Problem With Sabre Electro-Magnetic Plasma Cannon

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

jetforcef22
x3tc

Problem With Sabre Electro-Magnetic Plasma Cannon

Post by jetforcef22 » Wed, 29. Dec 10, 05:59

(First off I posted this in the tech support, not sure where to post it but got no answers there so I thought I would move it here)

Hello, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this thread and if not please direct me to the right forum.

I am very new to the X-series (Bought the game on sale on steam) and I seem to be having a issue with the Electro-Magnetic Plasma Cannon on the Sabre. (I am doing the Terran Defender storyline) Before, my plasma cannon would shoot in 'Bursts' and would use up energy as I was firing. Now it seems to be stuck in Single Shot mode and therefore it is almost impossible to shoot down any enemies. I don't know what happened, I have not bought any additional weapons for the vehicle seeing that I am still restricted to do so, and would like to figure out how to resolve this issue.

(I have tried getting out and repairing the ship but other then that I am lost for an explanation.)

Thanks in advanced.

BDK
x3ap

Post by BDK » Wed, 29. Dec 10, 07:35

Not really sure why it happens, but you'll see that behavior through the entire game. Sometimes lasers will be perfectly synced while other times they'll shoot individually so it looks like bursts. Maybe hit K and turn on auto aim so it's a little easier to hit stuff.

jetforcef22
x3tc

Post by jetforcef22 » Wed, 29. Dec 10, 08:01

Yes I have just recently gotten auto aim and it helps a lot. But the lasers are not firing at full capacity what so ever, they don't use up any energy whatsoever, since its just firing just single plasma bolts. Before you could see that the fire was irregular and in bursts and it would deplete energy, now its just a single shot and depletes no energy. Still haven't figured it out yet.

Also on another note... anything for missile defense? Or do they just destroy you with no chance, I feel like every time one is fired its instant game over.

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Wed, 29. Dec 10, 08:31

Rate of fire is supposed to be constant as long as you have sufficient weapon energy. It sounds like a problem with your hardware (mouse/keyboard/joystick).

You can shoot down missiles with your main guns. Just make sure you target them (if you're lucky you can just use Shift+T, otherwise you're going to have to locate the incoming missile visually). Later on you can acquire ships that have turrets which can shoot missiles down for you.

If you have the bonus pack installed then you can load Mosquito missiles onto your ship and set them to automatically intercept enemy missiles. But that's only available on Commonwealth ships, as Terrans don't use that particular missile type.
Last edited by A5PECT on Wed, 29. Dec 10, 08:56, edited 1 time in total.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Smacksim
x4

Post by Smacksim » Wed, 29. Dec 10, 08:33

I've seen that happen with the EMPCs too, but never flew one long enough to be annoyed with it. I'll be Gazz will know..

Missile defense is straightforward in ships with additional turrets. In the command menu for the ship there are individual turret control slots which can be set to 'missile defense', or 'missiles only' (mostly missile or only missiles). Typically small ships have either 1 aft or a combination of 1 aft and 1 forward turret for this purpose. The sabre is a bit too small though for this luxury.

Alternately, the bonus pack has the 'missile defense mosquito' script which allows counter-missiles to be automatically fired by most ships. It can be quite effective on ships which can handle mosquitos, which again, the sabre cannot.

So yes, some missiles will seem like auto-death in a Sabre and combat must be adjusted accordingly! You can manually shoot down any missile, though it takes some piloting skills for the faster ones.

jetforcef22
x3tc

Post by jetforcef22 » Wed, 29. Dec 10, 10:19

KloHunt3r wrote:Rate of fire is supposed to be constant as long as you have sufficient weapon energy. It sounds like a problem with your hardware (mouse/keyboard/joystick).
Yeah well I don't know what events transpired to suddenly change the firing characteristics, would it make sense that the problem is on both the right mouse button, left/right ctrl, AND my controller? That seems strange that the problem is on all my devices, any suggestions on that? (I am using Xpadder for my 360 controller)

BDK
x3ap

Post by BDK » Wed, 29. Dec 10, 22:51

Not to spoil anything but later in the plot you'll get a better fighter which has extra turrets. Simply hit Shift+C and find turret controls - There you can tailor it to whatever your want ie. missile defense. But until then, you have to shoot down missiles yourself ;)

wreckzors
x3tc

Post by wreckzors » Wed, 29. Dec 10, 23:07

could you have some how switched from firing all your lasers to only one or two instead? like.. assign one to group 2 on accident and never go back to group one or something... It is probably a dumb suggestion but who knows.

Maxila
x4

Re: Problem With Sabre Electro-Magnetic Plasma Cannon

Post by Maxila » Wed, 29. Dec 10, 23:08

jetforcef22 wrote:(First off I posted this in the tech support, not sure where to post it but got no answers there so I thought I would move it here)

Hello, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this thread and if not please direct me to the right forum.

I am very new to the X-series (Bought the game on sale on steam) and I seem to be having a issue with the Electro-Magnetic Plasma Cannon on the Sabre. (I am doing the Terran Defender storyline) Before, my plasma cannon would shoot in 'Bursts' and would use up energy as I was firing. Now it seems to be stuck in Single Shot mode and therefore it is almost impossible to shoot down any enemies. I don't know what happened, I have not bought any additional weapons for the vehicle seeing that I am still restricted to do so, and would like to figure out how to resolve this issue.

(I have tried getting out and repairing the ship but other then that I am lost for an explanation.)

Thanks in advanced.
I have a guess what may be happening as this has happened to me. You may have inadvertantly changed some weapons to different groups so when you fire you are now firing only one or two fo the weapons assigned to that group. You can look under advanced and the group weapon assignments are color coded.

Hope this helps.

jetforcef22
x3tc

Post by jetforcef22 » Thu, 30. Dec 10, 02:16

Hey Maxila, thanks for the tip. I checked the weapons group and no luck, I tried setting my plasma cannon to fire on all 4 groups in the 1st slot and no luck. I've tried changing slots and no luck either, I just have a single cannon (from start) and it was not firing like this previously. I'm still at a loss lol

crendesmus
x3tc

Post by crendesmus » Thu, 30. Dec 10, 03:59

you should have 2 cannons did you accidentally sell one cannon?

jetforcef22
x3tc

Post by jetforcef22 » Thu, 30. Dec 10, 21:08

crendesmus wrote:you should have 2 cannons did you accidentally sell one cannon?
I must have, though I don't ever recall suddenly receiving a surplus of 300,000 credits lol

Carl99
x3tc

Post by Carl99 » Thu, 30. Dec 10, 21:25

If you took any hull damage at any point you could have had it destroyed. Unlikliy, but possibble.

Skinmeister

Post by Skinmeister » Thu, 30. Dec 10, 23:32

Last edited by Skinmeister on Sun, 13. Feb 11, 18:49, edited 2 times in total.

jetforcef22
x3tc

Post by jetforcef22 » Fri, 31. Dec 10, 02:07

Carl99 wrote:If you took any hull damage at any point you could have had it destroyed. Unlikliy, but possibble.
I think this is what happened. I accidentally hit the haul of a orbital defense station and heard the woman computer voice say "Damage" but no description on what was damaged... My gun very well could have been destroyed. At that point I was still not oriented with the game at all so that's most likely what the cause was, and I believe at of after this point (very early in the game) I noticed my gun was not firing as it used to.

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Fri, 31. Dec 10, 02:12

If you persist with the terran plot, you will aquire one or two ships along the way. Strip the guns off them, problem solved.
Split now give me death? Nah. Just give me your ship.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”