No MDS factories - re-install needed?

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

toomutch
x3ap

No MDS factories - re-install needed?

Post by toomutch » Thu, 10. Feb 11, 13:19

Hi guys,
Wiped my PC and re-installed XP at Christmas, and took the opportunity to start afresh with x3TC - re-installed and patched straight to 3.0 with bonus pack and started USC commander (no mods). I've been playing since, and have just realised there are no Mobile Drilling Systems available to purchase anywhere. I've checked the usual sectors (PTNI HQ, The Vault, Seizewell, Paranid Prime) and there are no MDS factories, and the MDS is not available from Equip Docks. I've checked the in-game encylcopedia, and although it lists MDS, it does not state where I can get them from, so I don't think I can have ever passed one during this game. (seem to remember a problem with Tracor Beam Facs in a previous game - Renion maybe? - which need a patch/fix)

I am starting to think that this could be a bug, so want to reinstall TC, but would the bug be stored in my save games, or do I have to start afresh?
Thanks,
Toomutch
System Spec: ZX Spectrum. Memory - 16K with 32K add on pack. Sound - Cheetah Speech box. Graphics - mums old telly

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 10. Feb 11, 14:36

Three things.

Firstly the game AI GoD can and will remove some or even all of types of factories it thinks are not being used (ie being supplied or bought from).

Secondly you don't actually need an MDS at all. You can break sector asteroids with a high yield missile such as a Spectre or Hornet. You don't need the MDS to break intermediate rock sizes as any laser will do that (PAC, PRG, even IRE in the turret will do for mobile mining etc). Also the AI will never break a sector asteroid when mobile mining, so you have to do that personally anyway.

Thirdly, you can buy MDS factories from some shipyards (look in the Encyclopaedia under factories) and so make your own.

This is not really Tech Support but rather gameplay and hence a Universe forum topic.

EDIT: I just saw your identical thread in Universe where the same advice is being given there. To answer your specific question above, if you reinstall and then load your current gamesave then there will still be no NPC MDS factories, so nothing is gained by reinstalling and very little can be gained by restarting just over MDS.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”