X3TC 3.0 Tractor Beam confusion - works in Centaur but not Magnetar. Rant

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Japhus
x3

X3TC 3.0 Tractor Beam confusion - works in Centaur but not Magnetar. Rant

Post by Japhus » Tue, 8. Feb 11, 19:43

I'm venting here, sorry in advance. I now know how to make this work but sometimes the X Universe is SO frustrating...

So I decided to start buying a few stations and the first thing I did was setup a L Silicon Mine on a 70 roid in Asteroid Belt. I then put my tractor beam into the turret of my Magnetar and...nothing. No aiming beam when I am sitting in the turret whether I mash the mouse or not, CTRL, nothing. I can't get the darn thing on no matter what.

So on the hunch it's a range thingy I buy a Satellite Factory just to see what happens, same deal can't get it to power up.

I then buy a Centaur, might as well try a different ship I figure. Tractor beam goes straight into the main weapon bank. (I thought tractors had to go in turrets only) I can push the Sat Factory I just built no problem. Put the Tractor back in the Magnetar...no joy.

I'm guessing you need a certain level of weapon power to make the tractor work...and the Magnetar doesn't have it. So why does the in game encyclopedia list it as one of the compatible ships?

Do I have Mods? Yes, I have the 500km Comm mod, LV's Enhanced Jump Interface, and Cycrow's Salvage Insurance Contract, as well as his Salvage Claim Software installed. And a couple of Star Wars and Star Trek ships thrown in for eye candy, lol.
Win7 64bit , 3.2Ghz Intel, 4Gig ram, ATI X5850

Carlo the Curious
x4

Re: X3TC 3.0 Tractor Beam confusion - works in Centaur but not Magnetar. Rant

Post by Carlo the Curious » Tue, 8. Feb 11, 19:47

Japhus wrote:I'm guessing you need a certain level of weapon power to make the tractor work...and the Magnetar doesn't have it. So why does the in game encyclopedia list it as one of the compatible ships?
You need 1000 (and Magnetar is 850, iirc).

It's listed on some ships that can't actually fire it because the slot is shared with some other weapons, if I remember rightly.

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Tue, 8. Feb 11, 19:55

Shared with the MDS and the RL.
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

Japhus
x3

Post by Japhus » Tue, 8. Feb 11, 20:18

It's always the little details...I suspected it was weapon power.

My love / hate relationship with the X series continues...

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Tue, 8. Feb 11, 20:18

EmperorJon wrote:Shared with the MDS and the RL.
Not that the RL can be equipped to any ship in the game... :roll:

Venereus

Post by Venereus » Tue, 8. Feb 11, 20:24

Did you check the station was in range (2 Km)? That happened to me when I first tried the Tractor Beam, but then again I'm a noob so I might be missing something; or may be you're and I'm right. :P

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Tue, 8. Feb 11, 20:40

Yes it can Kirlack.
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Tue, 8. Feb 11, 20:44

if you could obtain one :)

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Tue, 8. Feb 11, 20:52

Exactly!
______
______

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Tue, 8. Feb 11, 21:59

Best (I.E. fastest) ship I've found to use as a tow boat is the Dragon. Unless of course you have
Spoiler
Show
Overtuned Hyperion Vanguard

Japhus
x3

Post by Japhus » Tue, 8. Feb 11, 22:16

One person asked if I had checked the range...I was within 350m of the Satellite Factory when I tried to lock on.

Oh well, it's a good excuse to buy an M6. I can't expect the TM to do "Everything" :)

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 9. Feb 11, 00:32

Infekted wrote:Best (I.E. fastest) ship I've found to use as a tow boat is the Dragon. Unless of course you have
Spoiler
Show
Any ship that can go at least 80 km/s (and can mount the TB) is the 'fastest'. That's the max towing speed of the tractor beam. :P
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Wed, 9. Feb 11, 11:02

Nanook wrote:
Infekted wrote:Best (I.E. fastest) ship I've found to use as a tow boat is the Dragon. Unless of course you have
Spoiler
Show
Any ship that can go at least 80 km/s (and can mount the TB) is the 'fastest'. That's the max towing speed of the tractor beam. :P
As i have discovered a lot recently, travel time between tows is a signicant contribution to overall build time. Also increased speed is also good for saving time whilst lining up your direction of travel.
I usually only tow mines, speed is good for getting around them. The centaur feels like its towing something permanently...

Starlight_Corporation
x4

Post by Starlight_Corporation » Wed, 9. Feb 11, 11:48

For a cheap towboat, check some of the Split Caiman freighters. Some of those can equip and fire a tractorbeam, and they have a good speed for freighters. Just look for those variants with 1000 or more laserenergy & check wich one can equip a TB.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”