X3TC - EVA Repair Laser?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

MedievalNerd
x3tc

X3TC - EVA Repair Laser?

Post by MedievalNerd » Wed, 29. Dec 10, 01:16

Hello there,

I remember using my repair tool in EVA, but I just purchased a bargain ship that came with a broken hull. And to my surprise, when I went EVA. I couldn't seem to be able to fire my repair laser anymore.

I equipped a weapon and it that worked, but I can't get the laser working anymore.

What am I missing here?

Thanks,
Medieval Nerd

Vim Razz
x4

Post by Vim Razz » Wed, 29. Dec 10, 01:26

Check that your suit is set to weapon group 1, or else add your repair laser to whatever group number you feel like cruising around with.

MedievalNerd
x3tc

Post by MedievalNerd » Wed, 29. Dec 10, 01:37

That's the problem, I don't see my repair laser. Could have sold/throw away it by mistake?

From what I read in the wiki, you can't buy one.

When I set it to group 1, I don't have anything selected.

Omini
x4

Post by Omini » Wed, 29. Dec 10, 01:44

It's in your space suit when you eject.
amtct wrote:Don't quote this
I should be a journalist.

Tutorial On Selecting Single Mod Package

MedievalNerd
x3tc

Post by MedievalNerd » Wed, 29. Dec 10, 01:48

When I eject my ship, and i'm in my spacesuit. I don't see the repair laser. Is it supposed to be an icon in one of the weapon groups?

I remember clearly using it earlier in this game, no idea what happened to it.

This is bizarre!

Omini
x4

Post by Omini » Wed, 29. Dec 10, 02:02

You can't eject it. You can't access your "Freight" (or cargo hold) when you're in your spacesuit.

When you're in your space suit press "1" (the number), see if that helps.

Edit:
Or if there is no Spanner image down there and is just a grey box, left click the box and go to "Install Laser" and choose the repair laser (it'll be the only choice you're given)
amtct wrote:Don't quote this
I should be a journalist.

Tutorial On Selecting Single Mod Package

Seleucius
x3tc

Post by Seleucius » Wed, 29. Dec 10, 03:08

Are you, by chance, using the XTended mod?

MedievalNerd
x3tc

Post by MedievalNerd » Wed, 29. Dec 10, 03:19

Yes?

Is that a problem?

Seathal
x4

Post by Seathal » Wed, 29. Dec 10, 03:28

MedievalNerd wrote:Yes?

Is that a problem?
No more space-suit repair laser then. You either go to a shipyard and pay a big bill or hire the Teladi Repairmen through the News System. That's if you don't have a shipyard of your own, of course.

em3e3
x3tc

Post by em3e3 » Wed, 29. Dec 10, 03:32

Seleucius wrote:Are you, by chance, using the XTended mod?
MedievalNerd wrote:Yes?

Is that a problem?
Ah, the forums were so simple before X:TC was released. From here on out, half the posts are going to be related to that infernal mod.
8^)

Online Complex Calculators - X3:TC • X3:R • X2
Online Ship Compurator - X3:TC

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Wed, 29. Dec 10, 04:27

Wait, X:TC is out? Why can't I find it? :(

P.S.- sorry for the hijack :-p

Seathal
x4

Post by Seathal » Wed, 29. Dec 10, 13:57

Kirlack wrote:Wait, X:TC is out? Why can't I find it? :(

Terran Conflict script and mods forum. It should be amongst the first posts. Highly recommended too.

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Wed, 29. Dec 10, 14:20

Kirlack wrote:Wait, X:TC is out? Why can't I find it? :(

A must if you want a good mod, best read the manual first though as there's a lot of new content. :wink:

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Wed, 29. Dec 10, 14:24

Indeed, just read the release notes :D Think I'll wait for V2.0, give them a chance to work out any bugs, plus I'm happy playing my vanilla game at the minute. However, should I get bored any time in the next few months.... :D

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Wed, 29. Dec 10, 17:55

Kirlack wrote:Indeed, just read the release notes :D Think I'll wait for V2.0, give them a chance to work out any bugs, plus I'm happy playing my vanilla game at the minute. However, should I get bored any time in the next few months.... :D
That may be an idea, but they reckon about another 6 months before version 2.0 released. If you are not using steam version you could do a second install just to use with mods, that's what I do anyways. :)

Seleucius
x3tc

Post by Seleucius » Wed, 29. Dec 10, 19:27

SIMON POPPLEWELL wrote:*snip* If you are not using steam version you could do a second install just to use with mods *snip*
OKAY. Didn't know this was a known issue. I spent a good hour or so last night lamenting my decision to buy the Superbox through Steam before I figured this out.

Step 1: Copy entire TC folder, as normal. Leave it in the PathTo/steam/steamapps/common/ folder with your vanilla install.
Step 2: Rename it to something like "TC-Modded" that you can easily distinguish.

You currently have a modded and unmodded install. Nothing special. Only when you install all your scripts and such, X3TC.exe tells steam that it's okay to start the game now, and steam promptly loads up THE WRONG DAMN EXECUTABLE. See, Steam doesn't care where you told X3TC.exe to start, it just goes off and finds the path to its only known valid copy. So, to be able to play your *modified* game:

Step 3: Rename your vanilla folder to something memorable, like "TC-Vanilla."
Step 4: Rename your modded folder to "X3 Terran Conflict" and cross your fingers.
Step 5: Start the game, either via steam or simple double-clicking. This should be *modified*. To go back to vanilla:

Step 3a: You should have two folders, one that just says "X3 Terran Conflict" and the other with something letting you know it's vanilla. Rename the modded folder so that it reflects that it's modded.
Step 4a: Rename the vanilla folder to "X3 Terran Conflict," as before. I think you get the idea.

YMMV, worked for me, and was the only way I could get steam to recognize my two active installs.

@em3e3: So true, so true.

Ozkar
x3tc

Post by Ozkar » Wed, 29. Dec 10, 19:44

This is a bit of a hack, but, couldn't you zip the .exe of the version that you don't want to play, or does steam go by location?

Downloaded XTC, but I am so close to finishing the hub plot that I want to do that first, might have to do a separate install as well.
Give me a mamba or give me death!

Seleucius
x3tc

Post by Seleucius » Wed, 29. Dec 10, 21:43

Ozkar wrote:This is a bit of a hack, but, couldn't you zip the .exe of the version that you don't want to play, or does steam go by location?
The .exe's are the same, bit-for-bit, and yes, steam goes by location. So, examples of why this is the only way I got it to work:

A) Click on X3TC.exe in separate install in arbitrary location. X3TC.exe tells steam that it wants to load, steam OK's it and loads the X3TC.exe it knows about in /steamapps/common. Vanilla.
B) Uninstall/rename/move/etc. X3TC from /steamapps/common. Steam is under the impression that there is no X3TC on this machine, and frowns when you try to load your modded install.
C) Move/rename vanilla install and replace it with modded install as my above post. X3TC.exe tells steam it wants to load, steam OK's it and loads X3TC.exe from /steamapps/common/. Modded.
Caveat to C) Click on the X3TC.exe in your vanilla install after having renamed/moved it and replaced it with the modded install. Steam OK's it and loads the X3TC.exe in /steamapps/common/. Modded, NOT what you intended.

As an aside, is this a limitation of Steam or is there something less hacky that would fix this?

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”