Hornet Missle/Docking Computer & Station Destruction

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

o1derfull1
x2

Hornet Missle/Docking Computer & Station Destruction

Post by o1derfull1 » Sun, 29. Feb 04, 04:50

I've read a couple of posts concerning the tactic of firing 20 hornets at a fact. and using the docking computer to dock with it before the missles hit and then leaving the station so the missles dont register as yours and the station gets destroyed without taking a reputation hit. Some of the older players and intent forum readers will be familair with this tactic. Only thing is I can't get it to work. Does anyone know if it still works in X2? If so, could someone provide a more detailed explanation of the process?
eagerly awaiting X3....

nifty X2 guides collected in one thread:
www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=84410
Also
http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=84410

HarryLemon
x3tc

Post by HarryLemon » Sun, 29. Feb 04, 06:58

I believe I read that it also works if you just transport yourself into a nearby vessel of yours immediately after launching your volley of Hornets. If so, this would seem to be the far easier method of saving rep.

HarryLemon

Sirus5
x4

Docking Computer

Post by Sirus5 » Sun, 29. Feb 04, 11:47

Firstly, have you got the docking computer - bought from the Paranid Equipment docks, the ordinary computer will not do!
Ensure that you know how to use it to dock - not use the autodocking which flies you in slowly on autopilot, but from 4.99km out will instantly transport you to the door.

Secondly, you must then press escape to dock (better if autosave is off) and then press esc to release the moorings and esc again to get out of the station - then a quick tab to get speed to max (you do have the boost upgrade don't you).

When you have this procedure practiced, then you will be able to get in and out before the first of the hornets is remotely near.

Brianetta
x4

Post by Brianetta » Sun, 29. Feb 04, 11:57

1. Stand up for your own actions, wuss. If you destroy a station, live with the rep damage. Cheating by exploiting a bug or coding oversight is still cheating.

2. It might not still be possible in X2 anyway.

3. If you're still intent on cheating, just use a one-line kill script to destroy any object you like, with no recriminations.
PGP fingerprint: FA3D CA2F 38D3 BA69 87E1 D52E C204 FB5C 430A 0BFA

o1derfull1
x2

Post by o1derfull1 » Sun, 29. Feb 04, 11:58

Hmmm... as far as I can figure, I'm performing the procedure correctly. Have you done this successfully in X2? You know positively that this works? If so, I'll have to try again. I have all the requisite equipment. I'll also try the transporter bit and report back. I believe this tip to be invaluable, should it work, to successfully conquer AI sectors as I set two fulled maxed destroyers to attack one factory and two hours on SETA later they'd destroyed the cap ship on location but the factory remained at 100% sheilds and 100% hull. If this doesnt work, I've got a long hard road ahead....
eagerly awaiting X3....

Also

Omicron
x2

Post by Omicron » Sun, 29. Feb 04, 12:31

Brianetta wrote:1. Stand up for your own actions, wuss. If you destroy a station, live with the rep damage. Cheating by exploiting a bug or coding oversight is still cheating.

2. It might not still be possible in X2 anyway.

3. If you're still intent on cheating, just use a one-line kill script to destroy any object you like, with no recriminations.
IMHO:

scripting a fab out = cheating

exploiting a bug like this one = not cheating
Animated signature removed - Abyss
[ external image ]

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 29. Feb 04, 12:36

I've not tried it myself but I believe from what other people have posted on the forum that this loophole was removed in X².

o1derfull1
x2

Post by o1derfull1 » Sun, 29. Feb 04, 12:47

I concur with Omicron. Probably for different reasons thought. Using scripts of any sort I feel is cheating. 'Exploiting' a bug is sort of like a 'free pass' if you can get it to work, especially since there are other bugs that hurt the player it's only fair that some help. Also, were this the 'real' I'm pretty sure they're be a way to destroy a station without first hand involvement or traceability. A Planted bomb, a TS loaded with C4 on a timer, a match in their gas tank, something... and it wouldn't necessarily be traceable to you. Since this option could exist in real life, exploiting a bug to make this happen I dont consider cheating. Besides, you have to be skilled to make it happen, and spend money on the missles and the equipment... scripting jsut makes it 'free' and there's no expense or challenge to fire, get in, and get out before it happens. o
eagerly awaiting X3....

Also

o1derfull1
x2

Post by o1derfull1 » Sun, 29. Feb 04, 15:26

Fantastic news! It works. Not the docking computer to station bit, but the transporter device to a nearby ship trick. It 100% guaranteed works. I fired off 20 hornets at a random station to test this, and transported from my nova to my m1 and watched as all the hornets impacted and brought the stations hull down to 57% and the station never gave me a warning and it stayed blue the whole time. No rep. loss. One thing though... TWENTY HORNET missles, and the station is STILL intact... damn. How many do I need? 25? Sheesh.
eagerly awaiting X3....

Also

brucebia
x2

Post by brucebia » Sun, 29. Feb 04, 16:52

I have tried docking and leaving before the destruction: Doesn't work
I tried Jumping out of the sector before they hit : doesn't work

what does work is not being in the ship that fired the hornets.

Either Transfer to another ship
Or fly the ship with the hornets from one of the monitors and fire remotely.

Kryten
x4

Post by Kryten » Sun, 29. Feb 04, 16:54

I haven't managed it, In x-btf it was simple, you just fired off hornets as fast as you could and as long as they all hit before you got a warning the station usually blew up and no loss of rep.

In X2 you can't fire misiles so quickly as they will run into each other and explode, the time it would take to fire enough would see you first hornet hitting before you had time to get your caboose into the transporter :wink:

but to be honest you can take out a station without that much of an impact. well If your reps good enough, I believe queens knight will allow you to take out 3 stations before you have to work rep up again, easily down with trading though.
X2 Vet
X3 Recruit
[ external image ]
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”