[TC] Cluster Flak Array vs Flak Artillery Array

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

KaesarSosei
x3tc

[TC] Cluster Flak Array vs Flak Artillery Array

Post by KaesarSosei » Fri, 22. Apr 11, 21:28

Hi,

Can someone briefly explain the difference between these two weapon systems? Is it just a case of different races/ships using different systems but the weapons are roughly the same?

Thanks

Catra

Post by Catra » Fri, 22. Apr 11, 21:46

They're basically the same. Just different values and graphics.

FAA does 300 more hull and 200 more shield than the CFA, but the CFA shoots 6 more rounds/min.
Just saying it forward: I give everyone 2 posts to make good, in context posts(proper english, as always, is optional). After that I'm ignoring what you have to say in that thread that's directed to what we previously were talking about.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 22. Apr 11, 21:51

Damage per second is approximately the same--however, the speed of shot of FAA is considerably faster than CFA, so FAA is generally more efficient because it's more likely to hit. CFA looks pretty, though!

deca.death
x3tc

Post by deca.death » Fri, 22. Apr 11, 22:05

FAA shoots quicker as mentioned, has slightly greater range, on the other hand CFA (should) compensate all that with bigger BANG, he sends shrapnels on wider area behind initial hit zone and each of them explode, sort like a big explosive shotgun. in theory CFA /with little luck/ could be more deadly for large group of fighters. in theory.

dalin80
x3tc

Post by dalin80 » Fri, 22. Apr 11, 22:47

As the CFA never hits anything anyway the damage it creates is a moot point.

I believe there was a patch for the flak weapons but I have still never seen either CFA or FBL do a single point of damage to anything ever.

FAA all the way.
Pilot of the Purple Elephant

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Fri, 22. Apr 11, 23:12

dalin80 wrote:As the CFA never hits anything anyway the damage it creates is a moot point.

I believe there was a patch for the flak weapons but I have still never seen either CFA or FBL do a single point of damage to anything ever.

FAA all the way.
This was fixed in a patch and they do now work as they should, I've got some on my Griffon's front turret and they always hit their target.

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Fri, 22. Apr 11, 23:46

I second this. The front turret battery on my Griffon is fully-loaded with CFAA's. It has no trouble tearing apart anything smaller than a frigate.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Flozem
x3tc

Post by Flozem » Sat, 23. Apr 11, 00:21

yep - just encountered a Pirate Carrack and Brigantine both carrying CFA... quite the shock when it hit my Hyperion Vanguard.

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Sat, 23. Apr 11, 01:24

Flozem wrote:yep - just encountered a Pirate Carrack and Brigantine both carrying CFA... quite the shock when it hit my Hyperion Vanguard.
Yeah, and I ran across a Carrack with CFAs recently during a station defense mission. Usually my Panther's Chimera wing can rip any opponent to shreds with massed HEPT fire, but to my chagrin the damn thing began blasting my Chimeras to shrapnel before they could do much damage.

After the fourth one bit the dust, I reloaded. I redid the mission with the Chimeras docked and had no further problems.

And FBLs work now, too (and have since at least 3.0). I started my trading fleet by attacking Duke's ships from the cockpit of a Rapier (the idea being to make them bail, patch 'em up, and put 'em to work). I learned to be more careful after the first one I attacked tore me to shreds with FBL fire. The first couple of shots brought down my shields, and before I knew what hit me I was back at the main menu.
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

Venereus

Post by Venereus » Sat, 23. Apr 11, 01:38

Also to consider is the CFA+IonD turret combo. The chain lightning from the IonD jumps between the sharpnel and increases the effectiveness of the CFA's AoE effect against cluttered foes (provided they're within range of the IonD). I've used it with my Boreas, works nicely.

Flozem
x3tc

Post by Flozem » Sat, 23. Apr 11, 07:52

StarSword wrote:
Flozem wrote:yep - just encountered a Pirate Carrack and Brigantine both carrying CFA... quite the shock when it hit my Hyperion Vanguard.
Yeah, and I ran across a Carrack with CFAs recently during a station defense mission. Usually my Panther's Chimera wing can rip any opponent to shreds with massed HEPT fire, but to my chagrin the damn thing began blasting my Chimeras to shrapnel before they could do much damage.

After the fourth one bit the dust, I reloaded. I redid the mission with the Chimeras docked and had no further problems.

And FBLs work now, too (and have since at least 3.0). I started my trading fleet by attacking Duke's ships from the cockpit of a Rapier (the idea being to make them bail, patch 'em up, and put 'em to work). I learned to be more careful after the first one I attacked tore me to shreds with FBL fire. The first couple of shots brought down my shields, and before I knew what hit me I was back at the main menu.
It actually felt like being hit by PBG's I was like: oh no - forgot to save.... glad I was in a 220M/s Hyperion Vanguard, so I was out of reach quick enough. 8)

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 23. Apr 11, 08:25

StarSword wrote: And FBLs work now, too (and have since at least 3.0).
They're still pretty useless with that 300-odd m/s speed of shot--I'm amazed anything managed to hit you in a Rapier with one; you must have been about 50m from the muzzle, or else you were flying in a dead straight line without turning aside as this ball of death bore down on you!

Flozem
x3tc

Post by Flozem » Sat, 23. Apr 11, 10:21

Lol - yeah it's increadably easy to dodge if you're flying at decent speed. But sometimes there is a certain ship you want to get to bail whilst still flying a puny ship...

I had a similar experience trying to cap a medusa prototype mercenary ship in my Mamba derelict using pulsed beam emitters.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Sat, 23. Apr 11, 13:15

FBL is actually occasionally useful. Surprising no? Well, slap one in the rear turret shoot at an explosive mine, and accelerate. The slow shot speed means it won't hit before you're out of range.

Plus the fixed detonation range means you can fire at a distance that even if you miss pretty close, it'll blow it.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”