Tractor Beam

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

lemonylime
x3tc

Tractor Beam

Post by lemonylime » Mon, 28. Mar 11, 20:28

So, I have some mines waaay off in the distance, that I'd like to bring closer to the action, but the tractor beam isn't even in the encyclopedia in my game, so I have no clue where to get it. Could someone tell me which system to get them in?

Btw, the NPC traders do have to actually see a station before they come trade with it, right? Or will they still go to it, if they're trading with my other stations in the same system?

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Mon, 28. Mar 11, 20:37

There are two tractor beam factories in Third Redemption.
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

Catra

Post by Catra » Mon, 28. Mar 11, 20:44

No, your station can be wayyyyy off the map and still get NPC visitors.

lemonylime
x3tc

Post by lemonylime » Tue, 29. Mar 11, 06:12

Huh... so, how exactly does it work? I literally can't figure out how to use it. =/

Allan F
x3ap

Post by Allan F » Tue, 29. Mar 11, 07:09

You need a ship big enough to power the tractorbeam. That's a M6 as minimum. Some TS can also mount the tractorbeam, but not power it.

Mount the tractorbeam in a turret (or front if you don't have turrets). Move close to the mine you wish to move. Shoot it with your tractorbeam. If the beam locks on, you'll see a purple beam between the mine and your ship. Turn your ship towards the position where you wish to position the mine. Start flying. Note the top speed when using the tractor beam is 80 m/s. You can use the external view to judge the position of your mine. Be very carefull NOT to touch any other stations with it, because the mine or the station will be destroyed.

When you wish to disengage the tractor beam, point it towards an empty place in space, and fire it again.
Maverick: Requesting permission for flyby.
Air Boss Johnson: That's a negative ghostrider, the pattern is full.
Goose: No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.
Maverick: Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz a Split.
Split: Split now give you .... Aaaarrriiiigh.

galaxy_quest

Post by galaxy_quest » Tue, 29. Mar 11, 08:28

You can use the tractor beam on Caiman miner.

Ripskar
x3ap

Post by Ripskar » Tue, 29. Mar 11, 09:38

I prefer a Dragon if I'm dragging Mines around, with a turbo booster if you can afford it. It makes the operation a lot quicker.

Mileron
x4

Post by Mileron » Tue, 29. Mar 11, 15:36

In my game's universe, I too had problems finding tractor beams.

I checked Third Redemption (as StarSword mentioned) but there were no TB Facs there.
And even speeding around in a fast Discoverer I couldn't find any.

So I ended up building my own. It doesn't sell much, but it stays profitable.

David Howland
x3tc

M7 Is the best.

Post by David Howland » Tue, 29. Mar 11, 16:20

Yes I too move more mines by tractor than anything else, not for trade purposes but to arrange my larger complexes in as effective a manor as possible. Whilst all the previous posts are good I would say, after trying M6, TLs and M7s the best ship for towing heavy mines is the Shrike. It has good size and shielding, plenty of forward gun slots to take a couple of tractor beams with plenty left over for other powerfull cannons and if you do not want to fight enemies during a tow it has a hanger you can carry M3+ fighters in.
Good luck and may you and Egosoft give em plenty of welly!
The BANISHED RETURNS.
HEALTH WARNING! Steam Damages Freedom Of Speech!
Congratulations Egosoft on increasing memory usage from 2 to 3 Gb.
Bin playing X too long when Egosoft refuses to sell you their latest game?
The only steam I want is in my kettle! STEAM=GAME OVER.

Ripskar
x3ap

Post by Ripskar » Tue, 29. Mar 11, 18:49

You build complexes in sectors where you need M7 firepower? :o

Allan F
x3ap

Post by Allan F » Tue, 29. Mar 11, 21:10

Ripskar wrote:You build complexes in sectors where you need M7 firepower? :o
I've got a large complex (200 stations) in a sector where I need 4 M2's working together just to avoid loosing M2's.
Maverick: Requesting permission for flyby.
Air Boss Johnson: That's a negative ghostrider, the pattern is full.
Goose: No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.
Maverick: Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz a Split.
Split: Split now give you .... Aaaarrriiiigh.

StarSword
x3tc

Re: M7 Is the best.

Post by StarSword » Tue, 29. Mar 11, 23:00

David Howland wrote:Yes I too move more mines by tractor than anything else, not for trade purposes but to arrange my larger complexes in as effective a manor as possible. Whilst all the previous posts are good I would say, after trying M6, TLs and M7s the best ship for towing heavy mines is the Shrike. It has good size and shielding, plenty of forward gun slots to take a couple of tractor beams with plenty left over for other powerfull cannons and if you do not want to fight enemies during a tow it has a hanger you can carry M3+ fighters in.
Good luck and may you and Egosoft give em plenty of welly!
I also favor dragging stuff around with an M7. My M7 of choice is the Panther. It has everything the Shrike does and more (particularly speed and agility).

Whenever I need to tow something, I get close to it, hop into the front turret and exchange the gun in slot 1 for the tractor I keep in my cargo bay. I then switch to group 2, which only fires gun slot 1, and fire the tractor.
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

cj-spartacus
x3ap

Post by cj-spartacus » Tue, 29. Mar 11, 23:09

If your game is a few days old the tractor beam factories might already have been removed by GoD for not doing anything. If you do find one, however, it is very straight forward.

Replace the rear turret with a TB. Aim and fire at the mine then fly to where you want to dump it and be glad you're not playing Reunion. God I hate towing mines in Reunion.
"Sticking feathers up your butt doesn't make you a chicken." - Tyler Durden

berth
x4

Post by berth » Tue, 29. Mar 11, 23:26

Mileron wrote:In my game's universe, I too had problems finding tractor beams.

I checked Third Redemption (as StarSword mentioned) but there were no TB Facs there.
And even speeding around in a fast Discoverer I couldn't find any.

So I ended up building my own. It doesn't sell much, but it stays profitable.
Yeah, I had this. It took me a while to get the three eyes to like me enough to buy the factory to build the TB to drag the plot ship.

Damn sight easier than X3R's TB, though - that was hellish, this is pretty much fire and forget.

I intend to go back to Paranid hunting in the near future :wink:

lemonylime
x3tc

Post by lemonylime » Wed, 30. Mar 11, 00:33

cj-spartacus wrote:If your game is a few days old the tractor beam factories might already have been removed by GoD for not doing anything. If you do find one, however, it is very straight forward.

Replace the rear turret with a TB. Aim and fire at the mine then fly to where you want to dump it and be glad you're not playing Reunion. God I hate towing mines in Reunion.
Mine's coming up on 20 days now, and both of the tractor beam forges were there.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 30. Mar 11, 00:37

The problem with Tractor Beams is that no one buys them. So the NPC's won't trade in them. So the TB forges fill up and GoD eventually removes them. I solve the problem in my games by using Cycrow's cheat pack to put tractor beams in the wares lists of a couple of Paranid equipment docks, giving the NPC's a place to sell them. The NPC weapons and high tech traders do the rest. Problem solved. :)
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Wed, 30. Mar 11, 20:58

I think it's simpler to build your own.

NavyAICS
x3tc

Post by NavyAICS » Thu, 31. Mar 11, 21:06

Nanook wrote:The problem with Tractor Beams is that no one buys them. So the NPC's won't trade in them. So the TB forges fill up and GoD eventually removes them. I solve the problem in my games by using Cycrow's cheat pack to put tractor beams in the wares lists of a couple of Paranid equipment docks, giving the NPC's a place to sell them. The NPC weapons and high tech traders do the rest. Problem solved. :)
another solution to keep GoD from removing the station is to buy a cheap ship that can carry the TB in the cargo bay then send it to a shipyard and sell the whole ship filled w/ TBs in the cargo hold.

it's a bit over-the-top but i do this w/ nividium and make plenty of profitssss.
-NavyAICS.
TRAMPLE THE WEAK, HURDLE THE DEAD!

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 31. Mar 11, 21:13

StarSword wrote:I think it's simpler to build your own.
But it certainly isn't 'cheaper'. And is moot if you're at war with the Paranid. Which I often am. :fg:

The way I figure it, someone at Egosoft simply forgot to add a buyer for Tractor Beams, so I supplied a couple. And since there are buyers, there'll be traders carrying them. So I can acquire a few by nefarious means if the Paranid don't like me. :pirat:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”