[X3R] BPBEs keep going after hitting target

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

jackmcbarn
x3tc

[X3R] BPBEs keep going after hitting target

Post by jackmcbarn » Wed, 6. Apr 11, 03:21

While testing some weapons, I've found that the Beta PBE (I didn't try the Alpha PBE) isn't stopped when it hits and damages a target. It apparently enters the target, causes damage, and then exits the target. I've never heard of this happening and it doesn't make any sense to me. Here's a screenshot of what I mean: http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/5372/b ... terhit.png
Sorry about the cropping of the bottom right and the OS cursor; I took this screenshot with Print Screen instead of the built-in X shortcut. In the picture, my LX is firing BPBEs at my Hyperion with a perfectly lined up shot and auto aim enabled. I made sure that all of the shots that did this do indeed actually hit their target. Is it normal for BPBEs to do this, and if not, what could cause it?

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 6. Apr 11, 06:28

PBE bullet is very fast. Collision check is discrete and not continuous. Some bullets manage "pass through" between checks. During heavy load (which drops framerate too) all PBE fire can "miss" the target. That has been reported more than once.

You could line up two targets to see whether the passed through bullets do damage the second target as well. They probably do.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”