Mobile Mining Base-Ship as an automated trader?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

StarSword
x3tc

Mobile Mining Base-Ship as an automated trader?

Post by StarSword » Mon, 14. Feb 11, 18:51

Since I finished my Automated Systems Manufacturing Complex in Aladna Hill, my MMBS Kodiak is basically just taking up space in the system when I'm not using it for station build missions. I can resupply it automatically with CLS, but what's a good way to make the TL itself an automated trader, and what equipment do I use?
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

JAFA_NZ
x3tc

Post by JAFA_NZ » Mon, 14. Feb 11, 19:04

TLs suck as Traders because they can only dock Shipyards, Equipment Docks, Military Outposts, HQs, & the Xenon Hub (I think that's the full list) in a Vanilla game (The mod that allows them to dock at complex hubs supposedly won't cost you the Vanilla tag, but I'm only using Vanilla-safe mods for performance improvement, so I haven't tried it).

Also, I don't think you can run Trade Command Mk.3 on them, so you'd probably need to use CLS2 to set up the trade routes, & that requires some thought (& a Cargo Messenger or better pilot).

On the other hand, TLs are fairly handy for Mobile Mining, & the MMBS has all the gear required by default.

Personally I think TLs are even better for Mobile Mining when done IS, 'cos their size means they run over everything collectable pretty much by accident, whereas IS TS Mobile Mining pretty much requires the Player to pilot & actively chase down the rocks.

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Mon, 14. Feb 11, 19:15

I have used TLs as a base for mining.
Supply shipes ,homebased at the TL to do the mining and then ships homebased to do the selling.
Works like a dream,as when set up ,you can just leave the sector and they just make credits for you.

Tried a couple of variations in my story guide(below).

I must admit that I was a bit miffed with the MMB at first,but used like this would be beneficial,although I used Mammoths in the story.

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Mon, 14. Feb 11, 19:21

TTD wrote:I have used TLs as a base for mining.
Supply shipes ,homebased at the TL to do the mining and then ships homebased to do the selling.
All right, I like that plan. Now how do I set it up so that it happens automatically?
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

JAFA_NZ
x3tc

Post by JAFA_NZ » Mon, 14. Feb 11, 19:27

@TTD:
It would be handy if the MMBS at least could dock a TS or 2 for Mobile Mining making it a real "Base Ship".

Or maybe if it could turn Freight Drones into "Mining Drones" that mined debris fields for it.

@Starsword:
If you're mining for Ore, Silicon, or ICE, equip the MMBS with a Trasporter Device, set the TSes intended for Mining so their "Homebase" is the MMBS & give them the relevant mining command off the "Special" menu, then assign the 'Sales Team' TSes to "Homebase" from the TL & give them the relevant "Sell" commands. (I may be wrong about the location of the TD, in which case all the TSes need one each, but the TL doesn't).

TTD
x4

Post by TTD » Mon, 14. Feb 11, 20:03

Yes .Not being able to dock TSs is what miffed me.

However ,You need the transporter device to transfer goods from and to th MMBS.
Or good use of the Falcon Haulers which can carry XL size cargo .

There are some threads on this on the forum,but I do not have the time to search atm,and I have lost my save games which the story was based on.Otherwise I would examine the two sectors and see how I set them up.

I thought I had indexed that part,but just glancing at the list I seem to have missed highlighting the events.

But basically the selling is the same as for selling products from your station,except that the MMBS is the homebase.
Hopefully another pilot can explain how to get your minerals from your miners to the MMBS.

As I said above,there are two ways to do this,but it was so long ago that I do not remember specifics. (Me getting old and memory not so good now,sorry).

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”