Cannot locate Mobile Drilling laser - bug?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

toomutch
x3ap

Cannot locate Mobile Drilling laser - bug?

Post by toomutch » Wed, 9. Feb 11, 22:33

Hi Guys,
I have restarted X3TC since wiping my pc, and am currently unable to purchase a MDS cos I can't find one! I keep checking all of the equip docks in Teladi and Paranid sectors, but although they are listed on the price list no one ever has one. I've searched through the forums for likely sectors for a MDS factory, but I haven't come across one yet in my game, and don't have the credits to buy a fac from a shipyard.

I am beginning to think this might be a bug? as my stats say I have visited 374 sectors but I still haven't found one. If I check The encylcopedia in the game it doesn't list any factories where I could buy them, so I don't think I've ever passed a fac. Has any one come across this before, or I have a just been unlucky and not stumbled across them yet.

X3TC vanilla, patched to 3.0, started as USC commander.
Thanks all
Toomutch
System Spec: ZX Spectrum. Memory - 16K with 32K add on pack. Sound - Cheetah Speech box. Graphics - mums old telly

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Wed, 9. Feb 11, 22:44

Not had this problem before.

But you do not need an MDS to do the job. Some others may reccomend specific laser types for remote auto mining.other still would reccomend certain missiles ,if mining yourself.

ivak
x3tc

Post by ivak » Wed, 9. Feb 11, 23:07

Check in PTNI HQ. In all my games there's always been a MDS fab right in the middle of the sector.
Your ship Your Python was destroyed in sector Split Fire by Spacefly.

beckett_p
x3tc

Post by beckett_p » Wed, 9. Feb 11, 23:18

x3tc.ru shows 4 MDS factories at the start of the game: The Vault, PTNI Headquarters, Paranid Prime, and Cardinals Domain.

However in my game I couldn't find one either, I assume GOD removed them, so I built my own in Seizewell. A steady stream of NPCs is buying any that are produced giving a tidy profit.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Cannot locate Mobile Drilling laser - bug?

Post by Nanook » Thu, 10. Feb 11, 02:15

toomutch wrote:...
I am beginning to think this might be a bug? as my stats say I have visited 374 sectors...
Typo? There ain't 374 sectors in the game. :P
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

eldyranx3
xr

Post by eldyranx3 » Thu, 10. Feb 11, 06:07

Could be a faulty install, or previous mod conflicting. How many game days are you in? I suppose GoD could have removed them, the NPC's seem to always snatch them up like they are candy.

Spaceweed Adict
x3tc

Post by Spaceweed Adict » Thu, 10. Feb 11, 06:48

Yer the god engine can ge a bitch at times but if your looking fot a MDS theres always one here, Take a look. :wink:

[ external image ]
Don't think the god engine knows about this place :D

JAFA_NZ
x3tc

Post by JAFA_NZ » Thu, 10. Feb 11, 08:07

In the absence of MDS's, Hornet or Beluga Missiles can break Map Asteroids.

If you actually need an MDS & can't find anywhere to buy them, the Paranid sell MDS Factories.

toomutch
x3ap

Post by toomutch » Thu, 10. Feb 11, 09:56

Thanks for the advice guys, I've been in the Vault, PTNI HQ, Paranid Prime, and the other sectors mentioned as likely places to find one, but no luck. In fact Ive flown through, and mapped all the sectors apart from those south of Trinity Sanctum. Still need to visit the Teladi sectors around Ministry of Finance, and then the Boron sectors below them. Game stats definitely show 374 sectors visited, I presumed that was the number of unique sectors, but I guess it must also count revisits to previously found sectors.

Thought about buying a fully kitted out caiman miner, (or other-race miner) but each shipyard only has the "S" class which is not equipped with the MDS.

I am running vanilla, and patched to 3.0. If this is a dodgy install, will I be able to use my game saves if I uninstall and reinstall, or is the bug saved in my game saves?

Thanks,
toomutch
System Spec: ZX Spectrum. Memory - 16K with 32K add on pack. Sound - Cheetah Speech box. Graphics - mums old telly

Dogbite
x3ap

Post by Dogbite » Thu, 10. Feb 11, 13:50

I have a real good memory but it's real short

toomutch
x3ap

Post by toomutch » Thu, 10. Feb 11, 14:07

thanks, tried that - all sectors that it lists don't have mds in my game.

ObadiahtheSlim
x3tc

Post by ObadiahtheSlim » Thu, 10. Feb 11, 14:46

If you've been through all the sectors, does your in game encylopedia list any places? If not then you gotta build the forge yourself. Plus side you can sell the excess for profitsssss.

eldyranx3
xr

Post by eldyranx3 » Thu, 10. Feb 11, 16:11

Please read the entire thread before posting. The OP made it very clear that he has already visited the places that exist at the start of a new game, as well as checked the in game encyclopedia.

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Thu, 10. Feb 11, 16:54

MDS are a waste of credits anyway. They are not required for mining so why bother?

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 10. Feb 11, 18:40

toomutch wrote:...Game stats definitely show 374 sectors visited, I presumed that was the number of unique sectors, but I guess it must also count revisits to previously found sectors....
Sectors visited can never exceed the total number of sectors in a game, and for TC, that's well below 374. It does not count the same sector twice, no matter how many times you visit it. Are you sure you're not looking at the number of gates you've passed through? That's a running total that will count the same gate as many times as you pass through it.

If you really are seeing 374 sectors visited, and you're playing vanilla TC, then you've got bigger problems with the game than just missing MDS's.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Ravna

Post by Ravna » Thu, 10. Feb 11, 20:12

I had the same issue.
Started a new game and no MDS fabs anywhere.
(and I know this game like the back of my hand)

Obvious solution: Build one - Mine is in Preachers Void.
The MDS sell like crazy.
When in doubt, use brute force.

Spaceweed Adict
x3tc

Post by Spaceweed Adict » Thu, 10. Feb 11, 20:30

There is always one other way if the universe wont let you buy mining equipment, Build your own :wink:
If you want the MDS bad enough go to either Ceo's Sprite or Seaswell and you can buy your own plant there but don't really see why you want them as many have said missiles do a quicker and better job :wink:

Edit; Are yes automated mining and tyding up sectors I get it :wink:

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Thu, 10. Feb 11, 20:36

I have not usually had mobile miners,but someone on the SMP group was very good at it.
I have tried it a few times since and have found it very useful.
Not just the ship I am flying,but having other ships do the job for me.
Not always a short term money earer,but useful credits ,just the same.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”