Repair Laser and The XTended Mod

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

kmkenpo

Repair Laser and The XTended Mod

Post by kmkenpo » Tue, 28. Dec 10, 18:18

Guys, this may sound trivial, but I am at my wits end here. The XTended team have put together a REALLY great mod, but are unwilling to put back in the Repair Laser.

I have no modding skills, so, could someone please put a small mod together that activates the Repair Laser with this mod.

I absolutely do not care how "unbalanced" it makes the game... I am NOT out to conquer the universe or even a small sector. As great as the team is that put it together, it is FRUSTRATING to ask for this small request, then get read the riot act about how it messes up the game, or how cheap it is to go to a repair dock. When I spend 20 minutes trying to get a pilot to bail, finally succeed, take his craft, then spend 1 hour limping it into a space dock, COME ON already.

So please, can someone put a mod together that re-activates the repair laser... and please save the attitudes of it messing up the intent of the XTended team.

Thank you for listening to my rant and allowing me to vent.

-kmkenpo

kmkenpo

Post by kmkenpo » Tue, 28. Dec 10, 21:21

So I am guessing that this is not possible? Odd. Some guy put together a mod the other day that allows you to make toast while you fly, but this is too difficult? Just kidding about the toast thing. Sorry, still frustrated.

-kmkenpo

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Tue, 28. Dec 10, 22:24

It is not hard to do, it simply requires a modified Wares.txt file... simples! ;)

In my forthcoming XWRM mod (an XTC edition of my AWRM mod), I am considering introducing ship mountable Repair lasers that use teladianium, Ore, or E/Cells as ammo (as a balancing factor - probably Ore giving those mining ships a secondary use as repair ships). Alternatively, I am considering a Marine Repairs type script that feels a little more balanced than the existing Marine Repairs script and may introduce other balancing factors. In all likelyhood, I will probably implement both.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

vukica
x4

Post by vukica » Tue, 28. Dec 10, 22:54

Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:It is not hard to do, it simply requires a modified Wares.txt file... simples! ;)

In my forthcoming XWRM mod (an XTC edition of my AWRM mod), I am considering introducing ship mountable Repair lasers that use teladianium, Ore, or E/Cells as ammo (as a balancing factor - probably Ore giving those mining ships a secondary use as repair ships). Alternatively, I am considering a Marine Repairs type script that feels a little more balanced than the existing Marine Repairs script and may introduce other balancing factors. In all likelyhood, I will probably implement both.
fixing ships with teladianium wouldn't be such a bad idea... they are built from teladianium aren't they?
Split say NEED MORE FIREPOWER!!

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Tue, 28. Dec 10, 22:55

kmkenpo wrote:So I am guessing that this is not possible? Odd.
Patience, young padawan.

You just requested the mod three hours ago. Although it seems sometimes that scripts and mods just pop up immediately, mostly it needs some time to create them and people do that in their spare time.
Apart from that no one started with perfect modding and scripting skills. So a big wish for something is often a good impulse to learn scripting / modding.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Troubleshooter11
x4

Post by Troubleshooter11 » Tue, 28. Dec 10, 23:23

as said by others, be patient.

Ill see what i can do for you tonight, shouldnt be a big problem.

Khift

Post by Khift » Tue, 28. Dec 10, 23:44

I doubt this is the proper place to ask, but what exactly is the problem with the repair laser? I don't see it overpowered at all. Yes, you can fix up ships with it and generate money. But it takes time. A lot of time. In my experience, in the time it could take to fix a 2 million credit ding in an m3 I could instead run several taxi missions, earning my far more than 2 million credits.

Really and truly in terms of money saved per time spent the repair laser is only worth it at the very beginning of the game. And that, to me, doesn't seem overpowered in any way shape or form.

costi
x3tc

Post by costi » Tue, 28. Dec 10, 23:57

The problem is, the spacesuit in XTC has an IRE mounted instead of the Repair Laser ;)
Friendly fire is not so friendly.

Khift

Post by Khift » Wed, 29. Dec 10, 00:05

costi wrote:The problem is, the spacesuit in XTC has an IRE mounted instead of the Repair Laser ;)
Ah.

Do... do ejected pilots shoot at you with their spacesuit IREs? Because if so... that would be quite something.

kmkenpo

Post by kmkenpo » Wed, 29. Dec 10, 00:23

Thank you guys... err... I guess "guys" is correct. None the less, thank you for all of the information and assistance with this. I do apologize for my ranting about it, as well as letting my frustrations get the better part of me. I am going to blame it on the cold that I have at the moment.

-kmkenpo

reiks
x4

Post by reiks » Wed, 29. Dec 10, 00:37

Khift wrote:
costi wrote:The problem is, the spacesuit in XTC has an IRE mounted instead of the Repair Laser ;)
Ah.

Do... do ejected pilots shoot at you with their spacesuit IREs? Because if so... that would be quite something.
I don't know bout ejected NPC pilots but dont expect ME to fight in my spacesuit anytime soon! I just dont see myself shooting at anything in my PJ's :lol:

Mike.Galaxy
x4

Post by Mike.Galaxy » Wed, 29. Dec 10, 01:07

Just "fixed" the Repair Laser for my personal game on sunday.
Works fine for me. :)
Just feel free to download it here --->

http://www.filefront.com/17716016/ReLaXTC_0.99RC.zip

INFO / Readme
------------------------------------------------------------------------

XTC ModMod: Repair Laser for X3TC XTC
Version: ReLaXTC-0.99RC

by Mike Galaxy

purpose: reinstall Repair Laser to spacesuit

modifies:
TLaser
WareList
Tships

TLaser:
ID 36 SS_LASER_REPAIR: subtype switched back from SG_LASER_PAC to SG_LASER_SPECIAL to X3 TC Vanilla Standard
(necessary for functionality of repair fire)

WareList:
added ID 123: 2;SS_LASER_REPAIR;SS_LASER_IRE; / 123
(defines build-in components for spacesuit)

Tships:

ID 268 /Neutral Race: SS_SH_ASTRON (Spacesuit):
Compatible guns: SG_LASER_SPECIAL added
Wares: changed from Ware list ID 117 to 123
(adds build-in components for spacesuit)

Installation:
a) put ReLaXTC.cat/dat in /mods to use as Mod
or
b) rename ReLaXTC.cat/dat as highest number in XTC root (e.g. 16.cat/dat
or
c) copy the (unpacked) types folder to your XTC root

This ModMod for XTC is savegame compatible and can be removed without problems

Enjoy :)
Mike Galaxy

P.S.: SPECIAL THANKS to the MOD-TEAM of XTC for such a great X-Tension of the X-Universe :)
"Space is big, really BIG!"
"Jetzt zeige ich Ihnen wie ein Borone kämpft... hier ist mein Schiff."
"Der zweite Stern von rechts, bis zum Morgengrauen"*
* "Kirk am Ende von ST VI - Das unentdeckte Land"

kmkenpo

Post by kmkenpo » Wed, 29. Dec 10, 01:38

SUH-WEET !!! Thank you for the work.

-kmkenpo

kmkenpo

Post by kmkenpo » Wed, 29. Dec 10, 03:20

Mike.Galaxy, your mod is just WONDERFUL. Does just what you said it does, and seems to have no issues. Now, granted, I am at the very start of the game... but so far, there are no hitches. Thank you for doing this work.

-kmkenpo

Mike.Galaxy
x4

Post by Mike.Galaxy » Wed, 29. Dec 10, 06:49

kmkenpo wrote:Mike.Galaxy, your mod is just WONDERFUL. Does just what you said it does, and seems to have no issues. Now, granted, I am at the very start of the game... but so far, there are no hitches. Thank you for doing this work.

-kmkenpo
You are Welcome, kmkenpo :)
I understand, it was a design decision of the XTC Mod Team to let the repair laser "disapear", but imho it's more than a nice feature in the early game (with always low on credits and resources just like in real life ;) to be able to repair your ship(s).

Using some ammunition like teladianum would be cool (and more "realistic" than just repair your ship with a laser out of thin air, even without air in space :P - but as your personal space suit spawns new every time you leave a ship, there's no technical benefit of using ammo.

I'm not such a great modder like others here around - and it had cost me some time this sunday afternoon just to figure out, which files are affected to reintroduce the normal repair laser

But all in all it was quite easy, if you use Doubleshadows wonderful X3 Editor (2). So a little "fix" like this is just the first step into the world of modding the XU.

I haven't changed any other weapon nore have I added a new one, so I hope all other weapons work as intended by the XTC mod.

Nevertheless, if anyone finds some problems using my little adaption, please feel free to tell me.

As teladis would say:
May be profitss alwayss with you :)
"Space is big, really BIG!"
"Jetzt zeige ich Ihnen wie ein Borone kämpft... hier ist mein Schiff."
"Der zweite Stern von rechts, bis zum Morgengrauen"*
* "Kirk am Ende von ST VI - Das unentdeckte Land"

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Wed, 29. Dec 10, 10:38

Mike.Galaxy,

Have you started your own [Mod] thread for this ?

If not, do so, giving a short description of the problem, then what you did as per your post above, then add the mod to the download sticky thread via the submissions thread (Read the OP for the procedure).

It doesnt matter that its a mod for a mod, but its worth putting out there properly for anyone else who comes along with the same issue, and especially when we can just say, read the download list ! :D

Its entirely possible that there will be quite a lot of minor changes to XTC, so the download sticky may need to make an adjustment to cater for them. If so and your submission causes a debate, thats a good thing and I'll add my vote to say it should be so. 8)

Edit : Btw, XTC crew, bad decision. :D

reiks
x4

Post by reiks » Wed, 29. Dec 10, 10:47

if apricot says its a bad decision then it IS a bad decision :D

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Wed, 29. Dec 10, 10:52

reiks wrote:if apricot says its a bad decision then it IS a bad decision :D
:rofl: :lol:

I guess the decision made sense to them, but I'd have just added the gun and left the repair laser, and let the player choose what to put in glove. Maybe they couldnt figure out how. :gruebel:

Sartorie
x3tc

Post by Sartorie » Wed, 29. Dec 10, 11:34

if you don't like it, change it ^^ thats why there is a XTC mod in the first place :lol:

qwizzie
x4

Post by qwizzie » Wed, 29. Dec 10, 12:53

to Mike.Galaxy : nice work, will certainly download this one as i was trying to get the repairlaser back for two days now myself and getting a headache of it..

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”