[Reunion] 8 Mass Drivers ... No Conscience

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Aye Capn
x3tc

[Reunion] 8 Mass Drivers ... No Conscience

Post by Aye Capn » Tue, 4. Jan 11, 01:15

So has anyone tried equipping squads of M3's with 8 mass drivers each and watched the ensuing blizzard of metal?

How good is such a setup? I can imagine either brilliant success as your M3's lay waste to everything they touch or horrible expenses racked up not just by ammo expenditures but collateral hull damage.

In an M4 with just 1 mass driver I was able to wreak havoc, but I was flying it. How does the AI do with mass drivers?

In a world where players routinely build complexes of hundreds of factories it seems like the mass driver's only drawback, the ammo problem, is easily solved. Unless there's something I'm missing, which is often the case ...

Vim Razz
x4

Post by Vim Razz » Tue, 4. Jan 11, 05:49

I've never played R, but I'll hazard to guess it's not ~too~ different from TC in this regard --

The AI in TC does really well with fast short ranged weapons like Mass Drivers when used against small, fighter-sized targets.

When attacking larger targets, it'll only shoot once or twice per attack run, then immediately veer of to avoid collision, and start another run -- doing almost no damage to the target and spending a the majority of it's time wallowing around under turret fire...

Personally, I like to use all-MD on fast M4's as light interceptors to knock out fighters, but use bigger weapons for bigger targets on M3's.

I haven't really used MD for anything OOS, so I have no idea how they perform there.

Aye Capn
x3tc

Post by Aye Capn » Tue, 4. Jan 11, 20:02

Hmm ... I could always run some experiments before I build that giant ammo complex ...

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”