[TC] Disruptor Missiles - The Logistical Nightmare

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

A5PECT
x4

[TC] Disruptor Missiles - The Logistical Nightmare

Post by A5PECT » Thu, 7. Apr 11, 03:29

So I've been working for these OTAS fellows in the hopes of them handing over some of their pretty little ships (namely the Venti). I seem to have run into a problem with their most recent mission offer.

I'm to deliver a small stockpile of ordnance which happens to include 13 Disruptor Missiles. This poses a bit of a problem, as according to my encyclopedia no station in the known universe sells them. The only way I know of obtaining them is by blasting pirate ships and hoping there's some missiles littered amongst the debris.

I've been sweeping the pirate sectors between Aladna Hill and Elena's Fortune, but after wading through dozens of pirate ships there isn't a single disruptor missile to be found. I know it's mostly up to the RNG when it comes to things like this, but I'm wondering if there's a more reliable way to get these missiles?

I'm aware that I could simply accept then abort the mission, and hope an easier one is offered next. But this is more of a last resort as I'd rather not take the reputation hit.
Last edited by A5PECT on Thu, 7. Apr 11, 03:57, edited 2 times in total.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Thu, 7. Apr 11, 03:42

There isn't much (if any) of a rep hit with aborting a corp mission - take it on the chin!

Disrupter missile missions are a PITA - after I spent much of a RL day trying to find these pesky buggers I gave up & aborted the next few missions I saw with them as requirements

However, if you're determined, note that they're Yaki-produced, so you may find more drops by attacking Yaki than pirates. Xenon M3/M4s (very) occasionally drop them as well

Hope this helps!
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

andrewas
x3tc

Post by andrewas » Thu, 7. Apr 11, 11:13

Go xenon farming. A sweep of Core 023 and surrounding sectors, followed by a cruise along the xenon migration path to Black Hole Sun, finishing with a Xenon defense mission - which will include all migrating ships that attempt to pass through BHS while its ongoing - typically nets me around 30 to 40 million, and there should be enough disruptors dropped to pass that mission.

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Thu, 7. Apr 11, 11:42

I have to second this, that Yaki tend to drop them more than pirate and Xenon do...

gbjbaanb
x3tc

Post by gbjbaanb » Thu, 7. Apr 11, 12:49

My recommendation - put a ship or sat in Savage Spur and watch the yaki trundle about their business. Every so often the Paranid send a Deimos in there which proceeds to blow all the yaki up, leaving behind naught but their cargo.

Of this cargo, there's a fair percentage of disruptor missiles. so I tend to wait for the paranid to get in there, then jump in and wait for the drops followed by the autopilot fetch wares command. You have to be in sector for this to work - hence take a look every so often to see if they've started fighting.

When I tend to do this, I get 3 or 4 disruptors out of it before the Paranid have killed every Yaki in sight. Store them on a docked ship so when the deliver mission asks for them, I'll have a few. I used to attack the yaki myself but for some reason they've turned blue to me, and when I did it I would find the drops are not as regular as when the NPCs battle it out. And besides, I have a trading empire to run while I'm watching the pretty fireworks.

BTW, I was doing the corporate missions - Terracorp wants 16, Plutarch wanted 12 and then NMMC wanted 16 too! I find disrupter missions add a certain challenge you can't get from the other missions.

Baddieus
x4

Post by Baddieus » Thu, 7. Apr 11, 14:02

I found that the Argon & Boron militaries seem to drop a lot of Disruptors too.

For example, the N gate of Belt of Aguilar enters Xenon 472, and if you have a satellite in BoA, then look in from time to time and you will see the militaries headed that way. Once they get near the gate, jump to the E gate of Xenon 472 and be in a quick ship with decent sheilding. Once the military & the xenon get after each other there will be freight drops, including disruptors, for which I once retrieved 5 from a single engagement.

David Howland
x3tc

Yaki region found bare.

Post by David Howland » Thu, 7. Apr 11, 15:08

I was doing this mission some months ago when I got locked out Otas HQ. In my long running 'Locked Out Otas' thread I had the suggestion that placing a ship in Sav. Spur and its Yaki neighbours on collect wares orders may net some disrupter missiles. I placed two ships in each of those sectors on collect ware duties but not one missile has been found yet?
I am still collecting Dis. mis.s in case I return to Corp missions and have found most of mine in Zyarths Dom. and Thyns Abyss. Oddly enough I have noticed there is a greater drop of these missiles if I go IS. and deal with the Zenon personally, than just allowing my defence patrols destroy them OOS. After my bruising experience of being locked out of Otas HQ I have no interest in Corporation work, for the time being I regard the rewards for the work, inadequate for dealing with such treacherous organisations.
Good luck and may Egosoft go with you!
The BANISHED RETURNS.
HEALTH WARNING! Steam Damages Freedom Of Speech!
Congratulations Egosoft on increasing memory usage from 2 to 3 Gb.
Bin playing X too long when Egosoft refuses to sell you their latest game?
The only steam I want is in my kettle! STEAM=GAME OVER.

gbjbaanb
x3tc

Post by gbjbaanb » Thu, 7. Apr 11, 15:44

I don't think I've ever seen cargo dropped unless I've been in the sector.

Lelouch
x3tc

Post by Lelouch » Thu, 7. Apr 11, 16:51

The spoiler details game mechanics about mission selection and mission target.
Spoiler
Show
The actual mission details are open to change until the mission pops up. So if you save after completing a mission, but before a new mission is available at the HQ you can reload and avoid disruptor missions completely.

To change the mission type itself one must save before the previous mission has been completed and reputation increased.

Ripskar
x3ap

Post by Ripskar » Thu, 7. Apr 11, 18:24

I get mine from Xenon Sector 347, hang around in a Springy and wait for the drops, you also get a fair number of Rapier, Beluga and Hammerhead missiles. I even snatched an IBL on one occasion.
I find this easier as I can let the Teladi fleets do the actual shooting whilst I preserve my low(ish) fight rank whereas other Xenon Sectors rarely see significant military units trying to cross.
If you have the Hub and an example of a Disruptor Missile you can add it to your trade wares list and whack up the price to flush out any that might be at large. I use the same trick for Terran weapons.
Do you miss dangerous pirates?
Try leading the target a little more...

ImageCobra Mk. III Cmdr.

Ozkar
x3tc

Post by Ozkar » Thu, 7. Apr 11, 18:45

Spend some time flying thru the pirate alley from Aladna Hill to Elena's Fortune, scan all Weapons Dealers and High-tech Traders you see, both fighters and TS, when they have Disruptors, fire, tell them to drop cargo and appologize. This way you get 100% of every disruptor being carried and are not leaving it up the the X2 sagt Bussi auf Bauch RNG to drop one.
Give me a mamba or give me death!

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 7. Apr 11, 21:50

At the start of a game, I simply collect and store any disruptor missiles I find. By the time I'm ready to do the corporate missions, I generally have plenty of them in my stockpile. So the advice is, don't use them and don't sell them - store them. :)
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

deca.death
x3tc

Post by deca.death » Thu, 7. Apr 11, 22:16

correct me if i'm wrong but...

these corporate missions seem pretty useless to me. i'm doing otas now but i thin it will be my first and my last corporate employer

-first, they are classic random missions, no plot, no story, nothing to see
-second, your rank gets high painfully slow, like 10x slower then race rank. it's slow, tedious and boring.
-third, rewards, once you finally get them are unimpressive and you fly in far better ship or class then they offer. not long ago i got myself nice solano. i parked it into my hyperion and put him in one of my many factory defense squadrons. oh gee. you shouldn't, really guys. yawn. venti would be nice ship if i was still in my nova. now, several destoyers later i just dumped him in goner temple, with rest of my unique ships. yes, they could be RE'd and used in carriers but somehow i would feel much more comfortable with ship full of normal fighters which i could buy/replace whenever i feel like, to loose 10 solanos or deca.cefa or 10 venti is not the same. even loosing 10 chimeras would be more acceptable.

Lelouch
x3tc

Post by Lelouch » Thu, 7. Apr 11, 23:01

deca.death wrote:these corporate missions seem pretty useless to me. i'm doing otas now but i thin it will be my first and my last corporate employer
You are right - none of these ships (even the Scirocco) is absolutely essential. Some have nice perks, some are acquireable otherwise.

The good thing about the company plots is, that they are truly an achievement (even if it's just in proving stubborness and/or masochism). I think it's a good thing the rewards being of 'limited' use. This way the missions can be as painful as they are. If one doesn't fancy the challenge then one can leave it aside and nothing bad happens. The gifts are good enough to be "rewards", but not too good, so that there are too many GIVE! GIVE! GIVE! MOMMY IT'S SO HARD! cries which force the devs to finally cave in and succumb to the masses.

I'm really proud I didn't just board a HCP, instead it was a generous gift of the Plutarch Mining corporation.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Fri, 8. Apr 11, 00:55

I find Disruptor missiles too valuable as weapons in most cases. Though I've used them in my DiD for OTAS.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 8. Apr 11, 01:02

Hurricanes are nearly as fast, and do the same damage. True, they take up more cargo room, but they also seem to be more readily available. Hurricanes are also cool because they have a larger explosion radius, very useful in killing Kha'ak clusters.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

brattbags01
x3tc

Post by brattbags01 » Fri, 8. Apr 11, 09:39

Well, I see that you are playing a modified game so if you don't mind adding a bit more to it you could install the Marauder Shipyard mod which actually sells a Disruptor Missile Factory. :)

Edit: It also sells a Plasma Burst Generator Forge and a Incendiary Bomb Launcher Forge.
X3 TC
Trade: Tycoon
Fight: X-Treme

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Fri, 8. Apr 11, 13:35

Thanks for all of the advice, guys. In the end I just went with the first suggestion: accept and abort. I've moved on pretty far past that point now, but I have begun stockpiling disruptor missiles.
brattbags01 wrote:Well, I see that you are playing a modified game...
Umm... I never said I was playing with scripts or mods. It's vanilla.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Joe McCracken
x3tc

Post by Joe McCracken » Fri, 8. Apr 11, 19:36

KloHunt3r,

[/quote]Umm... I never said I was playing with scripts or mods. It's vanilla.

If you look at your OP, it does say you are playing 'modified'. :P
I'd like to shoot you in the butt with a EBC gun, hide in the asteroids and laugh at what I done, put a blood blister upon each bun, I'd like to shoot you in the butt with a EBC gun.
Some people are like slinkies, not worth a whole lot, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Ripskar
x3ap

Post by Ripskar » Fri, 8. Apr 11, 19:46

That's the fact that post has been edited after someone else posted, not that his game is modded. :lol:
Do you miss dangerous pirates?
Try leading the target a little more...

ImageCobra Mk. III Cmdr.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”