[X-BTF] Boring start...

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gazer75
x3tc

[X-BTF] Boring start...

Post by Gazer75 » Sun, 13. Mar 11, 21:30

Hi,

Got the Superbox on Steam a few days ago, and started with the first game.

Now after may hours I still find myself doing the same trading over and over. This gets boring after a while.

Ive traded energy cells and lately Nostrop oil mostly as Ive found I can earn the most for each so far.

So looking ahead...If I want to set up a mine I have to gather 30k or so to get a scanner, then I have to get another 15k for a mine. I assume I have to pay to hire the transporter too?

Am I go about this all wrong or is it supposed to be this boring at first?
Got about 20k saved up, and 70 cargo space.
Bought SETA and the Nav Map.

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Sun, 13. Mar 11, 23:21

Sounds like you've made a pretty good start but I'd suggest re-thinking your next step. Factories are the way to go, but I'd suggest something other than a mine. The Solar Power Plant is usually regarded as the best place to start as it's cheap (only 7.2K) and can make quite a profit. The downside is it's the only factory you can't hire a freighter for, so you'd need to provide the crystals with your own ship. Alternatively, you could save up a bit more and buy a different kind of factory, you'd need to keep about 10K back for a freighter though.

If you're getting bored with trade runs, do a bit of exploring. You may find some better deals and faster wares to make money with in new sectors. Don't forget to save though.
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

Allan F
x3ap

Post by Allan F » Sun, 13. Mar 11, 23:34

Go for a teladianium factory somewhere in the northern Paranid sectors. You don't have to supply this factory yourself, and the paranid are very fond of the stuff.

Don't forget to upgrade your speed, steering and cargobay, too.
Maverick: Requesting permission for flyby.
Air Boss Johnson: That's a negative ghostrider, the pattern is full.
Goose: No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.
Maverick: Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz a Split.
Split: Split now give you .... Aaaarrriiiigh.

Gazer75
x3tc

Post by Gazer75 » Tue, 15. Mar 11, 05:54

Thanks for the info guys, helped me quite a bit.

As of right now I got almost 500k with me and some 200k spread around my stations to keep those transports happy.

Upgraded engines 3 times so far and it was really needed as I can now just barely run from the Xenon M fighter. Those bastards got to tough shield for my puny dual Beta Pulse Ray Emitter :)

I set up a Teladianium Foundy in Atreus Clouds as there are 8 Gas factories there that would use it. Hopefully this will give me some nice profit. Though the darn energy cost in the system was crazy high.

Looks like it ramps up quite a bit once you get a power factory up and running over by the crystal fab in Greater Profit. Just annoyed me that the others undercut me all the way down. Had to drop price to 6 to get any sales :(

Got another question though. Will I be able to keep what I build in later X games? Like being able to bring a save over to XT?
Hope someone can answer this...
Thanks...

Allan F
x3ap

Post by Allan F » Tue, 15. Mar 11, 07:09

All the games are stand-alone and without connection with eachother. You can't transfer anything from game to game.

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Tue, 15. Mar 11, 07:12

@Allan F: This is totally off-topic, but I love your signature. Top Gun is one of my favorite movies.
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

Allan F
x3ap

Post by Allan F » Tue, 15. Mar 11, 07:40

It came from an old thread - something like "What if you could see the pilot in the cockpit" and it devolved from there.

Edit: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... t=#1072722

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Tue, 15. Mar 11, 18:55

Allan F wrote:All the games are stand-alone and without connection with eachother. You can't transfer anything from game to game.
That's true in vanilla form, but there are some scripts and mods that allow you to download your empire from one game and upload it to another (for certain versions). Once you've done the plot in X-BtF, it's pretty much time to move on though.

In my opinion, starting with a few factories can spoil the beginning of the game. But it's your game so you can do whatever you want.
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

Gazer75
x3tc

Post by Gazer75 » Mon, 21. Mar 11, 08:01

I just want to thank those who helped me. X-BTF is now completed...

Have to say it was pretty short once you get going and I think my last save was listed at 158 hours or so.

X-BTF is a nice introduction to what I suspect is a lot more complex in later games.

Thanks again. I'm now moving on to XT :)

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 22. Mar 11, 02:04

You should be aware that X-Tension has absolutely no plot. It's more like a testbed for the sandbox gameplay that became X2 and the X3's. But it's still a whole lot of fun, and there are some things in there you won't see in later games, such as those in-station animations and the torn apart planets in some sectors. It's a good intro game, though. Enjoy. :D
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Master of the Blade
x3tc

Post by Master of the Blade » Tue, 22. Mar 11, 18:26

as I can now just barely run from the Xenon M fighter.
You do know sustained boost is the most fun AND stylish way to dash across Xenon sectors or away from Xenon ships. Turns you into a 1-hit point wonder, but hey, you're so cool, you shouldn't need to care! :roll:

(btw, can you kill yourself with boost? I haven't yet apart from the occasional station accident, but...)
Allergic to work.

If at first you don't succeed, delegate the job to a minion.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”