Mobile Mining-Base ship

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Slashman
x4

Mobile Mining-Base ship

Post by Slashman » Sun, 24. Apr 11, 17:06

I've noticed a Mobile Mining base ship for sale in Terran space.

I was wondering a few things about this. Is this ship comparable to the large transports that other races have?(the ones that move stations etc.?)

Also, can you setup transports to mine minerals and return them to this ship? Even in different sectors? It seems like something I'd be interested in...since I don't really want to get into building complexes right now.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

wathman00
x4

Post by wathman00 » Sun, 24. Apr 11, 17:17

The MMBS is almost identical to an Argon Mammoth in specs and functions exactly the same. Any TL can be used as a base of operations for a fleet of mining ships, though to be effective you'll need to have transporter devices on them so they can beam their cargos to the TL. There are lots of posts on specific software settings and configurations to help set up a mining operation.

Slashman
x4

Post by Slashman » Sun, 24. Apr 11, 18:55

Hmmm...thanks!

I'll give it a try and see how mining works out.

Ripskar
x3ap

Post by Ripskar » Mon, 25. Apr 11, 00:47

The basic stats are fairly similar to the Argon Mammoth, though the MMBS does have a few tricks up its sleeve. Its a lot slimmer for one so can avoid traffic a little more easily, Has a fair amount of built in kit centred around the mobile mining concept, can be quite heavily armed for a TL, I haven't tested this feature out yet though having a Q coming up behind it on the way to a shipyard makes this something to watch.
Do you miss dangerous pirates?
Try leading the target a little more...

ImageCobra Mk. III Cmdr.

Slashman
x4

Post by Slashman » Mon, 25. Apr 11, 02:28

Ripskar wrote:The basic stats are fairly similar to the Argon Mammoth, though the MMBS does have a few tricks up its sleeve. Its a lot slimmer for one so can avoid traffic a little more easily, Has a fair amount of built in kit centred around the mobile mining concept, can be quite heavily armed for a TL, I haven't tested this feature out yet though having a Q coming up behind it on the way to a shipyard makes this something to watch.
Hmmm...seems I have about 48 mil in my account so I thought it might be worth it to see what I can do with a mining setup.

My M7 can wait for now.

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Mon, 25. Apr 11, 05:21

Ripskar wrote:... can be quite heavily armed for a TL, I haven't tested this feature out yet though having a Q coming up behind it on the way to a shipyard makes this something to watch.
I have, and if you go the full-guns route, one PSP barrage from one battery drains about a quarter of the ship's energy reserves (though whether the recharge rate is greater than the reload rate is another question, one I don't have the answer to). Same goes for a full battery of SSCs. Also, the MMBS's forward and dorsal batteries can only mount MDS and TB, so you're left with broadside for attack and stern for flak. And it has no ventral battery at all (but neither does the Mammoth).

Still, one PSP barrage is enough to make the enemy think twice. I recently took my new Osaka for a spin in a station defense mission. I fired a single volley from its eight forward PSPs at an enemy M6. BOOM! And at least a couple shots kept going!

I don't care what people say about Terran ships being overpowered; that was fun.

My opinion is that the two ships are functionally the same. I've got one of each -- MMBS Kodiak and Mammoth Maersk -- and have them trade off when I'm building complexes: one gets a load of stations and jumps to sector, the other goes to the shipyard and I build from the first, and so on. Each one carries four fully armed Cutlasses for defense (only needed once, when Kodiak got accidentally caught up in a station defense mission).
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 25. Apr 11, 10:12

wathman00 wrote:The MMBS is almost identical to an Argon Mammoth in specs and functions exactly the same. Any TL can be used as a base of operations for a fleet of mining ships, though to be effective you'll need to have transporter devices on them so they can beam their cargos to the TL.
Wouldn't it work just having a transporter device on the TL? It does in any other situation when you're transferring cargo between ships, so I'd be surprised if it was different in that one!

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Mon, 25. Apr 11, 14:58

pjknibbs wrote:Wouldn't it work just having a transporter device on the TL?
It would make sense, but the CLS1/2 script makes it explicitly plain that the TD /has/ to be on the CLS ship(s), not the source ship. I've tested this & found it to be true :(

If you're moving freight manually it makes more sense to have just one TD on the source ship, of course
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

thyco
x4

Post by thyco » Mon, 25. Apr 11, 15:38

Id becareful with the MMBS when heading into Loomonkstrats legacy though. for same reason if it comes through the north gate it will plow through an asteroid and leave a debrie field right infront of the gate.

breytac
x4

Post by breytac » Mon, 25. Apr 11, 16:57

Best way to set up a mobile mining op is to use the MMBS and a wing of miner-class TS ships (ie the Vulture Miner TS available at some Teladi shipyards). The miner class TS's and the MMBS allow the pilots to be more efficient at their job. I should also point out that if you wish to do mbile mining, it would be a good idea to grap the Prospector and Sector Scanner scripts. Both will mark your game as modified, so don't use these scripts if you wish to play a vanilla game

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Mon, 25. Apr 11, 18:36

The big thing about the MMBS is that it's essentially a Miner Variant of a TL. It's got all the extra bits of a Miner variant, but TL sized.

That and the different model are the only differences from a Mammoth.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

deca.death
x3tc

Post by deca.death » Mon, 25. Apr 11, 18:44

Slashman wrote:
Hmmm...seems I have about 48 mil in my account so I thought it might be worth it to see what I can do with a mining setup.

My M7 can wait for now.

invest that money in closed loop complex better.

i have 7 TLs, and i have sold 4, i have never bought TL, ever.
they are real joke to steal. it doesn't have to be MMBS. OL usually has two civilian TLs in any time and just few military vessels which latter on you coul apologize, or just ram : )

Catra

Post by Catra » Mon, 25. Apr 11, 20:13

deca.death wrote:
Slashman wrote:

My M7 can wait for now.

invest that money in closed loop complex better.

i have 7 TLs, and i have sold 4, i have never bought TL, ever.
they are real joke to steal. it doesn't have to be MMBS. OL usually has two civilian TLs in any time and just few military vessels which latter on you coul apologize, or just ram : )
IMO if you're going to steal a TL you might as well commit to stealing the best one: the Atmo lifter.
Just saying it forward: I give everyone 2 posts to make good, in context posts(proper english, as always, is optional). After that I'm ignoring what you have to say in that thread that's directed to what we previously were talking about.

deca.death
x3tc

Post by deca.death » Mon, 25. Apr 11, 21:10

Catra wrote:
IMO if you're going to steal a TL you might as well commit to stealing the best one: the Atmo lifter.

although I respect his cargo hold i don't like that ship too much. it's sheer ugliness is eye popping. that's no ship, that's planet utility craft and it should never left the stratosphere. i stole one just for the curiosity, it serves me well in few complex builds. mamooth is "real man" ship. looks mean and like a real spaceship. there is nothing that AtmoLift could do i couldn't do better with two mamooths : )

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Mon, 25. Apr 11, 22:55

deca.death wrote:although I respect his cargo hold i don't like that ship too much. it's sheer ugliness is eye popping. that's no ship, that's planet utility craft and it should never left the stratosphere. i stole one just for the curiosity, it serves me well in few complex builds. mamooth is "real man" ship. looks mean and like a real spaceship. there is nothing that AtmoLift could do i couldn't do better with two mamooths : )
Not to mention what happens when you try to fly it IS. You thought bugsplatting was bad with an M7? The atmo lifter is a freaking bulldozer because it flies with the big side facing forward. Plus, it is completely reliant on its fighters for defense (whereas the Mammoth and MMBS can carry capital ship weapons).

Though I'll give it this: it's faster than either of them.
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

Slashman
x4

Post by Slashman » Tue, 26. Apr 11, 04:18

Well this is getting to be an interesting thread.

In any case, I don't have a whole lot of interest in complexes. I'm more a 'whizz around the universe and see what's out there type'. I may build a complex sometime in the future...but I'm fine with taking a stab at mining.

Slashman
x4

Post by Slashman » Fri, 29. Apr 11, 07:16

Not sure if anyone is still paying attention to this thread but I have hit a wall with my mining plan.

I've got 3 Mercuries with mining setups and my base ship sitting in the sector I want to mine...but I can't select the base ship as an unload point for the Merc Miners.

I have a transporter device in each miner...is there something I'm missing? Or do I have to do it manually for each ship(which would really suck)?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 29. Apr 11, 08:37

Are the Mercuries homebased to the MMBS?

Slashman
x4

Post by Slashman » Fri, 29. Apr 11, 15:26

pjknibbs wrote:Are the Mercuries homebased to the MMBS?
Hmmm...I am actually not sure that they are. I'll check it once I get home.

I didn't know that was a requirement since it asks you to select a drop off ship or station when you select the mining command.

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Fri, 29. Apr 11, 16:02

@Slashman: I'm not sure if it's a requirement or not. However, your evidence suggests that it is.

If you're using the Mine Minerals command, the drop-off point will default to the miner's homebase. And you can homebase any ship smaller than M7 to any ship that has docking bays (regardless of whether the ship can actually dock there).

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”