Dumbfire missiles

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Uncle Ruckus 42

Dumbfire missiles

Post by Uncle Ruckus 42 » Sun, 20. Mar 11, 09:28

Does anyone actually ever use these things? Whats the best dumbfire missile? I've got a closed loop missile complex of only 11 stations in Veil of Delusion producing Wasp and Typhoon missiles which are swarm and require targets. Seeing as how I can't use my own Typhoon missiles yet, I'm looking for a more powerful missile than the Wasp to equip to my plethora of m3 ships that still has some decent speed and lock on ability. I could produce Tornado Missiles, (I like swarm missiles), these are dumbfire though so I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

I also can't seem to get anyone to come and actually buy my missiles, even when I price them moderately below average. There were two military bases right nextdoor but the Split blew up one of them.

One more thing, has anyone else noticed that when trading at a military base, if you sell the base weapons it does not normally carry but are only in your cargo bay, you can actually sell them more than the limit says it allows? Today I docked at the Split Military base in Contorted Dominion, sold them all 8 Typhoon Missiles that were supposedly the maximum stock the station could hold, then clicked again on typhoon missiles only to noticed the first 8 I sold didn't affect the market (the station still had 0) so I then sold the remaining 8 I had with me as well with still no effect on the market, as if they just disappeared as soon as they got off my ship.
"I don't understand......how can you shoot women and children"?

"Aw, its easy! You just don't lead them as much"!

Playbahnosh
x4

Post by Playbahnosh » Sun, 20. Mar 11, 09:33

Dumbfire missiles are dumb. I never used them. They might be good against VERY slow targets or stations or whatever, but I don't really see the point.

And yes, you can sell any kind of missile to Military Bases, they will buy just about anything. They do have a limit on how much they buy at once, but that's only arbitrary, like the 8 Typhoon missile, it only means you can only sell 8 at a time, but you can do it as many times as you want.

Uncle Ruckus 42

Post by Uncle Ruckus 42 » Sun, 20. Mar 11, 09:51

Thats what I thought dumbfire missiles are worthless then. I just thought the selling more than you are supposed to thing is odd because you can't do it with things that the station already carries. Like if there is a station that sells FBLs and already has one out of two in stock you can only sell them one and thats it no matter how many times you try but if you sell them something they normally don't offer at all you can sell indefinitely, seemed strange but I guess I'm happy to exploit it.

JAFA_NZ
x3tc

Post by JAFA_NZ » Sun, 20. Mar 11, 10:13

If you search a bit, there's actually a thread on using that exploit in conjunction with the Manual Trade Run command.

Flozem
x3tc

Post by Flozem » Sun, 20. Mar 11, 10:34

I love Tornado Missiles when charging M7s M2s or M1s... Insane amounts of damage, multiple warheads and fast firing rate make it a winner.... :D

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Sun, 20. Mar 11, 11:10

Uncle Ruckus 42 wrote:Thats what I thought dumbfire missiles are worthless then. I just thought the selling more than you are supposed to thing is odd because you can't do it with things that the station already carries. Like if there is a station that sells FBLs and already has one out of two in stock you can only sell them one and thats it no matter how many times you try but if you sell them something they normally don't offer at all you can sell indefinitely, seemed strange but I guess I'm happy to exploit it.
Tornados are probably one of the best missiles to use against slow capital ships, so don't right them off completely. :wink:

deca.death
x3tc

Post by deca.death » Sun, 20. Mar 11, 11:31

JAFA_NZ wrote:If you search a bit, there's actually a thread on using that exploit in conjunction with the Manual Trade Run command.

IT'S NOT AN EXPLOIT! IT'S A LEGITIMATE SELLING TACTICS!

oh, who am i kidding, it's an exploit alright. well, kindof exploit anyway. have only 20 factories doing that, otherwise would be really too easy, like nvidium mining.

TBV
x3tc

Post by TBV » Sun, 20. Mar 11, 12:29

Dumbfire missiles are fantastic, particularly the Tornado.

Try to look at it as a long-range ammo-based gun and it will make more sense. Very little blast-radius so can be fired point-blank.

It's effect is a bit like being able to equip gauss canons on a fighter, but
with much better range.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 20. Mar 11, 13:28

Dumbfire missiles are very effective against an enemy capital ship that heads directly towards you. Just line up on the target heading at you (while well out of their weapons range to your ship to avoid incoming fire at you exploding the missiles) and launch away. The capital ships hardly ever have any forward guns or forward turrets set to anti-missile and so are, in effect, defenceless against these missiles.

If they are also Free Fire missiles as well as Dumbfire (ie they need no target to launch) then you can launch a surprise attack as a prelude to boarding ops even on a neutral target without alerting its defences in advance.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Twest09
x3tc

Post by Twest09 » Sun, 20. Mar 11, 15:46

Sorry, but besides maybe the Tornado, DF missiles are garbage and in all instances any guided missile is at least 10X more effective. Guided swarm missiles are the apex of missile tech... so why dumb it down and use a less effective weapon? Makes no sense.

Lapo
x4

Post by Lapo » Sun, 20. Mar 11, 16:11

deca.death wrote:
JAFA_NZ wrote:If you search a bit, there's actually a thread on using that exploit in conjunction with the Manual Trade Run command.

IT'S NOT AN EXPLOIT! IT'S A LEGITIMATE SELLING TACTICS!

oh, who am i kidding, it's an exploit alright. well, kindof exploit anyway. have only 20 factories doing that, otherwise would be really too easy, like nvidium mining.
I never understood why people consider this an exploit. The EQ docks will buy weapons, missiles and shields you manually sell to them, even if they do not stock the item. That's normal behavior for EQ docks of all types.
However if you automate this, it is an exploit? That's crazy. The manual trade run works because they actually BUY those things, not because of some crazy glitch.

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Sun, 20. Mar 11, 16:33

deca.death wrote:IT'S NOT AN EXPLOIT! IT'S A LEGITIMATE SELLING TACTICS!

No, it's a sales tactic; you're selling to the local junkyard, or to the station's military supply warehouse, or something. My trick of selling the same ship to two different clients is an exploit.
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

Joe McCracken
x3tc

Post by Joe McCracken » Sun, 20. Mar 11, 18:24

I'm looking for a more powerful missile than the Wasp to equip to my plethora of m3 ships that still has some decent speed and lock on ability.
Have you looked at the Dragonfly Missile? It isn't a Swarm, but it is effective and pretty cheap. I use it a lot in my games for my fighters along with Wasps. It packs a pretty good punch on M5s, and M4s. 8)
I'd like to shoot you in the butt with a EBC gun, hide in the asteroids and laugh at what I done, put a blood blister upon each bun, I'd like to shoot you in the butt with a EBC gun.
Some people are like slinkies, not worth a whole lot, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Kirlack
x3tc

Post by Kirlack » Sun, 20. Mar 11, 19:16

I'm looking for a more powerful missile than the Wasp to equip to my plethora of m3 ships that still has some decent speed and lock on ability.
Hurricane gets my vote. It'a an IR missile, does 8k damage and moves at over 400m/s. It's only drawback is that it's not swarm, but it's small area explosion makes up for that quite nicely.

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Sun, 20. Mar 11, 19:22

Hurricane is not just fast, it's very quick turning as well - you don't get them circling their target lots of times without actually hitting...

Tim
Struggling to find something from the forums - Google it!!! :D

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Sun, 20. Mar 11, 19:35

You want to pick your missile loadouts based on what you're shooting them at.

My Chimeras (used as fighter-bombers) carry 30 Silkworms and 10 Thunderbolts. For this reason I've got a complex that cranks them out at 160 Silkworms and 96 Thunderbolts per hour. Once I start Operation: Final Fury, though, I'm temporarily switching them to Typhoons or some other high-yield swarm missile.

My Solanos (used as pure dogfighters) carry 10 Wasps.
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

deca.death
x3tc

Post by deca.death » Sun, 20. Mar 11, 19:39

Lapo wrote:
I never understood why people consider this an exploit. The EQ docks will buy weapons, missiles and shields you manually sell to them, even if they do not stock the item. That's normal behavior for EQ docks of all types.
However if you automate this, it is an exploit? That's crazy. The manual trade run works because they actually BUY those things, not because of some crazy glitch.
i'll try to explain - when you use manual trade runs in a described manner you are evading normal mechanisms of supply and demand on the market. thing is - when the designers made the possibility buying missiles from the player they actually had other thing in mind - ridding player of unnecessary tech, not including new and legit way of conducting trading business. so technically it is not an exploit but certainly is not "in a spirit of game" - selling small quantities of missiles to a dock who is really not a "normal" customer has no real reason to be most profitable business in the game. you could build just this type of factory and just forget everything else - and that would be bad.

solution is simple - for me at least, use it on small scale, like small profitable and elite industry.

Uncle Ruckus 42

Post by Uncle Ruckus 42 » Mon, 21. Mar 11, 12:56

Thanks for the suggestions. I had of course looked a lot at the encyclopedia before i even asked and had thought Hurricane Missiles would be great but I don't feel like setting up two other factories with it right now to complete the loop. Dragonfly's would be easiest, everything is already set up. I'm thinking Maybe what I should do is have 2 or 3 staple equip missiles and 2 or 3 sale missiles. I'm thinking Wasps, Dragongly's, and either Thunderbolt or Tornado for my fleet stockpiles. Then Typhoon, Flail Barrage, and maybe Hammer Heavy Torps for sale.

Anyone use the Tempest Missile much? I got a mission once to deliver some for the Duke and didn't get to keep or fire any of them, the encyclopedia doesn't tell you what kind of missile they are but they look statistically decent I might use those instead of Thubnderbolt.

Now I just need to figure out how much more Veil of Delusion can support. The only two asteroids with yields of at least thirty I'm already using and I'd like to keep all my missiles in one sector.

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Mon, 21. Mar 11, 13:04

I've tested them, and they're not half-bad. They don't do as much damage as the Thunderbolt, but unlike the T-bolt they'll select a new target if their original target is destroyed before the Tempest reaches it.

As for building complexes, check out the "My X3TC Links" in my sig. Under the "Complexes" heading is a link to a very good complex calculator.

Uncle Ruckus 42

Post by Uncle Ruckus 42 » Tue, 22. Mar 11, 09:19

Wow that complex calculator is awesome, it is now under "my favorites". Well done designing that.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”