buy ware + jumpdrive not working

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

grimfear
x3tc

buy ware + jumpdrive not working

Post by grimfear » Wed, 23. Mar 11, 08:43

Can some pls let me know what im doing wrong.

I set up my dolphin to buy silcon wafers from my complex in Preptual sin and sell it to my other complex in unknowen sector.

settings give it 200 fuel cells (only needs 120) buy silcon wafers 280. jumpdrive 1, refuel after 1 jump.

It jumps from unknowen to PS and buys 305 silcon wafers and does not refuel. (plenty of ecells in complex)

JAFA_NZ
x3tc

Post by JAFA_NZ » Wed, 23. Mar 11, 09:09

Are you using CAG/CLS or something else (looks like CLS2 to me).

If CLS2, try refuelling before buying the Silicon, & change the "buy 280 silicon" to "buy upto 280 silicon", the fact that it's got 305 onboard implies to me that it took some with it to it's supplier, suggesting it wasn't able to fully unload.

Also, come to think of it, you don't mention an "Unload 280 silicon" command, CLS2 doesn't unload without a command, I'd make that the 1st rather than last command, as that means it will dump any silicon onboard before going for more.

grimfear
x3tc

Post by grimfear » Wed, 23. Mar 11, 09:39

im not using the CAG bonus pack stuff - really dont understand it.
im just using "4. buy ware " command with it set to refuel after one jump.

that should work. it should jump to my station refuel and buy 280 SW

ok this is weird.

I swapped the dolphin home base to PS and put 200 ecells, and told it to SELL 280 to Unknow sector. After I gave it the command I looked at the freight, it had 80 ecells and 292 silcon wafers. Why is changing the amount of wafers?

lev aris
x4

Post by lev aris » Wed, 23. Mar 11, 09:50

AFAIK the jump fuel should be set to distance times two.
You can only get the e cells from your complex as you cant buy a these from a factory that uses them to make the Silicon.

cheers LA

JAFA_NZ
x3tc

Post by JAFA_NZ » Wed, 23. Mar 11, 09:51

I didn't think the basic "buy ware" commands gave you control over when it refuels.

If you have configured the ship to auto-jump & auto-refuel in it's command console it will refuel whenever it docks at a station that sells energy cells.

If your Silicon complex is configured not to sell Intermediate products, or doesn't include a Power loop, then your freighter can't buy eCells there, in which case I believe it might be able to refuel at it's homebase even that doesn't sell eCells.

But to be completely honest, I've been relying on Lucike's scripts since before ES solicited submissions for the Bonus Pack, if the Bonus Pack didn't include CLS I wouldn't even try to play a Vanilla game (& I still miss his Prospector), & as such I'm not really competent to comment on the basic trade commands.

Sorry.

grimfear
x3tc

Post by grimfear » Wed, 23. Mar 11, 09:52

lev aris wrote:AFAIK the jump fuel should be set to distance times two.
You can only get the e cells from your complex as you cant buy a these from a factory that uses them to make the Silicon.

cheers LA
both are my complex's. Im just moving silcon wafers from one to the other

JAFA_NZ
x3tc

Post by JAFA_NZ » Wed, 23. Mar 11, 09:55

Factory Ownership is irrelevant, the ship can only auto-refuel at a factory which doesn't sell Energy Cells if that factory/complex is set as it's Homebase.

If the Factory/Complex sells them (presumably as an Intermediate product due to a Power Loop), then it will buy them from the vending factory transferring the payment from it's homebase.

Or so I understand it.

grimfear
x3tc

Post by grimfear » Wed, 23. Mar 11, 11:39

thanks guys. I give up. what is the point of the sell ware having to input an amount to sell when it completly ignores that amount and puts what every it wants!

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 23. Mar 11, 11:57

Here is your problem:
grimfear wrote:jumpdrive 1, refuel after 1 jump
You misunderstand the settings. To use autojump you set autojump=yes, minimum jump = 1 (ie jump every time if changing sectors) and refuel = a minimum of say 15 (ie number of sectors-worth of jump fuel to carry = 150 e-cells for a TS). [You had set refuel to 1 which is just 10 e-cells so you may actually be using 130 e-cells per one-way trip then refuelling only 10!]

The formula for refuel is 2x(max sector jumps expected +1) where the +1 is because the ship also uses fuel for the sector it starts in (jumping 12 sectors away needs 13 lots of e-cells), and the 2x is because you may want it to come back from that fuel load as well. It is always worth loading the first return trip worth of e-cells manually before you issue the trade command.

As to why it seemed to have bought more Silicon than it should, I can only guess that it had some left over from the previous trip(s).
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

zazie
x4

Post by zazie » Wed, 23. Mar 11, 12:24

With the Vanilla commands, you might try another approach. I knwo it worked for some of my complexes, it isn't perfect though (Perfection IS obtainable - with Bonus Pack and CLS2).

Here we go:

Set the Complex in US as the Homebase of your Dolphin.

Set your Dolphin according to what Alan Phipps wrote; he is right. I set my freighters to minimal jump range 0 and 40 jumps (=400 EC).

Now give the freighter the command "manual trade run", select your complex in Perpetual Sin, select ware (Silicon), select "-1" as quantity.

Your Dolphin will now start buying as much Silicon as he can in Perpetual Sin and jump-transport it to your complex in US. He will refuel after each run at his Homebase. Good to know: the refuel-order has priority over the "buy Silicon"-order.

The Dolphin will run as long as there is enough space for Silicon at the Complex in US. If the stock is (almost) full, the freighter will stop its activity and send you a message.

You can restart the order later - or you take a smaller freighter.

Lelouch
x3tc

Post by Lelouch » Wed, 23. Mar 11, 12:24

grimfear wrote:thanks guys. I give up. what is the point of the sell ware having to input an amount to sell when it completly ignores that amount and puts what every it wants!
As I understood the option it specify the amount of times the command is executed. In other words: Number of Trade runs.

I usually set this value to -1 which equals to "forever"

Regarding the AutoFuel Stuff: In the command options of the ship specify auto jump, jump range and make sure the ship refills at least twice the jump range. The trader refuels only at his homebase.

Btw. there's a small bug / sideeffect if trying to use "sell ware" in combination with e-Cells. The trader will sell _all_ e-Cells including the jump-cells. To make it work, assign the trader to the other factory / complex and tell him to _buy_ e-Cells instead.

I used Buy Ware and Sell Ware quite a lot in patch 1.3 to supply my open complexes and factories with ressources. It works quite well. (Even completed the hub plot just relying on buy ware, sell ware, buy for best price, sell for best price.)

I never used this with a closed loop, I usually remote-supply /-harvest silicon and ore mines.

grimfear
x3tc

Post by grimfear » Thu, 24. Mar 11, 03:13

Alan Phipps wrote:Here is your problem:
grimfear wrote:jumpdrive 1, refuel after 1 jump
You misunderstand the settings. To use autojump you set autojump=yes, minimum jump = 1 (ie jump every time if changing sectors) and refuel = a minimum of say 15 (ie number of sectors-worth of jump fuel to carry = 150 e-cells for a TS). [You had set refuel to 1 which is just 10 e-cells so you may actually be using 130 e-cells per one-way trip then refuelling only 10!]

THANK YOU, thank you, thank you!!!
I was getting so frustrated that I was ready to eject from my ship and stand in the way of my firing PPC's - not pretty!.

I love this game, but it has a steep learn curve.

Now I wonder if I should try and get the hung of using CAG's?

...................... No! captain, not the air lock again!!!!!!!

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Thu, 24. Mar 11, 22:11

grimfear wrote: Now I wonder if I should try and get the hung of using CAG's?
CAG makes factory running a /lot/ easier.

Take a ship that has the relevant cargo size for your factory's consumable(s) (& product, if you want it to sell as well)
Fit the ship with Trade 1&2, Nav, Trade Extension s/w & homebase it to your factory. Dock the ship to its homebase to save time, or to another conveniently nearby station.
In the ship's command console, go to Trade|Start Commercial Representation
At this point you can look around the menus if you wish, or simply
Start Commercial Agent. The ship will fly first to its homebase, if not there already, then start trading.

Newbie (apprentice) CAG pilots will only supply the station, they won't sell its products. Once the pilot's gone up a level they can start selling (at above average price only). 2 levels & they can use a jumpdrive if fitted

CAGs will buy fighter drones if fitted with Fight 1 & mosquito missiles if fitted with Fight 2. These are for protection only.

A scanner is a good thing to have on a CAG, but is not necessary to start the sequence

CAGs become more profitable (ie efficient) as they level up

Hope this helps
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Thu, 24. Mar 11, 22:20

You should very definitely get the hang of using CAGs.

One thing Snafu_X3 failed to mention is the effect of CAGs on complexes. The advantage is, you can make extra money for your plex by selling off its surplus intermediate products. The disadvantage goes hand-in-hand with the advantage: a CAG cannot buy or sell intermediate products until it reaches a certain rank. (Which rank, I'm not sure; I train them to Trader before letting them loose.)

Because a closed-loop complex has no base products that need supplying, an apprentice CAG can't work for it since he only buys and doesn't sell. For complexes that involve factory chains -- a simplistic example would be a food loop, which for the Argon consists of a Cattle Ranch, which uses energy cells to produce argnu beef, and a Cahoona Bakery, which uses energy cells and argnu beef to make meatsteak cahoonas -- you have to train CAGs on single factories or open-loop complexes first.
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Fri, 25. Mar 11, 02:07

StarSword wrote:
I refer the honourable gentleman to my reply in the other thread :)
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Fri, 25. Mar 11, 03:25

Snafu_X3 wrote:
StarSword wrote:
I refer the honourable gentleman to my reply in the other thread :)
I hadn't read it yet.
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”