng jumpdrives to aldrin.instaall JD's on the fighters it's got docked and you've got your selve a whole bunch of JD's there! ;)
Yeah, I don't really know what to do with a TL; that was about the best I could come up with. AFAIK they can't become Sector / Universe Traders (no ability to trade goods with stations), and I don't want it to sit around uselessly when not using it to drop stations.

Just read a bit on CLS mk2 with regards to TLs, and well it seems useful if you want it to act as a mobile resupply base for a fleet, using CLS2's to buy missiles and guns from NPC factories and dropping them off at a TL that follows your fleet, but that still seems a bit weak.

What do people usually use TLs for? Other than dropping stations, of course.

Also, does anyone know where to buy a tractor beam or a repair laser?

Whisperer
x3tc

Post by Whisperer » Mon, 20. Dec 10, 04:13

realy? Never saw a post like this before but i'll hafe to check this out. If this is correct i'll need to ajust one of my guides pages.... :s

vr01
x4

Post by vr01 » Mon, 20. Dec 10, 04:27

Khift wrote:Just read a bit on CLS mk2 with regards to TLs, and well it seems useful if you want it to act as a mobile resupply base for a fleet, using CLS2's to buy missiles and guns from NPC factories and dropping them off at a TL that follows your fleet, but that still seems a bit weak.
It's actually a lot more powerful than you think. You can also set a hotkey so that the ship will respond when you want it to.
Khift wrote:What do people usually use TLs for? Other than dropping stations, of course.
Mobile storage, fixed storage, fleet tender. Otherwise they are just docked at different shipyards around the universe for quick response whenever I feel like doing a build mission or build another complex. (I currently have about 20 TL's. Only the first one was bought, the remainder have been "acquired"...)
Khift wrote:Also, does anyone know where to buy a tractor beam or a repair laser?
Tractor beams are available in Third Redemption. If the factories are gone, then you will have to buy a tractor beam factory from the shipyard there.

Repair laser is on your spacesuit... they are not available for sale. Don't go asking about the gun slot for repair laser as the subject has been done to death :)

jwigeland
x3tc

Post by jwigeland » Mon, 20. Dec 10, 05:21

vr01 wrote:Repair laser is on your spacesuit... they are not available for sale. Don't go asking about the gun slot for repair laser as the subject has been done to death :)
And the answer is that the Mining Laser, Repair Laser, and Tractor Beam are all counted as the same type of gun inside the game's code, so if the ship can mount one it can mount all three (even though the repair laser cannot be bought anywhere in the game and some ships don't have enough laser energy to fire a tractor beam).

Khift

Post by Khift » Sun, 26. Dec 10, 15:14

I hate to bump a dead thread, but I just arrived upon another simple question and didn't believe it was worth creating an entirely new thread for:

Can you have more than one race per complex?

I'm in the middle of constructing a large one-stop-missile-shop complex and it suddenly dawned upon me that I didn't know if I even could add Argon, etc. factories to a Paranid complex. Obviously I'd need to feed them which I've accounted for in the plans -- two Firestorm Torpedo factories along with one Cattle Ranch M and one Cahoona Bakery M should cover that -- I'm just wondering if there's anything preventing the two from linking up before dropping the 30 million on the two Firestorm factories.

Thanks for the help so far =).

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 26. Dec 10, 21:44

There's no restriction whatsoever on what race's stations you can include in a complex.

Khift

Post by Khift » Sun, 26. Dec 10, 23:08

Most excellent, that is a great deal of help =). It would be kind of silly, but I could see the logic in it.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”