Repair or not repair?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

thyco
x4

Repair or not repair?

Post by thyco » Mon, 3. Jan 11, 12:00

Just started a new game using the USC commander Start ( one from finishing the terran plot) and i happened to cap a Xenon N. Its only got a sliver of hull left and ive only got 20k in bank.

Is it better to repair a broken ship and then sell it, or is it better to just flog off a damaged ship instead of repairing it to full?

p.s. i used the search and extended search,but could not find anything related to this, not even in any of the guides

BDK
x3ap

Post by BDK » Mon, 3. Jan 11, 12:06

The better condition the ship is in the more it sells for. With ships that take a long time to repair I usually place something heavy on the ctrl key and go have some coffee or something. When I return it should be fully repaired, unless a random ship decided to ram me of course 8)

The amount of cash you have also have a say. Obviously if you are struggling its probably best to repair and then sell it.

I wish carriers had repair crews ..
Last edited by BDK on Mon, 3. Jan 11, 12:08, edited 1 time in total.

Rive
x3tc

Post by Rive » Mon, 3. Jan 11, 12:07

Early in the game it's worth to repair. Later on it's not worth to cap :wink:

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Mon, 3. Jan 11, 12:10

I think what he means is,

Is it better to repair it at a shipyard then sell it than just selling it outright.

That answer is no.

Use the repair laser. Eject, fire at ship, wedge down SETA key... read a book. :P
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

yimmasabi
x4

Post by yimmasabi » Mon, 3. Jan 11, 12:10

You can repair your ship by ejecting your self (Shif+E) then get close to your ship, and weld it. It is totally free.

I think you mean repairing by a Station with cost.

thyco
x4

Post by thyco » Mon, 3. Jan 11, 12:11

I just did the save/reload to check this out. Apprently if if the ship only has 4% hull left, its just not worth it to repair to 45%. I had 14.7k credits, and took all bar 1121 to get it to 45% and the value is only 9K..all in all a net loss of 3-4k

edit: Holy crap i did not that you can do that!

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Mon, 3. Jan 11, 12:16

:lol: Repair laser discovery is the second most revolutionary point in the game.

The first is SETA.

Actually, for me it happened the other way round. ><
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

AgamemnonArgon
x3tc

Post by AgamemnonArgon » Mon, 3. Jan 11, 13:00

Repair and keep the ship somewhere until a need arises for a second ship.
Argon Patriot and Battlemaster
Peace - Through Superior Firepower

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Mon, 3. Jan 11, 14:22

Unless you are short of credits ,i am with AgamemnonArgon on this.

If you are short of credits.repair with laser all ships.
sell all but TS ships.
Upgrade TS ships for auto trading.

thyco
x4

Post by thyco » Mon, 3. Jan 11, 14:45

Ya currently short on credits due to starting a new game as a terran commander .( no trade ship at the start plus no close Trade System MK3 + lack of ability to purchase cargo life support bay until you do a run for a pilot base sure does make it hard and slower on the income)

Sofar ive only done the first part of the terran plot just for mars access, being doing alot of passenger transports in my scimitar for terran rep

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Mon, 3. Jan 11, 15:04

Ya currently short on credits due to starting a new game as a terran commander .( no trade ship at the start plus no close Trade System MK3 + lack of ability to purchase cargo life support bay until you do a run for a pilot base sure does make it hard and slower on the income)
No trade ship but you can sell EMPCs for Baldric.
Many Terran stations stock CLSS.
PTNI HQ usually has Mk3 and is only 6 gates from H'sE.
______
______

wreckzors
x3tc

Post by wreckzors » Mon, 3. Jan 11, 17:18

Can you only SETA and user your repair laser at the same time if you eject your seta from your ship first and pick it up with your space suit? I am pretty sure you do.. and that you need to do that every time you want to speed repair a ship... I WISH MY SPACE SUIT WOULD JUST KEEP SETA DANG IT...

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Mon, 3. Jan 11, 17:31

Basically yeah... you can dock and buy SETA yourself in the suit too :P

As a note, search for Revolutionary Breakthrough in Ship Repair.
______
______

Smacksim
x4

Post by Smacksim » Mon, 3. Jan 11, 19:38

A Xenon N will repair very quickly with the repair laser. You'll find that as you move up ship classes that they take longer and longer. Chasing an M7 in a spacesuit to repair it on it's way to dock-and-sell is a fun mini-game :)

Freeholder
x4

Post by Freeholder » Tue, 4. Jan 11, 00:29

IMO mucking about equipping a spacesuit with SETA takes more time than you'd end up saving on repairs to M3's and smaller.

wreckzors
x3tc

Post by wreckzors » Tue, 4. Jan 11, 17:39

if it is just one m3 or below, unless it has a whole lot of damage and is already very close to an equipment dock, I will repair it normally... but most the time if I get one pilot to bail, I get 2 or 3 to bail around the same time. So what I do is I may send 3 or 4 captured ships to sit outside of an equipment dock and then seta repair all of them at one time instead of doing it seperatly for each ship as I aquire them. I then decide if I am going to sell them or use them for my own purposes.

Vim Razz
x4

Post by Vim Razz » Tue, 4. Jan 11, 19:09

Freeholder wrote:IMO mucking about equipping a spacesuit with SETA takes more time than you'd end up saving on repairs to M3's and smaller.
In the mid to late game yeah, I totaly agree.

As early in the game as the OP seems to be, though, buying up small ships around 60% hull, repair lasering, and reselling is an awesome little money maker when compared with doing missions or small trades for just a few thousand credits each.

Carl99
x3tc

Post by Carl99 » Tue, 4. Jan 11, 19:39

He was reffering to how long you save via SETA reapir over normal reopiar ;).

Vim Razz
x4

Post by Vim Razz » Tue, 4. Jan 11, 20:01

Ah, you're right. I didn't read carefully enough.

And it hadn't occured to me that someone might bother equipping SETA for repairing just a small fighter.

Carl99
x3tc

Post by Carl99 » Tue, 4. Jan 11, 20:02

Ah, you're right. I didn't read carefully enough.
I had to read it more than a few times before it made sense to me too. So no wories :).

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”