collision detection... EPIC FAIL!

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

dlong41123
x3tc

collision detection... EPIC FAIL!

Post by dlong41123 » Sun, 26. Dec 10, 02:42

programming is tough... i get it. still with glitches like these i can still enjoy this game. though i am a little sadden, when this happens.

The spring blossom, I love this ship to death. there is next to nothing in the game i cant take down with it and its fast, it has great cargo... but i like to think when it does blow up when i am not in it, no one is on board... why? well because 100% of the time when i have lost a spring blossom its because it crashed into something....

i know what you are thinking, oh he musta have used seta, seta is notorious for making the game do some really retarded things, such as player ships freezing on the spot out of sector. or better yet player autopilot in seta is death waiting to happen when there are roids around....

but alas there is no seta involved here, i had a tractor beam i needed delivered to me while i was in my agamemnon, the springblossom had it and was kind enough to bring it to me, and i asked it to politely go away...

by go away i didnt mean for it to fly directly in my face!!! seriously it i wanted 17% damage to my shields and a good 13million credits defecit in my wallet i would... i dont know do something else. this has happend to me before similar situation, one time i had a ship out in aldrin, i needed to get to it, i used a spring to get to the ship, and told the spring to go dock and pick up some mats at a aldrin station... instead the ship commits suicide.

Iono i suppose my love for the ship induced post traumatic stress on its onboard cpu, and after the 100000s of kills it just couldnt handle it anymore.

seriously though this bug seems to be restricted to this ship, anyone else notice it? or notice it on another ship, i use the springgy alot and its not often im in another ship or have the same situation.

Really im trying to make the Odin my new personal ship with a spitfyre for when i wanna go fast. but you know the springy to me is like a first love, i just can give it up...
Last edited by dlong41123 on Sun, 26. Dec 10, 02:54, edited 1 time in total.

NUKLEAR-SLUG
x3tc

Post by NUKLEAR-SLUG » Sun, 26. Dec 10, 12:36

That would be because it has the speed of an F1 car and the maneuverabilty of a dead whale.

These are not compatible attributes.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sun, 26. Dec 10, 16:57

sounds like the collision detection is working just fine to me

if it wasn't working, then u wouldn't crash and fly straight through things

vlasticz
x4

Post by vlasticz » Sun, 26. Dec 10, 17:43

NUKLEAR-SLUG wrote:That would be because it has the speed of an F1 car and the maneuverabilty of a dead whale.
I've not read it through but this answer explains it all ... :lol:

Seleucius
x3tc

Post by Seleucius » Sun, 26. Dec 10, 17:49

This happens with just about any ship that's too fast for its turn speed. Or any ship that gets cut off by some M5 while trying to dock. Or any ship that's approaching/exiting a gate and 'doesn't see' the gaping maw of a Phoenix right off its nose. We've pinned it down to being a problem with Otto The Auto-Pilot; he's been in therapy for years, but his suicidal tendencies remain an incurable malady.

Jeraal
x4

Post by Jeraal » Sun, 26. Dec 10, 18:08

Personally, I think some of that corrupted terraformer code has made its way into all the races computer systems. Occasionally, a ship computer will start to become aware and malfunction like the CPU ship.
Brute force and ignorance solves all problems, just not very efficiently.

If brute force isn't working, then you aren't using enough.

e1team
x3tc

Post by e1team » Sun, 26. Dec 10, 18:16

Cycrow wrote:sounds like the collision detection is working just fine to me

if it wasn't working, then u wouldn't crash and fly straight through things
:lol: nuf said! :D
"I feel like that's not the way fantasy space travel works in the real fantasy universe."
[ external image ][ external image ][ external image ]
Freya Nocturne's Sigantures

BDK
x3ap

Post by BDK » Sun, 26. Dec 10, 21:25

Short range weapons and stationary targets (such as factories) don't mix at all in the hands of the ai.

Omini
x4

Post by Omini » Mon, 27. Dec 10, 01:27

Personally I know exactly where you're coming from, as this extract clearly shows:

[ external image ]

And no, while it was traveling (to get more energy cells), I was in a dogfight with Kha'ak, so no Seta was used...
amtct wrote:Don't quote this
I should be a journalist.

Tutorial On Selecting Single Mod Package

Cayo124
x3tc

Post by Cayo124 » Mon, 27. Dec 10, 21:37

Yeah, one has to be careful around those gates... you never know when they will want to attack you :P

Pirate hater
x2

Post by Pirate hater » Mon, 27. Dec 10, 22:01

Omini wrote:Personally I know exactly where you're coming from, as this extract clearly shows:

[ external image ]

And no, while it was traveling (to get more energy cells), I was in a dogfight with Kha'ak, so no Seta was used...
most likely it hit a ship and bounced into the side of the gate...

It happens.

Omini
x4

Post by Omini » Mon, 27. Dec 10, 22:05

Luckily for me I found the irony funny though. With what I called it and all...
amtct wrote:Don't quote this
I should be a journalist.

Tutorial On Selecting Single Mod Package

Insatiable
x4

Post by Insatiable » Wed, 29. Dec 10, 10:12

I just jumped from Springblossom to Hyperion V and told Springy to get some rocks. About a minute later, as I'm busting asteriods, I hear an explosion.

My thoughts: "Oh, I didn't realize the Collect Rocks command made them blow up asteriods too. Cool!" .1 seconds later: "Wait a minute, Springy doesn't have any Mining Lasers! How did he do that?" .2 seconds later: "Wait a second, why is Springy only showing blue?" .3 seconds later: "Crap." $5,500,000 credits later: Freshly painted and thoroughly chastened Springblossom.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”