Asteroid scanning command..

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

TheGoldElite
x4

Asteroid scanning command..

Post by TheGoldElite » Tue, 26. Apr 11, 17:19

I was wondering, it seems to me that asteroids only register when I press T then aim at the asteroid, then it shows up on my map. So I was wondering if I let a kestrel loose in a sector set to scan all asteroids, then it's not really going to work very well is it? I'm having limited success trying to scan all asteroids in the Unkown sector North of Argon Sector 148, mostly due to the obscene number of scous though. But still does the comman work well or does it not register all asteroids??

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Tue, 26. Apr 11, 17:20

Always seemed to work ok for me when I've used it. Just make sure you give it a large enough search area.

Best done OOS, too.

*edit* Or perhaps not. Think I might have got it mixed up with the sector explorer software command...
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

mordtech
x3tc

Post by mordtech » Tue, 26. Apr 11, 17:24

auto map the sector first, and then auto scan the asteroids staying OOS.
split alive!

TheGoldElite
x4

Post by TheGoldElite » Tue, 26. Apr 11, 17:26

Why would I have to say OOS? and when you say auto-scan, do you mean use the explore sector command?

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Tue, 26. Apr 11, 17:26

I'm not sure, but I think it'll only scan asteroids you've actually found. Of course, the scanning ship can often help itself along by spotting new asteroids. This works best if it has a triplex scanner (which requires M-class cargo space).

A decent solution in the Commonwealth is to take every asteroid scanning mission you can get. Not only do you get a guidance arrow to the next asteroid, you get paid per asteroid to scan them. This can translate to a cool million-plus credits per mission at mid- to high trade rank (and if you take multiple missions in parallel, you'll frequently be scanning the same asteroid for multiple missions). This was the solution I took for my recent advanced satellite plex in Rhy's Desire. (It's on my links page if you're interested, near the bottom of the complex list.)

Unfortunately, asteroid scanning missions don't appear to be available in Terran space (at least, I've never gotten one). For building in the Asteroid Belt and so on, you're pretty much stuck with the Scan Asteroids command (or hoofing it yourself and using the Mark I Eyeball to find them).

EDIT: Staying OOS is only really necessary if you're using a super-fast ship like the Kestrel to scan things. Put simply, it's the auto-pillock's fault: Kestrels and other M5s crash a lot because they're too fast for the pathfinding AI. I'm on my fifth iteration of my Kestrel, Blue Blur V, because Blue Blur I through IV ran into s*** when I was IS with it in a different ship.
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

TheGoldElite
x4

Post by TheGoldElite » Tue, 26. Apr 11, 17:32

It now keeps docking in the adjacent sector. I need to scan all the asteroids in this on for the plot. If I order it to scan all asteroids, it will enter through the gate, head to the nearest asteroid, which has already been scanned, then return to the adjacent sector again : / ?!?!? It's predecessor scanned all asteroids but three according to the sector map, before the khaak destroyed it. I guess I'll have to scan the remaining ones myself, but is the command any good?

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Tue, 26. Apr 11, 17:40

Oh, so you're in the mission of OFF where you have to scan high-yield asteroids? I hated that one: I found at least five asteroids of 20 yield or above, but the game has three specific roids it wants.
Spoiler
Show
I don't have my game in front of me at the moment, but two are on the north edge of the map (one in the northeast quadrant, the other in the northwest), and the other is in the southwest quadrant near the west edge of the map.
Your best bet is to have two Kestrels tuned to around 400 m/s: one uses the "Map Sector" command, centered at the sector center with a radius of 150 km, the other does "Scan All Asteroids in Sector". Meanwhile, you fly a fast fighter (a Solano should do it, though I used the Xperimental Shuttle) and keep the Kha'ak Scouts off their asses.
TC unless otherwise specified. | Find me on Steam! | My X3TC Links | X and X Rebirth @ TVTropes

StarSword
x3tc

Post by StarSword » Tue, 26. Apr 11, 20:50

Just learned by testing that coordinates on X3TC.ru are measured in meters. Now I can actually read off the location of a hard-to-find asteroid or some such and send a ship to it.

Infekted
x3tc

Post by Infekted » Tue, 26. Apr 11, 20:59

As stated you need to map the sector first, if the roid is not on your map, the scout wont scan it. That is why they will when you manually target them, as you are basically "mapping" it. I usually have five or so M5s set at different heights on the Y-axis, set to search from the center at 50-150km depending on the size. Although in hostile space you may want to do this manually.
Remaining OOS is not only important for safety, but also for speed. Collision detection in a heavy field will cause your scouts to tardstep all over the place.
Staying OOS allows them to travel in straight lines, which also enhances their survivability. Not much can touch a kestrel gunning it OOS.

mordtech
x3tc

Post by mordtech » Tue, 26. Apr 11, 21:05

what he said... :wink: nice one. sorted.
split alive!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”