Tips needed for starting out in DID mode

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

cobra mk2
x4

Tips needed for starting out in DID mode

Post by cobra mk2 » Wed, 20. Apr 11, 20:39

I've returned to X3TC after a break and i've decided to start a brand new game instead of continuing my old one. I'd been playing the same save game since the game launched so it was a bit bloated and there was far too much going on to remember what stage i was at in my attempt at universal domination.

Anyway, i'm gonna try the DID mode this time so i need some tips (not spoilers) as to getting hold of enough bread to buy a transporter i.e. what are the best jobs to take in that teeny octopus and where will i have a good chance of finding some leftovers from a battle that i can nip in and scoop up and sell? (i can't remember where any of the 'free' ships are located so plz dont tell me) and maybe some ideas of what different paths i could try would be appreciated as well.

Also, when i last played X3TC it was v2.8 or v2.9 maybe, well it was just before the v3.0 came out and when i start a new game now at v3.1 it seems like there is a lot more happening and the universe more densely populated and definitely more awe inspiring(honestly, i was quite awestruck) than when i was playing my previous save game which i had started at v1.0.

Do you think this is really the case or am i just imagining it?
"Out of the dirt, into the sky"

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Wed, 20. Apr 11, 20:47

The easiest way to get start-up funds would be to collect abandoned ships.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

pologoalie8908
x3tc

Post by pologoalie8908 » Wed, 20. Apr 11, 20:51

agreed, Google Ownerless Ships in X3 and you'll be taken to a fan site with a list of coords of the ships

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Wed, 20. Apr 11, 21:02

Ok you want tips:
Spoiler
Show
(1) First of, dock at Altreus and sell your shield.
(2) Early in the game, police will not scan you for contraband, so head straight for the pirate base in Veil of Delusion to sell your Space Fuel. With the cash from the fuel and the shield, buy a Cargo Life Support and a Fight SW Mk2 (Mk1 is easy to get with your starting Boron rep)
(3) Claim the 2 abandoned ships, and with the CLS, do taxi missions. I would sell one to get the cash, and keep one to do missions and train my marines. If you are lucky, you can get missions given by a Split or a Paranid in Boron/Teladi space that should bring you docking rights at the respective race. You can also buy a mineral scanner and do Scan Asteroid missions.
(3b) You can also claim the cash in the Uknown sector south of Menelaus Oasis.
(4) Do the Terran plot as early as possible to give you a fly-able M6s.
(5) You want to avoid hand-2-hand combats, so get an M7M as soon as possible. The fastest way is via Return Ship Missions
And last but not least:
(i) Autopilot+SETA at the same time will kill you, so avoid using them especially in sectors with asteroids.
(ii) Never linger around a gate as you come out of it. If you have to jump a large ship, and your own ship at the same time to the same gate, jump the large ship first, wait until it appears on the map, before jumping your own ship. This is to use the Collision Detection codes to your favor (as it would displace the large ship).
(iii) Watch for traffic signals as you enter a gate. Don't run a red light!!!
(iv) Speed kills, so given a choice between the Adv Disco (400m/s) and a Kestrel (600m/s) pick the slower one.
(v) if a mission ask you to scan something, use the external view (F2). You may crash into the object you want to scan if you are not careful.

Baddieus
x4

Post by Baddieus » Wed, 20. Apr 11, 22:12

Don't dock your Springblossom at one of the side clamps of the Hub ... Undock = Boom!

tranenturm
x3tc

Post by tranenturm » Thu, 21. Apr 11, 08:53

Don't autopilot around asteroids. If two are too close the computer can get confused and you are gone.

DO autopilot out of the big shipyards. The Hyperion Vanguard is known to auto-destruct leaving these stations. I've also had a problem docking with a player owned Hammer heavy factory.

Speed saves! You should always fly the fastest ship that you can to get out when problems arise. Best is to fly the Hyperion Vanguard or Springblossom.

Beware of PBGs! Pirates have them and it's soooooo easy to get killed by them for one little mistake.

Travel in dangerous areas with two ships. The second ship can give you the chance you need to both see what is coming at you and deflect attention from you. Just be in the better shielded of the two for potential collision hazards.

Taxi missions early!

Elana's Fortune often has the remains of Pirates lying around. Just be careful of them appearing!

Keep mkii drones for protection.

NUKLEAR-SLUG
x3tc

Post by NUKLEAR-SLUG » Thu, 21. Apr 11, 14:34

Good reading comprehension there guys. OP very specifically said he was NOT interested in spoilers and abandoned ships.. :roll:

If you need a good place to pick up salvage I'd personally head up to Black Hole Sun and loiter around there for a while. There's almost inevitably a Xenon patrol sooner or later which whether it does well or not is usually good for picking up a few nice missiles which go a long way early on.

As far as missions capable for your Octopus you can do station defence missions as early on they will consist of little more than an M5 or two and those M5's will be fixated on attacking the station not you so they're easy prey and often drop a few light missiles for extra cash.

Also you can do ship recovery missions which can be a bit time-constrained but are almost zero danger and once you've saved up a bit of cash and can afford a Mineral scanner you can do some asteroid scan missions as well which are again simple to do and pretty risk free.

mordtech
x3tc

Post by mordtech » Thu, 21. Apr 11, 14:54

come back and tell us after around the 50 hour playing time mark what killed you, the auto pillock or collision going through jumpgate.
split alive!

ObadiahtheSlim
x3tc

Post by ObadiahtheSlim » Thu, 21. Apr 11, 16:32

I have two words. DOCKING COMPUTER. Seriously, don't trust the auto-pillock.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Tips needed for starting out in DID mode

Post by Nanook » Thu, 21. Apr 11, 19:45

cobra mk2 wrote:...what are the best jobs to take in that teeny octopus...
Correct me if I'm wrong because I don't have the Steam game, but doesn't the Suicidal Squid official DiD start give you a Mako, not an Octopus?
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

cobra mk2
x4

Post by cobra mk2 » Thu, 21. Apr 11, 20:23

Correct me if I'm wrong because I don't have the Steam game, but doesn't the Suicidal Squid official DiD start give you a Mako, not an Octopus?
I'ts definitely an octopus, the thing i hate about it the most is the fact it only carries 's' class cargo so i cant fit a scanner or taxi anyone.

come back and tell us after around the 50 hour playing time mark what killed you, the auto pillock or collision going through jumpgate.
In all my time playing X3TC i've never crashed due to the Autopilot as i take special care at gates etc and i've been playing since launch but sure enough with this new DID gamestart it's already killed me twice.
If you need a good place to pick up salvage I'd personally head up to Black Hole Sun and loiter around there for a while. There's almost inevitably a Xenon patrol sooner or later which whether it does well or not is usually good for picking up a few nice missiles which go a long way early on.
I went to the pirate sector/station a couple of sectors away from the start position, (Faded Dreams i think) so i could sell the booze i started with and two Boron Kraken with fighter support followed after me. They took on the Brigatine that was loitering around the middle of the sector and every single boron life was lost, i was a bit surprised as i didn't realise the Brigatine was so powerful. The Boron got there asses handed to them on a plate. Needless to say i set about feverously scooping up all those leftover tumbling missile crates hoping for a remote warhead or two. :)

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 21. Apr 11, 22:51

cobra mk2 wrote:
I'ts definitely an octopus...
Then I stand corrected. :)

In which case, someone needs to update their TC Starting Points thread. :P

Oh, and since we're on the topic of the Suicidal Squid, can someone list the starting details, including exactly what you have in your ship for cargo and equipment, what the various race reps are, and any other initial conditions for this start? Although I don't use Steam, I'd like to recreate this start as a normal one and try it as an unofficial DiD. Thanks in advance for any help.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

cobra mk2
x4

Post by cobra mk2 » Fri, 22. Apr 11, 00:25

DID starting details :

Name : Lar Naminaus
Species : Boron
Difficulty : Dead is Dead

---

Starting Credits : 1000cr
Starting Sector : Queens Harbour
Starting Ship : Boron Octopus (M5)
Shield : 100%
Hull : 100%
-
Shield : 1MJ
Laser : None
Missile : None
-
Current Cargobay : 5 Units
Upgradeable to : 15 Units
-
Installed Ship Extensions :
2 Engine Tunings
S.E.T.A.
-
Freight Bay :
1MJ Shield
2 Space Fuel
-
Titles:

Opportunist 0%
Harmless 0%

Argon Citizen 50%
Boron Trusted Courtier 0%
Split Enemy of Rhonkar 98%
Paranid Enemy of Priest Duke 99%
Teladi Profit Initiate 0%
Goner Sceptic 50%

I havn't reached Terran Sectors yet so i can't show their 'race relations' but i will edit it as soon as i do.
The Khaak, Xenon and Yaki are enemies, as are the pirates but i noticed that there doesn't seem to be as many 'red' pirates as other gamestarts.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”